Fixed star alignments (July 20, 2008)

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 20, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Bered (12 Aquilae)

      Nova Aquilae 1905 (V604 Aquilae)

      Phantom Streak (NGC 6741 Aquilae)

      *Vega (Alpha Lyrae)

      Rukbat (Alpha Sagittarii)

      *Arkab Prior (Beta-1 Sagittarii)

      *Arkab Posterior (Beta-2 Sagittarii)

      *Manubrium (Omicron Sagittarii)

      Albaldah (Pi Sagittarii)

      *Alya (Theta Serpentis; the brightest star in Serpens Cauda)

      Saturn

      Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)

      Shir (Rho Leonis)

      *SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable)

      Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

      *Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)

      Keenan System (NGC 5216/5218 Ursae Majoris; interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the filament)

      *CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

      Uranus

      Fetus Nebula (NGC 7008 Cygni)

      Sadalpheretz (Lambda Pegasi)

      Simmah (Gamma Piscium)

      *Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks what once was the now-obsolete constellation Solarium [the Sundial])

      Neptune

      Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

      Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

      Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)

      Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)

      Pluto

      Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)

      Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; aka Munich 15040)

      Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)

      Reynolds' Star (G1.9+0.3 Sagittarii, a very recent [1878] supernova discovered
      by Stephen Reynolds, et al)

      Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; an open cluster, aka Ptolemy's Cluster)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)

      Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      Ceres

      *HT Camelopardalis

      *Z Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Cor Monocerotis (19 Monocerotis; close to the heart of Monoceros the Unicorn)

      Pallas

      *Segin (Epsilon Cassiopeiae)

      *Zaurak (Gamma Eridani)

      *Gorgonia Secunda (Pi Persei)

      *Gorgonia Tertia (Rho Persei)

      *Capulus (NGC 869/884 Persei, aka h/Chi Persei and the Double Cluster in Perseus)

      *Esat (5 Tauri)

      Juno

      *Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star, or lucida, in Apus the Bird of Paradise)

      *RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Sarin (Delta Herculis)

      Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)

      *Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Trianguli Australe)

      Vesta

      *Keun Nan Mun Primus (Phi Andromedae)

      IC 10 X-1 (Cassiopeiae)

      *Alphirk (Beta Cephei)

      *79 Ceti (has a planet)

      *Chi 1-2-3 (Chi-1/Chi-2/Chi-3 Fornacis, aka Harrington STAR 2)

      *Metallah (Alpha Trianguli)

      Chiron

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small asterism around 29 Cygni composed mostly of blue stars that is said to resemble an emu, with a red star in its neck)

      Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      *Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

      Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)

      *Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      IL Vulpeculae

      *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      North Node

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni)

      Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      Al Salib (Delta Delphini)

      HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

      Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 and 5150 Gruis)

      QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      South Node

      NGC 2775 (Cancri; a galaxy)

      Outcast Star (SDSS J090745.0+024507 Hydrae; is leaving the galaxy at a high
      rate of speed)

      Alterf (Lambda Leonis)

      NGC 2903 (Leonis; galaxy, said to be a malefic influence by the late Byron
      Wahl)

      RR Pictoris (cataclysmic variable)

      Naos (Zeta Puppis)

      CP Puppis (cataclysmic variable)

    • astrocalypse@blueyonder.co.uk
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 26, 2008
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7525597.stm

        Mars rising when plane took off from Hong Kong at 9am. The accident
        happened between 9-10 am, exact time and location unknown.

        Certainly an element of luck if you ask me, despite Makemake's alignment
        with Denebola, and opposed by Uranus.

        Mark, whats the chance of including the bird on your fixed stars list?
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 2008
          If Pluto is a planet, then so is Eris; they're about the same size and share pretty much the same characteristics. They and Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune and the five most commonly used asteroids (Ceres, Pallas, Juno, Vesta and Chiron) go in the weekly reports.

          On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with looking at alignments to other asteroids, like Hidalgo, Pandora, Lilith, or Makemake.

          Mark A. Holmes

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 2008
            > If Pluto is a planet, then so is Eris; they're about the same size and
            > share pretty much the same characteristics. They and Jupiter, Saturn,
            > Uranus and Neptune and the five most commonly used asteroids (Ceres,
            > Pallas, Juno, Vesta and Chiron) go in the weekly reports.
            >
            > On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with looking at alignments to
            > other asteroids, like Hidalgo, Pandora, Lilith, or Makemake.
            >
            > Mark A. Holmes

            If I am not mistaken, Pluto was demoted to a 'dwarf' status. The only
            other dwarf planets are Ceres, Eris and the newly named Makemake*, so you
            already included three out of four. I would love the idea for your list
            to include more asteroids such as Hidalgo, Pandora, Lilith if you feel its
            fitting to do so, Mark.

            I wish I know how to incorporate these ex-asteroids into my fixed stars
            list on Solar Fire Gold which has been severely misbehaving recently.
            Probably because I am up to my eyebrow with work up to this last week
            (thank gawd for the summer break) and couldn't spend time showing it
            enough TLC and understanding.

            btw, anyone has 'missing Moon' problems with SFG? It seems to throw out
            the progressed Moon in the bi-wheels. It also enjoys resetting the date
            of the Stellarium to 4687BC.

            * http://www.iau.org/public_press/news/release/iau0806/
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2008
              the pluto argument generally makes me chuckle, astrologers argueing
              about whether or not its a planet that is, as in astrology the sun
              and moon are also treated as planets.

              Really what is it to you what the UAI thinks? after all they dont
              think there is any substance to AStrology, are you going to pay
              attention to that pronouncement as well?

              Missb

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2008
                Yeah, in astrology, Pluto is a major planet regardless of what the astronomers say, and it looks like Eris is too.  I just think they've handled the controversy wrong.

                I don't know yet if Makemake's alignments rate going in the weekly reports like Ceres and the other Big Four asteroids and Chiron. Although I wouldn't object in the least to people posting about those alignments (or other asteroid alignments) on this list.

                Mark A. Holmes

                --- In thefixedstars@ yahoogroups. com, Mark Andrew Holmes
                <mahtezcatpoc@ ...> wrote:

                > If Pluto is a planet, then so is Eris; they're about the same size
                and share pretty much the same characteristics. They and Jupiter,
                Saturn, Uranus and Neptune and the five most commonly used asteroids
                (Ceres, Pallas, Juno, Vesta and Chiron) go in the weekly reports.

                > On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with looking at alignments
                to other asteroids, like Hidalgo, Pandora, Lilith, or Makemake.

                > Mark A. Holmes

              • oparhi
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2008
                  IAU met in Oslo in June and made a decision on Pluto and Eris. The new policy allows Pluto
                  to be the standard for a whole new category of dwarf planets. From now on all similar
                  distant bodies in the solar system will be called "plutoids." Pluto is one of only two
                  plutoids, the other being Eris. Both are objects that circle the sun and are too small to be
                  considered planets, but big enough to have a level of gravity that keeps them in a near
                  spherical shape. Plutoids also must be farther from the sun than Neptune.
                  I don't know if it matters much for astrologers if Pluto is a standard "leader of the gang"
                  or not, anyway I suppose it has a place in astrology that doesn't change that fast. I agree
                  that that astrology isn't that logical in keeping the moon among the planets, but that's the
                  way people have seen it during the few thousand years, being so close to the earth. Maybe
                  people feel it needs to be so. But anyone can call a moon as moon, and planets as planets
                  without referring to the group of planets in astrology. People don't usually use earth in
                  astrology, though it is a planet. There's no specific name for earth's moon used, like you
                  would use for a moon of Jupiter, and so on. We have to stand here on earth and watch the
                  sky and count the things we see or know there are. Or believe there are. And then choose
                  the important ones.

                  luv
                  Outi

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 28, 2008

                    IAU met in Oslo in June and made a decision on Pluto and Eris. The new policy allows Pluto
                    to be the standard for a whole new category of dwarf planets. From now on all similar
                    distant bodies in the solar system will be called "plutoids." Pluto is one of only two
                    plutoids, the other being Eris. Both are objects that circle the sun and are too small to be
                    considered planets, but big enough to have a level of gravity that keeps them in a near
                    spherical shape.

                    Is it size or them not "clearing their orbits," whatever that means? I agree with Alan Stern (head of the New Horizons probe project at NASA) that a clear, rational and simple standard for planet definition that anyone can easily understand is required (what he calls the Star Trek standard--like, Captain Kirk of the starship Enterprise can just look at it and say "that's a planet" without having to be a professional planetary astronomer with a doctorate degree). The IAU should have had general agreement that Pluto and Eris are not major planets according to a clear, rational and simple standard before they demoted Pluto.  Not that it really matters one way or the other strictly from the standpoint of astrology.

                    The astronomers can continue to debate, and astrology will go on as it has. I may decide that Makemake's alignments are worth putting in the weekly reports, and I may not.

                    Mark A. Holmes

                  • sisterbellabee@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 28, 2008
                      In a message dated 7/27/2008 11:39:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time, scoppias@... writes:
                      I don't know if it matters much for astrologers if Pluto is a standard "leader of the gang"
                      or not, anyway I suppose it has a place in astrology that doesn't change that fast.
                      Thanks Outi, I've been thinking about this and find the notions of the IAU for naming these TransNeptunian Objects... provocative.  The Plutinos, including Pluto, Huya, Ixion and Orcus, fall 'in resonance' with Neptune.  Cubewanos such as Makemake, Varuna, Quaoar, and "Smiley" are 'not controlled by Neptune'... a distinction that seems worthy of note, astrologically.  Then of course there is Sedna, from the Oort cloud, a "TransNeptunian Object" considered 'detached' from these classifications:

                      There are more detailed guidelines for unusual Minor Planets in certain dynamical groups, for example:
                      • Trojan asteroids (those that librate in 1:1 resonance with Jupiter) are named for heroes of the Trojan War (Greeks at L4 and Trojans at L5).
                      • Trans-Jovian Planets crossing or approaching the orbit of a giant Planet but not in a stabilizing resonance (so called Centaurs) are named for centaurs.
                      • Objects crossing or approaching the orbit of Neptune and in stabilizing resonances other than 1:1 (notably the Plutinos at the 2:3 resonance) are given mythological names associated with the underworld
                      • Objects sufficiently outside Neptune's orbit that orbital stability is reasonably assured for a substantial fraction of the lifetime of the solar system (so called Cubewanos or "classical" TNOs) are given mythological names associated with creation.
                      • Objects that approach or cross Earth's orbit (so called Near Earth Asteroids) are generally given mythological names.

                      I'm wondering if we might expect similar effects from the transits of various Plutoids, and/or if they can be distinguished from those of the cubewanos.

                      Here Eric Francis is noting an 'elemental' pattern of names that show up in each type of the TransNeptunians, perhaps the IAU is not terribly consistent:

                       I have only a little experience with recognizing them in natal horoscopes, few people care to reveal so much about themselves to invite such scrutiny, except for the astrologically educated to whom they hold no small measure of fascination.

                      I am looking forward to learning the name of 2003 EL61, whose apparent discovery ushered in the announcements for Eris and Makemake.  At their discovery I went back and thought that at the dawn of January 1600 these three 'new planets' were all in pretty close alignment in the late degrees of Taurus.  This was when Galileo was refining his telescopes; the transiting opposition of Saturn and Uranus in square with his own Saturn/Jupiter conjunction.  Perhaps the inconjunct Fixed grand cross of several of these outer planets with transit Neptune, had something to do with his compulsive artistry and comprehension?

                      Sincerely, Sherri

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 16, 2009

                        > As of midnight GMT.
                        >
                        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
                        (with a 1 00' orb).

                        > Jupiter
                        >

                        > Bered (12 Aquilae)
                        >
                        > Nova Aquilae 1905 (V604 Aquilae)
                        >
                        > Phantom Streak (NGC 6741 Aquilae)
                        >
                        > *Vega (Alpha Lyrae)
                        >
                        > Rukbat (Alpha Sagittarii)
                        >
                        > *Arkab Prior (Beta-1 Sagittarii)
                        >
                        > *Arkab Posterior (Beta-2 Sagittarii)
                        >
                        > *Manubrium (Omicron Sagittarii)
                        >
                        > Albaldah (Pi Sagittarii)
                        >
                        > *Alya (Theta Serpentis; the brightest star in Serpens Cauda)

                        an appendix, a "lump of fat"

                        > Saturn
                        >

                        > Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)
                        >
                        > Shir (Rho Leonis)
                        >
                        > *SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable)

                        having to do with the Southwest

                        > Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
                        >
                        > *Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)
                        >
                        > Keenan System (NGC 5216/5218 Ursae Majoris; interacting galaxies
                        connected by a filament on the Draco border south of Thuban. Named
                        for the astronomer Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
                        filament)

                        > *CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

                        spying, voyeurism, dismissive ("see you")

                        > Uranus
                        >

                        > Fetus Nebula (NGC 7008 Cygni)
                        >
                        > Sadalpheretz (Lambda Pegasi)
                        >
                        > Simmah (Gamma Piscium)
                        >
                        > *Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks what once was the now-obsolete
                        constellation Solarium [the Sundial])

                        a guide that becomes useless in bad times

                        > Neptune
                        >

                        > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
                        >
                        > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
                        >
                        > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
                        >
                        > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
                        >
                        > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
                        >
                        > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
                        >

                        > Pluto
                        >

                        > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
                        >
                        > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
                        >
                        > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
                        >
                        > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
                        >
                        > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; aka Munich 15040)
                        >
                        > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
                        >
                        > Reynolds' Star (G1.9+0.3 Sagittarii, a very recent [1878] supernova
                        discovered
                        > by Stephen Reynolds, et al)
                        >
                        > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; an open cluster, aka Ptolemy's Cluster)
                        >

                        > Eris
                        >

                        > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
                        >
                        > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
                        >
                        > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
                        >

                        > Ceres
                        >

                        > *HT Camelopardalis

                        "hot"?

                        > *Z Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable)

                        "zzzzzz"(?)

                        > *Cor Monocerotis (19 Monocerotis; close to the heart of Monoceros
                        the Unicorn)

                        a pure or delicate heart?

                        > Pallas
                        >

                        > *Segin (Epsilon Cassiopeiae)
                        >
                        > *Zaurak (Gamma Eridani)
                        >
                        > *Gorgonia Secunda (Pi Persei)

                        a monster that came back

                        > *Gorgonia Tertia (Rho Persei)

                        a monster that's here to stay

                        > *Capulus (NGC 869/884 Persei, aka h/Chi Persei and the Double
                        Cluster in Perseus)

                        > *Esat (5 Tauri)
                        >

                        > Juno
                        >

                        > *Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star, or lucida, in
                        Apus the Bird of Paradise)

                        not touching the ground

                        > *RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)

                        railroads

                        > *Sarin (Delta Herculis)
                        >
                        > Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)
                        >
                        > *Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Trianguli Australe)
                        >

                        > Vesta
                        >

                        > *Keun Nan Mun Primus (Phi Andromedae)

                        immigration a priority

                        > IC 10 X-1 (Cassiopeiae)
                        >
                        > *Alphirk (Beta Cephei)
                        >
                        > *79 Ceti (has a planet)
                        >
                        > *Chi 1-2-3 (Chi-1/Chi-2/Chi-3 Fornacis, aka Harrington STAR 2)
                        >
                        > *Metallah (Alpha Trianguli)
                        >

                        > Chiron
                        >

                        > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
                        >
                        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
                        >
                        > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small asterism
                        around 29 Cygni composed mostly of blue stars that is said to
                        resemble an emu, with a red star in its neck)

                        > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
                        >
                        > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
                        >
                        > *Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

                        stubborn kids

                        > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
                        >
                        > *Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)
                        >
                        > IL Vulpeculae
                        >
                        > *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

                        time to come in

                        > North Node
                        >

                        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
                        >
                        > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni)
                        >
                        > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
                        >
                        > Al Salib (Delta Delphini)
                        >
                        > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
                        >
                        > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
                        >
                        > Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)
                        >
                        > *Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 and 5150 Gruis)

                        a lingering presence, haunted

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Vega.html

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/ArkabPrior.html

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Manubrium.html

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Alya.html

                          > > Saturn
                          > >

                          > > Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)
                          > >
                          > > Shir (Rho Leonis)
                          > >
                          > > *SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable)
                          >

                          > having to do with the Southwest
                          >

                          > > Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
                          > >
                          > > *Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/AlulaBoreale.html

                          quick responses?

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Segin.html

                          > > *Zaurak (Gamma Eridani)

                          Arabic = the boat

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Zaurak.html

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Capulus.html

                          > > *Esat (5 Tauri)

                          Geez = fire

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Sarin.html

                          > > Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)
                          > >
                          > > *Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Trianguli Australe)
                          > >

                          > > Vesta
                          > >

                          > > *Keun Nan Mun Primus (Phi Andromedae)
                          >

                          > immigration a priority
                          >

                          > > IC 10 X-1 (Cassiopeiae)
                          > >
                          > > *Alphirk (Beta Cephei)

                          Arabic = the flock

                          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Alphirk.html

                          > > *79 Ceti (has a planet)
                          > >
                          > > *Chi 1-2-3 (Chi-1/Chi-2/Chi-3 Fornacis, aka Harrington STAR 2)

                          "third time is the charm," "bad things come in threes" (chi = Greek
                          letter representing chance)

                          > > *Metallah (Alpha Trianguli)

                          Arabic = head of the triangle