Re: Fixed star alignments (May 4, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2008

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
      (with a 1 00' orb).

      > Jupiter
      >

      > Van Biesbroeck's Star (Gliese 752 B Aquilae)
      >
      > Snowglobe Nebula (NGC 6781 Aquilae)
      >
      > Sulaphat (Gamma Lyrae)
      >
      > Cor Pavonis (Sigma Pavonis; marking Pavo the Peacock's heart)
      >
      > Merrill's Star (M 1-67 Sagittae; a protoplanetary nebula)
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > Drys (Chi Carinae)
      >
      > Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)
      >
      > T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has planets)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > q1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)
      >
      > Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks the obsolete constellation Solarium
      the Sundial)

      > Simmah (Gamma Eridani)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      >
      > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
      >
      > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
      >
      > Sador (Gamma Cygni)
      >
      > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
      >
      > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
      >
      > Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)
      >
      > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
      >
      > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is sometimes shown
      holding in his hand, sometimes Cerberus)

      > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy close to the
      south celestial pole, even closer than Polaris Australis, hence the name)

      > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus
      Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull], of which Fellah is also a part)

      > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
      >
      > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and Trifid Nebulas
      plus the star cluster M-21)

      > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii, a protoplanetary nebula)
      >
      > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Deneb Zirafah (Gamma Camelopardalis)

      Arabic = tail of the giraffe (my own coinage)

      > *CI Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
      >
      > *Oyster Nebula (NGC 1501 Camelopardalis)

      having to do with seafood (labor to harvest or pack them?)

      > *Westbrook Nebula (CRL 618 Persei)
      >
      > *RV Tauri

      having to do with RVs or RVing

      > Pallas
      >

      > *IX Draconis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Acamar (Theta Eridani)
      >
      > *NGC 326 (Piscium; galaxy, possibly with colliding black holes)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > *Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      isolated, solitary, brooding

      > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
      >
      > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; also known as Munich 15040 and Velox
      > Barnardi--fairly well-known nearby star)
      >
      > *Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)

      something struggling to be born

      > *Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      in torment

      > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)

      hammering away at something

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Al Nitham (Phi Ceti)

      Arabic = string of pearls

      > *Skull Nebula (NGC 246 Ceti)

      having to do with death

      > *Pegasus 2 Cluster (NGC 7720 Pegasi)
      >
      > *Lucida Reticuli (Alpha Reticuli, the brightest star in Reticulum
      the Net)

      catching something

      > Chiron
      >

      > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
      >
      > 16 Cygni B (has a planet)
      >
      > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
      >
      > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
      >
      > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus was
      Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      > IL Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > North Node
      >

      > *Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      >
      > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
      >
      > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
      >
      > Sador (Gamma Cygni)
      >
      > Sze Wei (Beta Equulei)
      >
      > Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)
      >
      > *Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      >

      > South Node
      >

      > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      being able to see something in dim light?

      > *MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)

      "melts in your mouth, not in your hand"?

      > Subra (Omicron Leonis)
      >
      > Peanut Nebula in Leo (CW Leonis)

      having to do with entertainment (like circuses) or circus-like things?

      > *Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1212 Leonis)

      something or somebody proud taking offense

      > Lucida Pictoris (Alpha Pictoris; the brightest star, or lucida, of
      Pictor the Easel)