Re: Fixed star alignments (April 20, 2008)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28 7:33 PM

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
      (with a 1 00' orb).

      > Jupiter
      >

      > Van Biesbroeck's Star (Gliese 752 B Aquilae)
      >
      > *Snowglobe Nebula (NGC 6781 Aquilae)

      fantasies

      > Sulaphat (Gamma Lyrae)
      >
      > Cor Pavonis (Sigma Pavonis; marking Pavo the Peacock's heart)
      >
      > *Merrill's Star (M 1-67 Sagittae; a proto-planetary nebulae)
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > *Drys (Chi Carinae)

      Greek = tree

      (having to do with trees)

      > *Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)

      Latin = principal

      (who's the first?)

      > T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has planets)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > q1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)
      >
      > Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks the obsolete constellation Solarium
      the Sundial)

      > Simmah (Gamma Eridani)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      >
      > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
      >
      > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
      >
      > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
      >
      > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
      >
      > Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)
      >
      > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
      >
      > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is sometimes shown
      holding in his hand, sometimes Cerberus)

      > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
      >
      > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy close to the
      south celestial pole, even closer than Polaris Australis, hence the name)

      > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus
      Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull], of which Fellah is also a part)

      > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
      >
      > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and Trifid Nebulas
      plus the star cluster M-21)

      > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
      >
      > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Tarandus (49 Cassiopeiae; part of the obsolete constellation
      Tarandus the Reindeer)

      > *Kapteyn's Star (VZ Pictoris)
      >
      > *Kleeia (Delta-3 Tauri)
      >
      > *Ain (Epsilon Tauri)

      ability to succeed

      > *Phaesyla (Theta-2 Tauri)
      >
      > *Polyxo (71 Tauri)

      Member of the Hyades, along with Kleeia.

      > *Hind's Variable Nebula (NGC 1555 Tauri)
      >

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Pluma Frederici (Kappa Andromedae)

      Latin = Frederick's pen (marks the quill pen part of Honores
      Frederici, the Honors of Frederick, an obsolete constellation around
      what is now Andromeda's chained right hand set up to honor an
      18th-century German prince, Frederick II of Prussia)

      (creativity/writings by powerful people?)

      > *Corona Frederici (Lambda Andromedae)

      Latin = Frederick's crown (marks the crown part of the Honors of
      Frederick)

      (having to do with executive power?)

      > *Ross 248 (HH Andromedae)
      >
      > *PX Andromedae (cataclysmic variable)

      military supplies or goods and services provided to military personnel
      and their dependents (PX = post exchange, a store on a military base)

      > *Al Radif (Delta Cephei)

      Arabic = the refrain (?)

      > *Kruger 60 (DO Cephei)
      >
      > *Al Durr Al Manthur (Tau Ceti)

      Arabic = the unstrung pearls

      > *Nodus Secundus (Delta Draconis)

      aka Nodus II

      > *54 Piscium (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Galactic Dragon (QSO I Zw 1 Piscium, a quasar)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
      >
      > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
      >
      > *Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Arabic = peasant

      (poor rural people, impoverished and powerless people, little people)

      > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)
      >
      > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Vesta
      >

      > *The Flying Minnow (Harrington STAR 4 Aurigae; a small asterism)
      >
      > *Deneb Kaitos Schemali (Iota Ceti)
      >
      > *RR Coronae Borealis

      having to do with railroads (up north? in Europe, Russia or North
      America?)

      > *AF Cygni (cataclysmic variables)

      Air Force, Afghanistan?

      > *NGC 1399 (Fornacis; a galaxy, the central one of the so-called
      Fornax Cluster)

      > *Manus Justitia (10 Lacertae; marks the obsolete constellation Manus
      Justitia, the Hand of Justice)

      > *Scheat (Beta Pegasi)
      >
      > *Salm (Tau Pegasi)
      >
      > *NGC 7457 (Pegasi; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > *NGC 7742 (Pegasi; elliptical galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > *Gliese 86 (Phoenicis; has a planet)
      >
      > *WZ Sagittarii (cataclysmic variable)

      "woozy" (any stories involving drunkenness, drug intoxication, or head
      injuries this week?)

      > *Lucida Sculptoris (Alpha Sculptoris; the brightest star in Sculptor
      the Sculptor)

      > *Sculptor Galaxy (NGC 253 Sculptoris)
      >
      > *ER Ursae Majoris

      emergency medical care

      > *W Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variables)
      >

      > Chiron
      >

      > *LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
      >
      > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; an asterism, 29 Cygni
      and other stars)

      > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
      >
      > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
      >
      > *S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in Nubecula Major)
      >
      > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
      >
      > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus was
      Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      > IL Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > North Node
      >

      > Baxendell's Nebula (NGC 7088 Aquarii; supposedly an optical illusion)
      >
      > Kuh (Mu Capricorni)
      >
      > *Sador (Gamma Cygni)
      >
      > Sze Wei (Beta Equulei)
      >

      > South Node
      >

      > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)
      >
      > Ukdah (Tau-2 Hydrae)
      >
      > *Peanut Nebula in Leo (CW Leonis)
      >
      > Al Sumut (Alpha Pyxidis)
      >
      > Malus (Gamma Pyxidis; Pyxis, the Compass, was originally called
      Malus, the Mast of the Ship Argo)

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        Lots of games going on (in elections) with alignments to stars in
        Equuleus, lots of appeals to the people with Pluto aligned with
        Fellah. A while ago some people's presidential ambitions fell by the
        wayside with lots of alignments to stars in Delphinus (with a flip of
        the tail, the dolphin, or fish, submerges and is gone).

        Ceres was aligned with a bunch of stars in the Hyades I don't remember
        if there were unusually heavy rains affecting agriculture during the
        week of April 20. I'll check tomorrow.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008

          > Ceres was aligned with a bunch of stars in the Hyades. I don't remember
          > if there were unusually heavy rains affecting agriculture during the
          > week of April 20.

          In Brazil. I guess the flooding of the Parnaiba River could have
          affected agriculture, as it drove people out of their homes in five
          northeastern Brazilian states.

          http://www.spaceref.com/news/picture_of_the_day?pid=313

          Mark A. Holmes