Re: Fixed star alignments (April 6, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2008

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      > week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > Deneb Okab (aka Dheneb; Zeta Aquilae)
      >
      > SS433 (V1343 Aquilae; an unusual X-ray binary star)
      >
      > *BY Draconis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)
      >
      > Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in
      > Octans the Octant)
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; in the obsolete constellation
      > Felis the Cat, underneath the forepaw of the Cat)
      >
      > T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has
      > planets)
      >
      > Vela Pulsar (PSR B0833-45 Velorum)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *q1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      >
      > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

      this gets its name from a Persian lunar station I haven't been able to
      find a translation for

      > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
      >
      > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
      >
      > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
      >
      > *Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)

      Arabic = the first horse

      > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
      >
      > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      > Cerberus)
      >
      > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
      >
      > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy
      > close to the south celestial pole, even closer than
      > Polaris Australis, hence the name)
      >
      > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull],
      > of which Fellah is also a part)
      >
      > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
      >
      > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
      >
      > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii, a
      > protoplanetary nebula)
      >
      > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
      >
      > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      > marks the olive branch)
      >
      > FX Cephei
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
      >
      > *Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      shipwreck, train wreck

      > Ceres
      >

      > *BB Doradus (cataclysmic variable)

      Big Brother[?]

      > *Mirfak (Alpha Persei)

      Arabic = elbow

      > *Menkib (Zeta Persei)

      Arabic = shoulder or collarbone

      > *Kattupothu (Mu Tauri)

      Malayalam = wild bull

      (Malayalam is a language primarily spoken in the Indian state of
      Kerala on India's southern west coast. This state includes the city of
      Kozhikode, known to medieval and Renaissance Europeans as Calicut; the
      word "calico" comes from this name.

      You have learned something else new today!)

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Blue Snowball Nebula (NGC 7662 Andromedae)

      when it rains, it pours

      > *Alderamin (Alpha Cephei)

      Arabic = the right arm

      > *Phicareus (Epsilon Cephei)

      Phoenician = fire-kindler

      > *Deneb Algenubi (Eta Ceti)

      Arabic = the southern tail

      > *DI Lacertae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
      >
      > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)
      >

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Fetus Nebula (NGC 7008 Cygni)
      >
      > *Lacerta Cauda (1 Lacertae)

      wriggling out of someone's grasp (like a lizard whose tail breaks off
      in its captor's hand), making a clean escape

      > *BL Lacertae

      a consuming fire

      > *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)
      >
      > *Markab (Alpha Pegasi)
      >
      > *Sadalpheretz (Lambda Pegasi)

      Arabic = lucky star of the horse

      > *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)

      Arabic = lucky star of the splendid one

      > *51 Pegasi (has a planet)
      >
      > *Pegasus 1 Cluster (NGC 7619 Pegasi)
      >
      > *Zeta Reticuli (prominent in UFO lore)
      >

      > Chiron
      >

      > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
      >
      > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; an
      > asterism, 29 Cygni and other stars)
      >
      > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
      >
      > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
      >
      > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
      >
      > *Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus
      > was Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      colorful