Re: Yahoo! News Story - Astronomers baffled by weird, fast-spinning pulsar - Yah

    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2008

      > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      > Personal message:
      >

      > Astronomers baffled by weird, fast-spinning pulsar - Yahoo! News
      >
      > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080515/sc_nm/pulsar_dc_1

      BLGD.

      Mark A. Holmes

      Begin story.--

      Astronomers baffled by weird, fast-spinning pulsar

      By Will Dunham Thu May 15, 4:59 PM ET

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Astronomers are baffled after finding an exotic
      type of star called a pulsar apparently locked in an elongated orbit
      around a star much like the sun -- an arrangement defying what had
      been known about such objects.

      The rapidly spinning pulsar -- an extraordinarily dense object created
      when a massive star exploded as a supernova -- is called J1903+0327
      and is located about 21,000 light years from Earth, the astronomers said.

      A light year is about 6 trillion miles, the distance light travels in
      a year.

      "The big question is -- how in the heck did this thing form, because
      it doesn't follow our standard models of how these things form,"
      astronomer Scott Ransom of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in
      Charlottesville, Virginia, said in a telephone interview on Thursday.

      This object is known as a millisecond pulsar because of its speedy
      whirl -- it spins on its axis 465 times per second.

      Until now, all of the ones found orbiting with another star have been
      doing so with a white dwarf, another type of dying star. In each case,
      they shared a perfectly circular orbit. But this one has a very
      elongated orbit around a star similar in size and composition to our sun.

      "What we have found is a millisecond pulsar that is in the wrong kind
      of orbit around what appears to be the wrong kind of star," astronomer
      David Champion of the Australia Telescope National Facility said in a
      statement. "Now we have to figure out how this strange system was
      produced."

      It was detected using a radio telescope in Puerto Rico.

      Pulsars are a rare type of neutron star whose strong magnetic fields
      channel lighthouse-like beams of light and radio waves that whirl
      around as the star spins.

      Typical pulsars spin once a second to about 10 or 20 times a second.
      But millisecond pulsars spin far more rapidly.

      The understanding had been that these started out as typical,
      slower-spinning pulsars, then built up speed after material expelled
      from another star reached the pulsar's surface, giving it momentum.

      "If you were to ask any astronomer if we would have found a system
      like this, they would have said no. So this is a very big surprise,"
      Ransom said.

      The scientists, writing in the journal Science, speculate a third star
      -- perhaps a neutron star or white dwarf -- might be orbiting with the
      other two. Scientists know of about 100 pulsars in two-star, or
      binary, systems, and this might be the first in a triple-star system,
      Ransom said.

      --End story.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2008
        I'm trying to find right ascension and declination values for this
        object that I can turn into zodiacal coordinates. When I do, I'll post
        them.

        Mark A. Holmes