Fixed star alignments (May 4, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Van Biesbroeck's Star (Gliese 752 B Aquilae)

      Snowglobe Nebula (NGC 6781 Aquilae)

      Sulaphat (Gamma Lyrae)

      Cor Pavonis (Sigma Pavonis; marking Pavo the Peacock's heart)

      Merrill's Star (M 1-67 Sagittae; a protoplanetary nebula)

      Saturn

      Drys (Chi Carinae)

      Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)

      T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)

      Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)

      Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has planets)

      Uranus

      SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      q1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)

      Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks the obsolete constellation Solarium the Sundial)

      Simmah (Gamma Eridani)

      Neptune

      Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

      Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

      Sador (Gamma Cygni)

      Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)

      Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)

      Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)

      Pluto

      Tao Shou (Theta Arae)

      Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes Cerberus)

      Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy close to the south celestial pole, even closer than Polaris Australis, hence the name)

      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull], of which Fellah is also a part)

      Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

      Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)

      Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)

      Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)

      Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

      Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii, a protoplanetary nebula)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)

      Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      Ceres

      *Deneb Zirafah (Gamma Camelopardalis)

      *CI Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)

      *Oyster Nebula (NGC 1501 Camelopardalis)

      *Westbrook Nebula (CRL 618 Persei)

      *RV Tauri

      Pallas

      *IX Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Acamar (Theta Eridani)

      *NGC 326 (Piscium; galaxy, possibly with colliding black holes)

      Juno

      *Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)

      Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; also known as Munich 15040 and Velox
      Barnardi--fairly well-known nearby star)

      *Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)

      *Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)

      Vesta

      *Al Nitham (Phi Ceti)

      *Skull Nebula (NGC 246 Ceti)

      *Pegasus 2 Cluster (NGC 7720 Pegasi)

      *Lucida Reticuli (Alpha Reticuli, the brightest star in Reticulum the Net)

      Chiron

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      16 Cygni B (has a planet)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)

      Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus was Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      IL Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      *Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

      Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

      Sador (Gamma Cygni)

      Sze Wei (Beta Equulei)

      Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)

      *Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)

      South Node

      Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      *MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)

      Subra (Omicron Leonis)

      Peanut Nebula in Leo (CW Leonis)

      *Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1212 Leonis)

      Lucida Pictoris (Alpha Pictoris; the brightest star, or lucida, of Pictor the Easel)

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2008

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
        (with a 1 00' orb).

        > Jupiter
        >

        > Van Biesbroeck's Star (Gliese 752 B Aquilae)
        >
        > Snowglobe Nebula (NGC 6781 Aquilae)
        >
        > Sulaphat (Gamma Lyrae)
        >
        > Cor Pavonis (Sigma Pavonis; marking Pavo the Peacock's heart)
        >
        > Merrill's Star (M 1-67 Sagittae; a protoplanetary nebula)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Drys (Chi Carinae)
        >
        > Praecipua (46 Leonis Minoris)
        >
        > T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Megrez (Delta Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has planets)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > q1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)
        >
        > Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks the obsolete constellation Solarium
        the Sundial)

        > Simmah (Gamma Eridani)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
        >
        > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
        >
        > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
        >
        > Sador (Gamma Cygni)
        >
        > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
        >
        > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
        >
        > Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)
        >
        > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
        >
        > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is sometimes shown
        holding in his hand, sometimes Cerberus)

        > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy close to the
        south celestial pole, even closer than Polaris Australis, hence the name)

        > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus
        Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull], of which Fellah is also a part)

        > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
        >
        > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and Trifid Nebulas
        plus the star cluster M-21)

        > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii, a protoplanetary nebula)
        >
        > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Eris
        >

        > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
        >
        > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > *Deneb Zirafah (Gamma Camelopardalis)

        Arabic = tail of the giraffe (my own coinage)

        > *CI Camelopardalis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Kemble's Cascade (NGC 1502 Camelopardalis)
        >
        > *Oyster Nebula (NGC 1501 Camelopardalis)

        having to do with seafood (labor to harvest or pack them?)

        > *Westbrook Nebula (CRL 618 Persei)
        >
        > *RV Tauri

        having to do with RVs or RVing

        > Pallas
        >

        > *IX Draconis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Acamar (Theta Eridani)
        >
        > *NGC 326 (Piscium; galaxy, possibly with colliding black holes)
        >

        > Juno
        >

        > *Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

        isolated, solitary, brooding

        > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
        >
        > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
        >
        > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; also known as Munich 15040 and Velox
        > Barnardi--fairly well-known nearby star)
        >
        > *Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)

        something struggling to be born

        > *Basanismus (G Scorpii)

        in torment

        > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)

        hammering away at something

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Al Nitham (Phi Ceti)

        Arabic = string of pearls

        > *Skull Nebula (NGC 246 Ceti)

        having to do with death

        > *Pegasus 2 Cluster (NGC 7720 Pegasi)
        >
        > *Lucida Reticuli (Alpha Reticuli, the brightest star in Reticulum
        the Net)

        catching something

        > Chiron
        >

        > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
        >
        > 16 Cygni B (has a planet)
        >
        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
        >
        > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
        >
        > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus was
        Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

        > IL Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > North Node
        >

        > *Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
        >
        > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)
        >
        > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
        >
        > Sador (Gamma Cygni)
        >
        > Sze Wei (Beta Equulei)
        >
        > Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)
        >
        > *Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
        >

        > South Node
        >

        > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

        being able to see something in dim light?

        > *MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variable)

        "melts in your mouth, not in your hand"?

        > Subra (Omicron Leonis)
        >
        > Peanut Nebula in Leo (CW Leonis)

        having to do with entertainment (like circuses) or circus-like things?

        > *Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1212 Leonis)

        something or somebody proud taking offense