Re: Fixed star alignments (March 23, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2008

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      > week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > Deneb Okab (aka Dheneb; Zeta Aquilae)
      >
      > Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
      >
      > *HR Lyrae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in
      > Octans the Octant)
      >
      > AO Octantis (cataclysmic variable)

      "AO, let's go"

      > *Cappa (Rho-1 Sagittarii)

      means "cape" (like Superman's cape? Or Dracula's?)

      > Saturn
      >

      > Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; in the obsolete constellation
      > Felis the Cat, underneath the forepaw of the Cat)
      >
      > *T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > El Kophrah (Chi Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > *Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has
      > planets)
      >
      > BC Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Miniature Spiral (NGC 3928 Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > HD 75289 (Velorum; has planets)
      >
      > Vela Pulsar (PSR B0833-45 Velorum)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      >
      > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
      >
      > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
      >
      > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
      >
      > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
      >
      > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
      >
      > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      >
      > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)
      >
      > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
      >
      > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      > Cerberus)
      >
      > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
      >
      > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy
      > close to the south celestial pole, even closer than
      > Polaris Australis, hence the name)
      >
      > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull],
      > of which Fellah is also a part)
      >
      > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
      >
      > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
      >
      > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii, a
      > protoplanetary nebula)

      fast food, Hispanic or other immigrants working in the meatpacking
      industry

      > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      > marks the olive branch)
      >
      > FX Cephei
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
      >
      > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Misam (Kappa Persei)

      Arabic = wrist

      (flapping one's wrist, wearing something like a bracelet around one's
      wrist as a reminder)

      > *NGC 1260 (Persei, a spiral galaxy that had an
      > extremely bright supernova in it in 2006)
      >

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Skull Nebula (NGC 246 Ceti)

      reminders of death (the war in Iraq? crematorium scandals?)

      ?

      > *Lucida Reticuli (Alpha Reticulum, the brightest star
      > in Reticulum the Net)

      emphasis on secrecy, private matters, keeping one's mouth shut (in US
      politics right now)

      > Juno
      >

      > Mu Arae (has planets)
      >
      > Thackeray's Planetary (nebula; IC 1266 Arae)
      >
      > *Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      isolation, withdrawal

      > *Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)

      northern countries/people wrestling with something

      > *AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)\

      something trying to get started

      > *Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)

      focus on gun violence and gun control

      > *Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; a globular cluster which
      > contains the pulsar Terzan 5ad [formally PSR
      > J1748-2446ad], a "millisecond pulsar" which is the
      > fastest known spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)
      >
      > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)

      creative force

      > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)

      Greek = destroyer

      > *Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      Greek(?) = painful torment

      > *Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)

      hammering away at something

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Psi-1 Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Honda's Star (V1500 Cygni)

      mass insanity (dedication to mass insanity?)

      > *Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)

      like a moth to a flame

      > *Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
      >

      > Chiron
      >

      > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; an
      > asterism, 29 Cygni and other stars)
      >
      > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
      >
      > Al Salib (Delta Delphini)
      >
      > *HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      pompous and weird

      > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
      >
      > Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)
      >
      > *IL Vulpeculae

      focus on things happening in or people from Illinois