Re: Fixed star alignments (March 16, 2008)

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2008

      > > As of midnight GMT.
      > >
      > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      > > week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).
      > >

      > > Jupiter
      > >

      > > Al Thalimain II (Lambda Aquilae)
      > >
      > > Phantom Streak (NGC 6741 Aquilae)
      > >
      > > Nova Hassel (V446 Herculis; cataclysmic variable aka
      > > nova, named for its discoverer, Olaf Hassel, a
      > > hearing-impaired Norwegian astronomer)
      > >
      > > *Sheliak (Beta Lyrae)
      >

      > "tortoise" (slow and steady, or just slow)
      >

      > > *AO Octantis (cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Delta Pavonis (nearby sunlike star)
      > >

      > > Saturn
      > >

      > > *Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; in the obsolete constellation
      > > Felis the Cat, underneath the forepaw of the Cat)

      used as a tool of somebody (surrogates in presidential campaigns?)

      > > El Kophrah (Chi Ursae Majoris)
      > >
      > > BC Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Miniature Spiral (NGC 3928 Ursae Majoris)
      > >
      > > HD 75289 (Velorum; has planets)
      > >
      > > Vela Pulsar (PSR B0833-45 Velorum)
      > >

      > > Uranus
      > >

      > > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
      > >
      > > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
      > >

      > > Neptune
      > >

      > > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      > >
      > > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
      > >
      > > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
      > >
      > > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
      > >
      > > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
      > >
      > > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      > >
      > > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
      > > constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)
      > >
      > > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > Pluto
      > >

      > > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
      > >
      > > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      > > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      > > Cerberus)
      > >
      > > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
      > >
      > > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy
      > > close to the south celestial pole, even closer than
      > > Polaris Australis, hence the name)
      > >
      > > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
      > >
      > > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
      > > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull],
      > > of which Fellah is also a part)
      > >
      > > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      > > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
      > >
      > > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > Eris
      > >

      > > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      > > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      > > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      > > marks the olive branch)
      > >
      > > FX Cephei
      > >
      > > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
      > >
      > > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
      > >

      > > Ceres
      > >

      > > *Lucida Caeli (Alpha Caeli, the brightest star in
      > > Caelum the Chisel)
      >

      > chiseling, making one's mark
      >

      > > *Segin (Epsilon Cassiopeiae)

      Also known as Navi (Ivan spelled backwards, in honor of Virgil Ivan
      Grissom, one of the astronauts who died in the fire on Apollo 1 in the
      1960s)

      > > *Algol (Beta Persei)
      >

      > "losing one's head," "heads will roll", assassination

      who?

      or (from the Brady star file in SolarFire)

      "Algol is all the passion and intensity of the feminine which can be
      used effectively or destructively."

      (Hillary Clinton's campaign?)

      > > *Gorgonia Tertia (Rho Persei)

      something that turns to stone

      > > *Capulus (NGC 869 Persei; aka Chi and h Persei)
      >

      > machismo?

      From the Brady star file:

      "This star represents brute strength used in a forceful, focused
      manner for good or for evil. It is also phallic in its imagery and can
      talk of male sexual energy or libido."

      > > Pallas
      > >

      > > *Al Agemim (Eta Cephei)

      Arabic = the sheep fold

      > > *Al Kidr (Theta Cephei)

      Arabic = the bowl (or the green one)

      > > Juno
      > >

      > > *Mu Arae (has planets)
      > >
      > > *Thackeray's Planetary (nebula; IC 1266 Arae)
      > >
      > > *Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
      > >
      > > *RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi, so nicknamed for its high iron
      > > content)
      > >
      > > *Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > *Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; a globular cluster which
      > > contains the pulsar Terzan 5ad [formally PSR
      > > J1748-2446ad], a "millisecond pulsar" which is the
      > > fastest known spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)
      > >
      > > *Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > *Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > *Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
      > >
      > > *Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
      > > named for its emissions pattern and its lead
      > > discoverer, American astronomer Scott Hyman)
      >

      > Juno alignments: frustrations with regard to civil rights?
      >

      > > Vesta
      > >

      > > (nothing)
      > >

      > > Chiron
      > >

      > > *The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; an
      > > asterism, 29 Cygni and other stars)

      paying the price for ignoring reality

      > > *Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      Arabic = the pearls

      > > Al Salib (Delta Delphini)
      > >
      > > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
      > >
      > > Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)
      > >
      > > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148-5150 Gruis)
      > >
      > > QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > North Node
      > >

      > > Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)
      > >
      > > Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)
      > >
      > > Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
      > > the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
      > > like the gills, maybe])
      > >

      > > South Node
      > >

      > > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)
      > >
      > > Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
      > >
      > > Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
      > > constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
      > > forepaw)
      > >
      > > Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
      > >
      > > Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
      > >
      > > Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
      > > intense X-ray source)
      > >
      > > *Al Sumut (Alpha Pyxidis)

      Arabic = the ways