Fixed star alignments (April 6, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Deneb Okab (aka Dheneb; Zeta Aquilae)

      SS433 (V1343 Aquilae; an unusual X-ray binary star)

      *BY Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

      Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)

      Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in
      Octans the Octant)

      Saturn

      Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; in the obsolete constellation
      Felis the Cat, underneath the forepaw of the Cat)

      T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)

      Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has
      planets)

      Vela Pulsar (PSR B0833-45 Velorum)

      Uranus

      SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      *q1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)

      Neptune

      Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

      Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

      Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)

      *Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)

      Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)

      Pluto

      Tao Shou (Theta Arae)

      Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      Cerberus)

      Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)

      Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy
      close to the south celestial pole, even closer than
      Polaris Australis, hence the name)

      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
      constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull],
      of which Fellah is also a part)

      Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

      Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)

      Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)

      Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)

      Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

      Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii, a
      protoplanetary nebula)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      marks the olive branch)

      FX Cephei

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)

      *Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      Ceres

      *BB Doradus (cataclysmic variable)

      *Mirfak (Alpha Persei)

      *Menkib (Zeta Persei)

      *Kattupothu (Mu Tauri)

      Pallas

      *Blue Snowball Nebula (NGC 7662 Andromedae)

      *Alderamin (Alpha Cephei)

      *Phicareus (Epsilon Cephei)

      *Deneb Algenubi (Eta Ceti)

      *DI Lacertae (cataclysmic variable)

      Juno

      Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)

      Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)

      *Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)

      Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)

      Vesta

      *Fetus Nebula (NGC 7008 Cygni)

      *Lacerta Cauda (1 Lacertae)

      *BL Lacertae

      *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)

      *Markab (Alpha Pegasi)

      *Sadalpheretz (Lambda Pegasi)

      *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)

      *51 Pegasi (has a planet)

      *Pegasus 1 Cluster (NGC 7619 Pegasi)

      *Zeta Reticuli (prominent in UFO lore)

      Chiron

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; an
      asterism, 29 Cygni and other stars)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)

      *Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus
      was Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      IL Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      *Baxendell's Nebula (NGC 7088 Aquarii; supposedly an
      optical illusion)

      Kuh (Mu Capricorni)

      Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)

      Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
      the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
      like the gills, maybe])

      South Node

      Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

      Ukdah (Tau-2 Hydrae)

      Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

      Al Sumut (Alpha Pyxidis)

      Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
      obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
      Line)

      Regor (Gamma Velorum)

      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2008

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
        > week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > Deneb Okab (aka Dheneb; Zeta Aquilae)
        >
        > SS433 (V1343 Aquilae; an unusual X-ray binary star)
        >
        > *BY Draconis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Ring Nebula (M-57 Lyrae)
        >
        > Lucida Octantis (Nu Octantis, the brightest star in
        > Octans the Octant)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; in the obsolete constellation
        > Felis the Cat, underneath the forepaw of the Cat)
        >
        > T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; nearby star, has
        > planets)
        >
        > Vela Pulsar (PSR B0833-45 Velorum)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *q1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
        >
        > Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

        this gets its name from a Persian lunar station I haven't been able to
        find a translation for

        > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
        >
        > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
        >
        > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
        >
        > *Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)

        Arabic = the first horse

        > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
        >
        > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
        > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
        > Cerberus)
        >
        > Polaris Australis (Sigma Octantis)
        >
        > Polarissima Australis (NGC 2573 Octantis; a galaxy
        > close to the south celestial pole, even closer than
        > Polaris Australis, hence the name)
        >
        > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete
        > constellation Taurus Poniatovii [Poniatowski's Bull],
        > of which Fellah is also a part)
        >
        > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
        >
        > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
        > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
        >
        > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Gomez's Hamburger (IRAS 18059-3211 Sagittarii, a
        > protoplanetary nebula)
        >
        > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Eris
        >

        > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
        >
        > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
        > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
        > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
        > marks the olive branch)
        >
        > FX Cephei
        >
        > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
        >
        > *Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

        shipwreck, train wreck

        > Ceres
        >

        > *BB Doradus (cataclysmic variable)

        Big Brother[?]

        > *Mirfak (Alpha Persei)

        Arabic = elbow

        > *Menkib (Zeta Persei)

        Arabic = shoulder or collarbone

        > *Kattupothu (Mu Tauri)

        Malayalam = wild bull

        (Malayalam is a language primarily spoken in the Indian state of
        Kerala on India's southern west coast. This state includes the city of
        Kozhikode, known to medieval and Renaissance Europeans as Calicut; the
        word "calico" comes from this name.

        You have learned something else new today!)

        > Pallas
        >

        > *Blue Snowball Nebula (NGC 7662 Andromedae)

        when it rains, it pours

        > *Alderamin (Alpha Cephei)

        Arabic = the right arm

        > *Phicareus (Epsilon Cephei)

        Phoenician = fire-kindler

        > *Deneb Algenubi (Eta Ceti)

        Arabic = the southern tail

        > *DI Lacertae (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Juno
        >

        > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
        >
        > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
        >
        > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)
        >

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Fetus Nebula (NGC 7008 Cygni)
        >
        > *Lacerta Cauda (1 Lacertae)

        wriggling out of someone's grasp (like a lizard whose tail breaks off
        in its captor's hand), making a clean escape

        > *BL Lacertae

        a consuming fire

        > *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)
        >
        > *Markab (Alpha Pegasi)
        >
        > *Sadalpheretz (Lambda Pegasi)

        Arabic = lucky star of the horse

        > *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)

        Arabic = lucky star of the splendid one

        > *51 Pegasi (has a planet)
        >
        > *Pegasus 1 Cluster (NGC 7619 Pegasi)
        >
        > *Zeta Reticuli (prominent in UFO lore)
        >

        > Chiron
        >

        > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
        >
        > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; an
        > asterism, 29 Cygni and other stars)
        >
        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
        >
        > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
        >
        > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
        >
        > *Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; an old name for Grus
        > was Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

        colorful