FW: Two New Star Systems Are First Of Their Kind Ever Found

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      Astrologer Jackie Slevin sent me this - now if we can just
      get positions!

      Love, Diana

        > Astrologer Jackie Slevin sent me this - now if we
        > can just
        > get positions!
        >
        > Love, Diana

        Thank you, Diana.

        BLGD...

        Mark A. Holmes

        Begin story.--

        STELLAR CHEMISTRY
        Two New Star Systems Are First Of Their Kind Ever
        Found

        by Staff Writers
        Columbus OH (SPX) Apr 02, 2008

        Astronomers have spied a faraway star system that is
        so unusual, it was one of a kind -- until its
        discovery helped them pinpoint a second one that was
        much closer to home. In a paper published in a recent
        issue of the Astrophysical Journal Letters, Ohio State
        University astronomers and their colleagues suggest
        that these star systems are the progenitors of a rare
        type of supernova.
        They discovered the first star system 13 million light
        years away, tucked inside Holmberg IX, a small galaxy
        that is orbiting the larger galaxy M81. They studied
        it between January and October 2007 with the Large
        Binocular Telescope (LBT) on Mt. Graham in Arizona.

        The star system is unusual, because it's what the
        astronomers have called a "yellow supergiant eclipsing
        binary" -- it contains two very bright, massive yellow
        stars that are very closely orbiting each other. In
        fact, the stars are so close together that a large
        amount of stellar material is shared between them, so
        that the shape of the system resembles a peanut.

        In a repeating cycle, one star moves to the front and
        blocks our view of the other. From Earth, the star
        system brightens and dims, as we see light from two
        stars, then only one star.

        The two stars in this system appear to be nearly
        identical, each 15 to 20 times the mass of our sun.

        Jose Prieto, Ohio State University graduate student
        and lead author on the journal paper, analyzed the new
        star system as part of his doctoral dissertation. In
        his research, he scoured the historical record to
        determine whether his group had indeed found the first
        such binary.

        To his surprise, he uncovered another one a little
        less than 230,000 light years away in the Small
        Magellanic Cloud, a small galaxy that orbits our own
        Milky Way.

        The star system had been discovered in the 1980s, but
        was misidentified. When Prieto re-examined the data
        that astronomers had recorded at the time, he saw that
        the pattern of light was very similar to the one they
        had detected outside of M81. The stars were even the
        same size -- 15 to 20 times the mass of the sun -- and
        melded together in the same kind of peanut shape. The
        system was clearly a yellow supergiant eclipsing
        binary.

        "We didn't expect to find one of these things, much
        less two," said Kris Stanek, associate professor of
        astronomy at Ohio State. "You never expect this sort
        of thing. But I think this shows how flexible you have
        to be in astrophysics. We needed the 8.4-meter LBT to
        spot the first binary, but the second one is so bright
        that you could see it with binoculars in your back
        yard. Yet, if we hadn't found the first one, we may
        never have found the second one."

        "It shows that there are still valuable discoveries
        hidden in plain sight. You just have to keep your eyes
        open and connect the dots."

        The find may help solve another mystery. Of all the
        supernovae that have been studied over the years, two
        have been linked to yellow supergiants -- and that's
        two more than astronomers would expect.

        Prieto explained why. Over millions of years, a star
        will burn hotter or cooler as it consumes different
        chemical elements in its core. The most massive stars
        swing back and forth between being cool red
        supergiants or hot blue ones. They spend most of their
        lives at one end of the temperature scale or the
        other, but spend only a short time in-between, where
        they are classified as yellow. Most stars end their
        life in a supernova at the red end of the cycle; a few
        do at the blue end. But none do it during the short
        yellow transitional phase in between.

        At least, that's what astronomers thought.

        Prieto, Stanek, and their colleagues suspect that
        yellow binary systems like the ones they found could
        be the progenitors of these odd supernovae.

        "When two stars orbit each other very closely, they
        share material, and the evolution of one affects the
        other," Prieto said. "It's possible two supergiants in
        such a system would evolve more slowly, and spend more
        time in the yellow phase -- long enough that one of
        them could explode as a yellow supergiant."

        The discovery of this yellow supergiant binary system
        is just the first result of a long-term LBT project to
        monitor stellar variability in the nearby universe.
        That project is led by Ohio State professor of
        astronomy, Chris Kochanek. He and Rick Pogge, also a
        professor of astronomy, are coauthors on the paper in
        Astrophysical Journal Letters.

        Their collaborators were from the University of
        Minnesota, the Osservatorio Astronomico di Padova,
        Steward Observatory, the Max-Planck-Institut fur
        extraterrestrische Physik, the Osservatorio
        Astronomico di Roma, the University of Notre Dame, and
        the Large Binocular Telescope Observatory. They used
        observations from the 8.4-meter LBT and from the
        2.4-meter telescope at the nearby MDM observatory.

        The LBT is an international collaboration among
        institutions in the United States, Italy and Germany.
        The LBT Corporation partners are: the University of
        Arizona on behalf of the Arizona university system;
        Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica, Italy; LBT
        Beteiligungsgesellschaft, Germany, representing the
        Max Planck Society, the Astrophysical Institute
        Potsdam, and Heidelberg University; Ohio State
        University; The Research Corporation, on behalf of The
        University of Notre Dame, University of Minnesota, and
        University of Virginia.

        --Story ends.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
          One of them is in Nubecula Minor (I don't know where).
          The other is in the galaxy Holmberg IX (Uppsala 5336,
          or UGC 5336), which orbits M-81 (Bode's Galaxy) in
          Ursa Major:

          http://seds.org/Messier/more/m081_hom9.html

          http://simbad3.u-strasbg.fr/sim-id.pl?Ident=Holmberg+IX

          FK5 2000/2000 coordinates

          (RA) 09 57 32.1
          (declination) +69 02 46

          I'll convert this into zodiacal coordinates in a
          little while.

          Mark A. Holmes

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008

            > One of them is in Nubecula Minor (I don't know
            > where).
            > The other is in the galaxy Holmberg IX (Uppsala
            > 5336,
            > or UGC 5336), which orbits M-81 (Bode's Galaxy) in
            > Ursa Major:
            >
            > http://seds.org/Messier/more/m081_hom9.html

            http://simbad3.u-strasbg.fr/sim-id.pl?Ident=Holmberg+IX

            > FK5 2000/2000 coordinates
            >
            > (RA) 09 57 32.1
            > (declination) +69 02 46
            >

            > I'll convert this into zodiacal coordinates in a
            > little while.

            29 Cancer 52.

            Mark A. Holmes