Re: Fixed star alignments (February 10, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2008

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)

      Arabic = eye of the archer

      http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Nunki.html

      > *Ross 154 (Sagittarii; nearby star)
      >
      > *Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

      Chinese = the heavenly casque

      > Delta Scuti (variable)
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > *Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)
      >
      > Shir (Rho Leonis)
      >
      > Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
      >
      > SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)
      >
      > Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > Keenan System (NGC 5216 & 5218 Ursae Majoris;
      > interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the
      > Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer
      > Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
      > filament)
      >
      > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)
      >
      > Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
      > bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)
      >
      > Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
      >
      > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
      >
      > HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
      >
      > 16 Cygni B (has planets)
      >
      > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
      >
      > S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
      > Large Magellanic Cloud)
      >
      > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
      >
      > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
      > Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
      >
      > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)

      guardian of what are seen as unchanging values?

      > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > *Tao Shou (Theta Arae)

      Mandarin = the way to longevity

      > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      > Cerberus)
      >
      > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)
      >
      > *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
      >
      > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
      >
      > *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
      >
      > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      > marks the crown)

      the olive branch

      http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Almach.html

      > Koleon (Mu Arietis)

      women's reproductive issues?

      > *Vespa (30 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
      > Vespa, the Wasp)

      waspish, stinging

      > *Teegarden's Star (SO025300.5+165258 Arietis; a nearby
      > high-proper-motion star named unofficially for its
      > discoverer, Bonnard Teegarden)
      >
      > *ET Cluster (NGC 457 Cassiopeiae, an open cluster
      > around Psi Cassiopeiae)

      strangeness, alien-ness

      > Menkar (Alpha Ceti)

      http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Menkar.html

      vehicle of or victim of the collective unconscious

      > *94 Ceti (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Lucida Horologii (Alpha Horologii)

      having to do with meticulousness or time

      > *Little Dumbbell Nebula (M-76 Persei)

      kids acting not very bright

      > *WY Trianguli (cataclysmic variable)

      "why", or having to do with Wyoming

      > Pallas
      >

      > *q-1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)
      >
      > *Simmah (Gamma Piscium)
      >
      > *Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Solarium, the Sundial)

      losing perspective due to negativity (a sundial is useless when the
      sun doesn't shine)

      > Juno
      >

      > *Tso Kang (Epsilon-1 Arae)

      Chinese = the left watch

      (the left are watching)

      > *Korban (Zeta Arae)

      Hebrew = sacrifice to god

      > *Water-Lily Nebula (IRAS 16594-4656 Arae)

      where frogs (rejects) sit

      > *Rijl al Jathiyah (Iota Herculis)

      Arabic = foot of the wrestler

      > *Maasym (Lambda Herculis)

      Arabic = wrist

      (where one wears a watch, a bracelet, or handcuffs)

      > *Exclamation Mark Nebula (NGC 6309 Ophiuchi)

      a tempest in a teacup, excited over nothing(?)

      > *Spindle Nebula (IRAS 17106-3046 Scorpii)
      >

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Baxendell's Nebula (NGC 7088 Aquarii; alleged to be
      > an optical illusion, nonexistent)

      an invisible or imaginary burden?

      > *Kuh (Mu Capricorni)
      >
      > *Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)
      >
      > *Sze Wei (Beta Equulei)
      >

      > Chiron
      >

      > Albulaan Australis (Nu Aquarii)
      >
      > Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)
      >
      > *Marakk (Zeta Capricorni)

      Arabic = loins (of the goat)

      (lecherous?)

      > Hole-In-A-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)
      >
      > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
      >
      > Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)
      >
      > Al Kaud (Eta Delphini)
      >
      > Dhanishtra (Theta Delphini)
      >
      > Al Amud al Salib (Iota Delphini)
      >
      > Pae Chaou (Kappa Delphini)
      >
      > HD 195019 (Delphini; has planets)
      >
      > Alnair (Alpha Gruis)
      >
      > *EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)

      when somebody talks, people listen

      > North Node
      >

      > Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)
      >
      > Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)
      >
      > Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
      > the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
      > like the gills, maybe])
      >

      > South Node
      >

      > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      being able to see in the dark (or thinking one can?)

      > Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
      >
      > Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
      > constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
      > forepaw)
      >
      > Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
      >
      > Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
      >
      > Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)
      >
      > Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
      > intense X-ray source)
      >
      > Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
      > obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
      > Line)

      being thrown a line?