Re: Fixed star alignments (January 6, 2008)

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2008

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *DQ Herculis (cataclysmic variable)

      coming in many varieties (this year's US presidential candidates?)

      > *Pi Mensae (has planets)

      a long hard climb up the mountain?

      > *Nova Ophiuchi 1919 (V849 Ophiuchi; cataclysmic
      > variable)
      >
      > *Emerald Nebula (aka The Turquoise Orb; NGC 6572
      > Ophiuchi)

      environmentalism

      > *Kaus Medius (Delta Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Ira Furoris (Eta Sagittarii)

      outrage over something (a religious or financial matter)

      > Polis (Mu Sagittarii)

      emphasis on being in command

      > *Omega Nebula (M-17 Sagittarii)

      the end of something, the ultimate in something (illusions about all this)

      > *Little Star Cloud (M-24 Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Eagle Nebula (M-16 Serpens; in Serpens Cauda)

      illusions/myopia about patriotism and national security?

      > Saturn
      >

      > Thuban (Alpha Draconis)
      >
      > M-105 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > Alioth (Epsilon Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > *Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > Coddington Nebula (IC 2574 Ursae Majoris; diffuse
      > nebula)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > *Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)
      >
      > Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)
      >
      > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Humason 1-2 Cygni)
      >
      > The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni; a small
      > asterism north of Deneb)
      >
      > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)
      >
      > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
      >
      > Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
      >
      > Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)
      >
      > HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
      >
      > *16 Cygni B (has planets)
      >
      > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
      >
      > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
      > asterism in Cygnus)
      >
      > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
      >
      > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
      > Large Magellanic Cloud)
      >
      > Al Faras Al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
      >
      > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
      > Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
      >
      > IL Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >
      > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      Arabic = blessed

      (the slew of candidates from traditionally disadvantaged
      groups--female, black, Hispanic, elderly, Catholic, Mormon--I find
      personally uplifting despite Bush's calculated efforts to ruin all
      that is good and just about this country)

      > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
      >
      > *Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)
      >
      > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a dying star named
      > for its Japanese discoverer, Yukio Sakurai)
      >
      > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii, Ptolemy's Cluster)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      > marks the crown)
      >
      > FX Cephei
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
      >
      > Aquae Abyssi (Upsilon Ceti)
      >
      > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
      >
      > Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > Keun Nan Mun Secundus (Chi Andromedae)
      >
      > The Fath (NGC 708 Andromedae)
      >
      > Achird (Eta Cassiopeiae)
      >
      > Pac-Man Nebula (NGC 281 Cassiopeiae)
      >
      > Kaffaljidhma (Gamma Ceti)
      >
      > Azha (Eta Eridani)
      >
      > Liberflux (Tau-4 Eridani
      >

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Hydria (Eta Aquarii)
      >
      > *Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii)

      flooded, overwhelmed

      > *Nova Cygni 1992 (V1974 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Scovil's Object (Q1991/107 Cygni)
      >
      > *WX Hydri

      smoothing the way

      > *VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variables)

      campaigning

      > Juno
      >

      > *Han (Zeta Ophiuchi)

      "...trouble and disgrace" (Robson)

      > *Rho Ophiuchi

      promising to crush something evil?

      > *Antares (Alpha Scorpii)

      having to do with going to extremes?

      > *Shark's Jaws Nebula (King 1-3 Scorpii)

      any shark attacks during this week? maybe in Australia?

      > *Gatria (Gamma Trianguli Australe)

      false prophets

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Diamond Ring Nebula (Abell 70 Aquilae)

      having to do with gay marriage?

      > *Pazan (Psi Capricorni)
      >
      > *Baten Algedi (Omega Capricorni)

      "the goat's belly" (someone or something that will eat things most
      won't touch?)

      > *Youe (17 Capricorni)
      >
      > *Patchick's Planetary (IRAS 19450+2922 Cygni)

      having to do with sexual harassment?

      > *Lucida Microscopii (Gamma Microscopii; the brightest
      > star, or lucida, in Microscopium the Microscope)

      under the microscope, or microbiology?

      > *WZ Sagittae (cataclysmic variable)

      wizardry, contempt for something?

      > *Black Widow Pulsar (B1957+20 Sagittae)
      >

      > Chiron
      >

      > Albulaan Borealis (Mu Aquarii)
      >
      > AE Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Armus (Eta Capricorni)
      >
      > Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)
      >
      > CH Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Gliese 777A (Cygni; has extrasolar planet)
      >
      > Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)
      >
      > Cygnus X-1 (famous black hole)
      >

      > North Node
      >

      > *Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)
      >
      > Network Nebula (NGC 6992 Cygni; diffuse nebula)
      >
      > M-15 (Pegasi; globular cluster, densest known)
      >

      > South Node
      >

      > *Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
      > constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
      > forepaw)

      playing with somebody, or maybe that tiger attack in San Francisco?