Fixed star alignments (February 17, 2008)

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 17, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      *Nova Aquilae 1918 (V603 Aquilae)

      *Myrtus (Beta Coronae Australis)

      *Shrichakra (Gamma Coronae Australis)

      *Kalachakra (Delta Coronae Australis)

      *Ascella (Zeta Sagittarii)

      Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)

      Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)

      Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

      *Wild Duck Cluster (M-51 Scuti)

      Saturn

      Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)

      Shir (Rho Leonis)

      *Lochium (Lambda Pyxidis; marking the log park of the
      obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
      Line)

      Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

      Keenan System (NGC 5216 & 5218 Ursae Majoris;
      interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the
      Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer
      Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
      filament)

      Uranus

      Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
      bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)

      Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)

      Neptune

      LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      16 Cygni B (has planets)

      Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
      Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)

      Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
      constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)

      TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      Pluto

      Tao Shou (Theta Arae)

      Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      Cerberus)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

      Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)

      Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)

      Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)

      Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      Eris

      Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      marks the crown)

      FX Cephei

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)

      Revati (Zeta Piscium)

      Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)

      Ceres

      *Apis (33 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
      Apis, the Bee)

      *Lilium (35 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
      Lilium, the Lily)

      Lucida Horologii (Alpha Horologii)

      Pallas

      *Lacerta Cauda (1 Lacertae; marks the tail of Lacerta
      the Lizard, hence the name, which is Latin for
      "lizard's tail")

      *BL Lacertae

      *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)

      *Markab (Alpha Pegasi)

      *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)

      *51 Pegasi (has planets)

      *Pegasus 1 Cluster (NGC 7619 Pegasi)

      *Zeta Reticuli (associated with alleged ET encounters)

      Juno

      *Imad (Theta Ophiuchi)

      *Wajrik (Xi Ophiuchi)

      *Bug Nebula (NGC 6302 Scorpii)

      *Cotton Candy Nebula (CRL 6815 Scorpii)

      *Atria (Alpha Trianguli Australe)

      Vesta

      *Network Nebula (NGC 6992 Cygni)

      *M-15 (Pegasi; densest known globular cluster)

      Chiron

      Albulaan Australis (Nu Aquarii)

      Marakk (Zeta Capricorni)

      *Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

      Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

      Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)

      Dhanishtra (Theta Delphini)

      Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      *Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

      *Tien Tsien (Iota Puppis)

      EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)

      Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
      the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
      like the gills, maybe])

      South Node

      Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

      Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
      constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
      forepaw)

      Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

      Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

      Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)

      Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
      intense X-ray source)

      Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
      obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
      Line)

      Regor (Gamma Velorum)

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 22, 2008
        unfortunately it was raining here in California so I didn't get to see
        the eclipse, but I did here from my daughter that indeed she could see
        Regulas to one side of the moon and Saturn to the other side, from her
        view in Kentucky, did anyone else get a decent viewing?

        and I wonder what would be the visual significance of that?

        *(O)* <-(similation of view)

        Any thoughts?

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 22, 2008

          > unfortunately it was raining here in California so I didn't get to
          see
          > the eclipse, but I did here from my daughter that indeed she could
          see
          > Regulas to one side of the moon and Saturn to the other side, from
          her
          > view in Kentucky, did anyone else get a decent viewing?

          Not me. It was overcast and raining where I am.

          > and I wonder what would be the visual significance of that?
          >
          > *(O)* <-(similation of view)
          >
          > Any thoughts?

          I've heard of interpretation of planets being bracketed by other
          planets, but not stars and planets.

          Would it be Regulus and the Sun bracketing the Moon, or Regulus and
          the Moon bracketing the Sun, or Regulus and Saturn bracketing Sun
          and Moon?

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 22, 2008
            saturn and Regulus Bracket the moon, but the Eclipse of the moon is
            what makes it really visible, Sun is actually opposed, and earth
            blocks the view. :) so without a telescope it looks like 2 stars
            bracketing the darkened moon

            Beth

          • astrocalypse@blueyonder.co.uk
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 22, 2008
              Let's try a bit of graphic representation here -

              Classically, being beseiged is like >Moon< (ouch) but only by two
              "malefics". With benefics they are more like {Moon} (hugs). With stars
              they add emphasis such as *Moon*. And Mark is right, planets can cast
              aspects, Uranian midpoints or not and need to be taken into equations.

              So, Regulus-Moon-Saturn is more like *Moon< if we were to put the demoted
              planet in, it is *Pluto-Moon<. Does that make sense?

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 23, 2008
                --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, astrocalypse@... wrote:

                > Let's try a bit of graphic representation here -
                >
                > Classically, being beseiged is like >Moon< (ouch) but only by two
                > "malefics". With benefics they are more like {Moon} (hugs). With
                stars
                > they add emphasis such as *Moon*. And Mark is right, planets can
                cast
                > aspects, Uranian midpoints or not and need to be taken into
                equations.

                > So, Regulus-Moon-Saturn is more like *Moon< if we were to put the
                demoted
                > planet in, it is *Pluto-Moon<. Does that make sense?

                Not really. Can you clarify further?

                Mark A. Holmes

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 23, 2008
                  > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, astrocalypse@... wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Let's try a bit of graphic representation here -
                  >>
                  >> Classically, being beseiged is like >Moon< (ouch) but only by two
                  >> "malefics". With benefics they are more like {Moon} (hugs). With
                  > stars
                  >> they add emphasis such as *Moon*. And Mark is right, planets can
                  > cast
                  >> aspects, Uranian midpoints or not and need to be taken into
                  > equations.
                  >>
                  >> So, Regulus-Moon-Saturn is more like *Moon< if we were to put the
                  > demoted
                  >> planet in, it is *Pluto-Moon<. Does that make sense?
                  >

                  > Not really. Can you clarify further?
                  >
                  > Mark A. Holmes

                  You used the analogy of 'bracketing' which I read as 'in-between-ness'
                  with similar celestial objects. So malefics 'beseiging' the Moon would be
                  Pluto-Moon-Saturn as Pluto-Saturn are of equal 'qualities'. If we say
                  Regulus is on one side of the Moon, Saturn the other, we are not talking
                  about similar things as one is a often seen as a desirable fixed star and
                  Saturn as a undesirable planet.

                  Not sure what exact degree/minute Regulus is at now so let's leave that
                  one out for now - but if you consider Pluto's casting aspects at zero
                  degree, Moon is at a later degree and Saturn still later , then Moon is
                  bracketed/beseiged by Pluto and Saturn.

                  If we want to talk about Regulus and where the Moon is at in relation to
                  it, then we might talk about the Moon being bracketed by Regulus and
                  Fomalhaut if we count opposition to a fixed star being relevant. Again,
                  not sure what exact degree/minute Fomalhaut is at now so I am not sure if
                  we can even say Saturn is being bracketed by Fomalhaut in the same breath
                  but we can include Pluto if it is at a later degree/minute than Regulus.

                  Going back to my last message, I used >< as malefics beseiging brackets
                  and {} as benefics beseiging brackets and ** as royal stars brackets.
                  So if we use *Moon< - * being Regulus < being Saturn, these are not
                  brackets of the same qualities.

                  At least that's what I thought Beth asked anyway!!

                  Phew, that's also rather exhausting trying to explain myself ;).

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 24, 2008
                    --- astrocalypse@... wrote:

                    > > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com,
                    > astrocalypse@... wrote:
                    > >>

                    > >> Let's try a bit of graphic representation here -
                    > >>
                    > >> Classically, being beseiged is like >Moon< (ouch)
                    > but only by two
                    > >> "malefics". With benefics they are more like
                    > {Moon} (hugs). With
                    > > stars
                    > >> they add emphasis such as *Moon*. And Mark is
                    > right, planets can
                    > > cast
                    > >> aspects, Uranian midpoints or not and need to be
                    > taken into
                    > > equations.
                    > >>
                    > >> So, Regulus-Moon-Saturn is more like *Moon< if we
                    > were to put the
                    > > demoted
                    > >> planet in, it is *Pluto-Moon<. Does that make
                    > sense?
                    > >

                    > > Not really. Can you clarify further?
                    > >
                    > > Mark A. Holmes
                    >
                    > You used the analogy of 'bracketing' which I read as
                    > 'in-between-ness'
                    > with similar celestial objects.

                    When Moon is between (bracketed by) Jupiter and Venus,
                    Jupiter expresses itself through the Moon to Venus. I
                    picked that up from someplace a while ago.

                    I was thinking, was Regulus expressing itself in a
                    similar fashion through the Sun via the Moon, or the
                    Moon via the Sun?

                    So malefics
                    > 'beseiging' the Moon would be
                    > Pluto-Moon-Saturn as Pluto-Saturn are of equal
                    > 'qualities'. If we say
                    > Regulus is on one side of the Moon, Saturn the
                    > other, we are not talking
                    > about similar things as one is a often seen as a
                    > desirable fixed star and
                    > Saturn as a undesirable planet.

                    I've never really understood the concept of
                    "besieged." Does that mean between two malefics?

                    > Not sure what exact degree/minute Regulus is at now
                    > so let's leave that
                    > one out for now - but if you consider Pluto's
                    > casting aspects at zero
                    > degree, Moon is at a later degree and Saturn still
                    > later , then Moon is
                    > bracketed/beseiged by Pluto and Saturn.

                    Pluto isn't anywhere near Saturn on the ecliptic right
                    now.

                    > If we want to talk about Regulus and where the Moon
                    > is at in relation to
                    > it, then we might talk about the Moon being
                    > bracketed by Regulus and
                    > Fomalhaut if we count opposition to a fixed star
                    > being relevant. Again,
                    > not sure what exact degree/minute Fomalhaut is at
                    > now so I am not sure if
                    > we can even say Saturn is being bracketed by
                    > Fomalhaut in the same breath
                    > but we can include Pluto if it is at a later
                    > degree/minute than Regulus.

                    Now you've lost me again.

                    Mark A. Holmes

                    > Going back to my last message, I used >< as malefics
                    > beseiging brackets
                    > and {} as benefics beseiging brackets and ** as
                    > royal stars brackets.
                    > So if we use *Moon< - * being Regulus < being
                    > Saturn, these are not
                    > brackets of the same qualities.
                    >
                    > At least that's what I thought Beth asked anyway!!
                    >
                    > Phew, that's also rather exhausting trying to
                    > explain myself ;).

                    > "msbhavens1" <msbhavens1@>

                    > California so I didn't get
                    > that indeed she
                    > > could
                    > the other side,
                    > > from
                    > viewing?

                    > significance of that?

                    > bracketed by other

                    > Moon, or Regulus
                    > > and
                    > Saturn bracketing Sun

                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  • astrocalypse@blueyonder.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 24, 2008

                      > --- astrocalypse@... wrote:
                      >
                      >> > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com,

                      >> but only by two
                      >> {Moon} (hugs). With
                      >> > stars
                      >> right, planets can
                      >> > cast
                      >> taken into
                      >> > equations.

                      >> were to put the
                      >> > demoted
                      >> sense?
                      >> >

                      >> > Not really. Can you clarify further?
                      >> >
                      >> > Mark A. Holmes
                      >>
                      >> You used the analogy of 'bracketing' which I read as
                      >> 'in-between-ness'
                      >> with similar celestial objects.
                      >
                      > When Moon is between (bracketed by) Jupiter and Venus,
                      > Jupiter expresses itself through the Moon to Venus. I
                      > picked that up from someplace a while ago.

                      Hmmmm, there is the concept of 'translation of light' may be the modern
                      translation is 'Jupiter expresses itself through the Moon to Venus'.

                      > I was thinking, was Regulus expressing itself in a
                      > similar fashion through the Sun via the Moon, or the
                      > Moon via the Sun?

                      DKR may be able to comment on this. I must admit in terms of fixed stars,
                      I usually only look at conjunctions. Also to look at the aspects as well
                      as ruler of the planets involved and see what conditions they are in.

                      > So malefics
                      >> 'beseiging' the Moon would be
                      >> Pluto-Moon-Saturn as Pluto-Saturn are of equal
                      >> 'qualities'. If we say
                      >> Regulus is on one side of the Moon, Saturn the
                      >> other, we are not talking
                      >> about similar things as one is a often seen as a
                      >> desirable fixed star and
                      >> Saturn as a undesirable planet.
                      >

                      > I've never really understood the concept of
                      > "besieged." Does that mean between two malefics?

                      I believe thats the terminology even for 'benefics', wish I can find a
                      better term though.

                      >> Not sure what exact degree/minute Regulus is at now
                      >> so let's leave that
                      >> one out for now - but if you consider Pluto's
                      >> casting aspects at zero
                      >> degree, Moon is at a later degree and Saturn still
                      >> later , then Moon is
                      >> bracketed/beseiged by Pluto and Saturn.
                      >

                      > Pluto isn't anywhere near Saturn on the ecliptic right
                      > now.

                      Thats certainly another consideration but I included Pluto only because of
                      the aspect it is making towards 0 Virgo.

                      >> If we want to talk about Regulus and where the Moon
                      >> is at in relation to
                      >> it, then we might talk about the Moon being
                      >> bracketed by Regulus and
                      >> Fomalhaut if we count opposition to a fixed star
                      >> being relevant. Again,
                      >> not sure what exact degree/minute Fomalhaut is at
                      >> now so I am not sure if
                      >> we can even say Saturn is being bracketed by
                      >> Fomalhaut in the same breath
                      >> but we can include Pluto if it is at a later
                      >> degree/minute than Regulus.
                      >

                      > Now you've lost me again.

                      Never mind me :).

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 24, 2008
                        Not sure whether Yahoo notification is automatic or not but I just
                        uploaded three eclipse photos for the last lunar eclipse if anyone is
                        interested in having a look.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 24, 2008
                          --- astrocalypse@... wrote:

                          > Not sure whether Yahoo notification is automatic or
                          > not but I just
                          > uploaded three eclipse photos for the last lunar
                          > eclipse if anyone is
                          > interested in having a look.

                          You have to check the box.

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 24, 2008
                            Pluto in Cap not Virgo. MisSB

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 24, 2008
                              > Pluto in Cap not Virgo. MisSB

                              Sure, Pluto in 0 Cap aspect 0 Virgo.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 26, 2008
                                I was tlaking about just the visual picture and its expression as seen
                                by someone who skywatches, the picture looked thus: *(O)* Pluto would
                                not be in that picture so the example of > O P* would not be accurate
                                as you would not SEE pluto next to the moon. :) Beth

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 26, 2008
                                  Good argument especially if you are the disciple of visual astrology

                                  BUT

                                  Go ask someone with Pluto-Moon and see if they will agree that Pluto has
                                  absolutely no influence ;).

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                                    repeating my original question for you to ponder

                                    "and I wonder what would be the visual significance of that?

                                    *(O)* <-(similation of view)

                                    Any thoughts?"

                                    possibly you may notice the word before the word Significance,
                                    because it just may be the significant word in the question.

                                    MissB

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008

                                      > repeating my original question for you to ponder
                                      >
                                      > "and I wonder what would be the visual significance of that?
                                      >
                                      > *(O)* <-(similation of view)
                                      >
                                      > Any thoughts?"
                                      >
                                      > possibly you may notice the word before the word Significance,
                                      > because it just may be the significant word in the question.
                                      >
                                      > MissB

                                      I would have thought such a line-up would produce something or someone
                                      really really significant BUT can you give an actual example or two of a
                                      case(s) in point?

                                      Talking about Regulus, I see Jean-Do Bauby had his SN separately from it
                                      at birth but by precession, Regulus will be on his Vesta in no time -
                                      there is a film out about him 'The Diving Bell and the butterfly'
                                      premiere'd recently and may be more effort will go towards researching
                                      lock-in syndrome and such.

                                      Interestingly, his Jupiter|NN on Scheat too. Do stars really work with
                                      midpoints?
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008
                                        that is why I'm ASKING, I dont know of such an alignment.

                                        MissB

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008
                                          > that is why I'm ASKING, I dont know of such an alignment.
                                          >
                                          > MissB

                                          I am stretching to find one but if you are not too particular and are
                                          willing to disregard all 'casting aspects' or anything inconvenient, what
                                          about Jamies Lee Curtis -

                                          *(0)*

                                          Zuben Elgenubi-Jupiter-Sun-Venus-Antares.

                                          Dschubba and Acrab are in the mix but if you use Stellarium like I have
                                          done these two look like they come after Venus.

                                          Parents were in the film business, haven't seen any article about a
                                          miserable childhood or anything like that. A successful award winning
                                          actress, successful marriage to a Lord, happy-go-lucky type it would seem
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008
                                            sounds good, I'm really surprised to not have "seen" something like
                                            this before, I"m looking for articles and such remarking on other
                                            planets and such seen with an eclipse, and basically I can find
                                            Venus a fair amount of both solar and lunar eclipse, and mercury
                                            with solar quite often, but anything further out and Bracketing sun
                                            or moon I'm just not seeing much. I think its a very interesting
                                            alignment. especially to view... Missb

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 5, 2008
                                              Not trying to sell their wares for them but the new SF Gold v7 somehow
                                              took command of the Stellarium software already installed on my computer
                                              (?) so I can open it directly from SF and it shows the particular chart
                                              I've been looking at. Fantastic tool if you ask me.

                                              I wonder if anyone knows how I might incorporate asteroids and
                                              hypothetical points in the Stellarium??
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 11, 2008
                                                --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, astrocalypse@... wrote:

                                                > Not trying to sell their wares for them but the new SF Gold v7 somehow
                                                > took command of the Stellarium software already installed on my computer
                                                > (?) so I can open it directly from SF and it shows the particular chart
                                                > I've been looking at. Fantastic tool if you ask me.
                                                >
                                                > I wonder if anyone knows how I might incorporate asteroids and
                                                > hypothetical points in the Stellarium??

                                                Sorry for this late response. I've been hugely busy.

                                                To answer your question: I have no idea.

                                                But I'm planning to upgrade to SF7 (as soon as I can spare $144).
                                                Thanks for the tip.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 21, 2008

                                                  > As of midnight GMT.
                                                  >

                                                  > Jupiter
                                                  >

                                                  > *Nova Aquilae 1918 (V603 Aquilae)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Myrtus (Beta Coronae Australis)

                                                  the beauty of being old(?)

                                                  > *Shrichakra (Gamma Coronae Australis)

                                                  fortune's ups and downs

                                                  > *Kalachakra (Delta Coronae Australis)

                                                  time running out

                                                  > *Ascella (Zeta Sagittarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

                                                  Chinese = the heavenly casque

                                                  (casque = helmet)

                                                  (under God's protection?)

                                                  > *Wild Duck Cluster (M-51 Scuti)
                                                  >

                                                  > Saturn
                                                  >

                                                  > Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)
                                                  >
                                                  > Shir (Rho Leonis)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Lochium (Lambda Pyxidis; marking the log park of the
                                                  > obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
                                                  > Line)

                                                  something that makes people paranoid, or a lifesaver

                                                  > Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
                                                  >
                                                  > Keenan System (NGC 5216 & 5218 Ursae Majoris;
                                                  > interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the
                                                  > Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer
                                                  > Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
                                                  > filament)
                                                  >

                                                  > Uranus
                                                  >

                                                  > Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
                                                  > bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)
                                                  >
                                                  > Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
                                                  >

                                                  > Neptune
                                                  >

                                                  > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
                                                  >
                                                  > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
                                                  >
                                                  > 16 Cygni B (has planets)
                                                  >
                                                  > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
                                                  >
                                                  > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
                                                  >
                                                  > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
                                                  > Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
                                                  >
                                                  > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
                                                  >
                                                  > Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
                                                  > constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)
                                                  >
                                                  > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
                                                  >

                                                  > Pluto
                                                  >

                                                  > Tao Shou (Theta Arae)
                                                  >
                                                  > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
                                                  > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
                                                  > Cerberus)
                                                  >
                                                  > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
                                                  >
                                                  > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
                                                  >
                                                  > Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
                                                  > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
                                                  >
                                                  > Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
                                                  >

                                                  > Eris
                                                  >

                                                  > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
                                                  > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
                                                  > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
                                                  > marks the crown)

                                                  the olive branch

                                                  > FX Cephei
                                                  >
                                                  > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
                                                  >
                                                  > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
                                                  >
                                                  > Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)
                                                  >

                                                  > Ceres
                                                  >

                                                  > *Apis (33 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
                                                  > Apis, the Bee)

                                                  busy-ness

                                                  > *Lilium (35 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
                                                  > Lilium, the Lily)

                                                  purity

                                                  > Lucida Horologii (Alpha Horologii)
                                                  >

                                                  > Pallas
                                                  >

                                                  > *Lacerta Cauda (1 Lacertae; marks the tail of Lacerta
                                                  > the Lizard, hence the name, which is Latin for
                                                  > "lizard's tail")

                                                  a successful escape (so far, anyway--some guy who perpetrated a
                                                  massacre in a clothing store in Illinois)

                                                  > *BL Lacertae

                                                  a consuming, destructive fire

                                                  (the US presidential election?)

                                                  > *Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Markab (Alpha Pegasi)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)
                                                  >
                                                  > *51 Pegasi (has planets)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Pegasus 1 Cluster (NGC 7619 Pegasi)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Zeta Reticuli (associated with alleged ET encounters)
                                                  >

                                                  > Juno
                                                  >

                                                  > *Imad (Theta Ophiuchi)

                                                  Arabic = pillar

                                                  > *Wajrik (Xi Ophiuchi)

                                                  Arabic = magician

                                                  > *Bug Nebula (NGC 6302 Scorpii)

                                                  bugged, annoyed, infested, contaminated

                                                  > *Cotton Candy Nebula (CRL 6815 Scorpii)

                                                  having no substance

                                                  > *Atria (Alpha Trianguli Australe)
                                                  >

                                                  > Vesta
                                                  >

                                                  > *Network Nebula (NGC 6992 Cygni)
                                                  >
                                                  > *M-15 (Pegasi; densest known globular cluster)
                                                  >

                                                  > Chiron
                                                  >

                                                  > Albulaan Australis (Nu Aquarii)
                                                  >
                                                  > Marakk (Zeta Capricorni)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

                                                  having to surface

                                                  (various old criminal cases being reopened?)

                                                  > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
                                                  >
                                                  > Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)
                                                  >
                                                  > Dhanishtra (Theta Delphini)

                                                  Sanskrit = richest

                                                  (whoever's got the most = Obama?)

                                                  > Alnair (Alpha Gruis)
                                                  >
                                                  > *Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

                                                  Arabic = the tail (of the crane)

                                                  > *Tien Tsien (Iota Puppis)

                                                  Chinese = heavenly cash

                                                  (dependent on fortune?)

                                                  > EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)
                                                  >

                                                  > North Node
                                                  >

                                                  > Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)
                                                  >
                                                  > Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)
                                                  >
                                                  > Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
                                                  > the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
                                                  > like the gills, maybe])
                                                  >

                                                  > South Node
                                                  >

                                                  > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)
                                                  >
                                                  > Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
                                                  >
                                                  > Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
                                                  > constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
                                                  > forepaw)
                                                  >
                                                  > Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
                                                  >
                                                  > Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
                                                  >
                                                  > Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)
                                                  >
                                                  > Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
                                                  > intense X-ray source)
                                                  >
                                                  > Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
                                                  > obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
                                                  > Line)
                                                  >
                                                  > Regor (Gamma Velorum)

                                                • PeterKecskés
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 25, 2008
                                                    Dear Mark !
                                                    In your last post I found some interesting starnames.
                                                    I wonder that maybe - if time permits - could you
                                                    upload a file of those special starnames that not so
                                                    well known like Kalachakra, Shrichakra, Myrtus etc. We
                                                    already discussed this some time before. I'm working
                                                    with the fixed stars and I'm pretty much interested in
                                                    this topic, Yours, Peter Kecskés

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 25, 2008
                                                      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Peter "Kecskés"
                                                      <terminusen@...> wrote:

                                                      > Dear Mark !
                                                      > In your last post I found some interesting starnames.
                                                      > I wonder that maybe - if time permits - could you
                                                      > upload a file of those special starnames that not so
                                                      > well known like Kalachakra, Shrichakra, Myrtus etc. We
                                                      > already discussed this some time before. I'm working
                                                      > with the fixed stars and I'm pretty much interested in
                                                      > this topic, Yours, Peter Kecskés

                                                      I've got it on my to-do list.

                                                      BTW: Work on that Excel fixed-star list I mentioned earlier is
                                                      progressing, slowly but surely. I decided to do it in sections
                                                      (because doing all 88 constellations at once would be real big and
                                                      difficult if not impossible to upload). The constellations from A to
                                                      C are about 60 to 70 percent complete, and after I've got that
                                                      uploaded I'll start on Delphinus and Draco to...maybe Hydrus.
                                                      Eridanus and Hydra are real big. I'm kind of playing it by ear.

                                                      Mark A. Holmes