Attention: Info and warning regarding Grouply

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2008
      I have been hearing about the website known as Grouply
      on other lists.

      According to Hazel Goodman on Be-Urania, it's supposed
      to be a social website similar to Facebook that you
      can customize to handle all your discussion group
      e-mails. It will list them, organize them, rate them
      and highlight "popular" topics for you.

      It does this, apparently, by downloading e-mails from
      all your groups, storing them in Grouply's database,
      then analyzing the message content to "add value to
      your discussion experience." It archives these posts
      on its system.

      The key to its access is that you have to divulge your
      private Yahoo ID and password in order to set up your
      account, and once the group is in its databases there
      are fewer restrictions as to who has access to that
      content.

      It is...

      ...*a Yahoo terms-of-service violation*...

      to give away your Yahoo ID and password, for one
      thing, and for another, there is the potential for
      criminal hacking. You could have all your Yahoo
      account information (e-mail, groups, everything)
      exposed, your list memberships hacked into, your
      personal e-mails made known. Grouply is creating an
      opt-out feature for group owners, slowly and
      grudgingly, under pressure, and this makes me nervous.

      I'm not going to give Grouply members access to my
      groups. It doesn't look like there are any on here.
      And I'm making a new rule for my lists:

      Membership on Grouply or similar websites is now a
      bannable offense.

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?