Fixed star alignments (February 10, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      *Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)

      *Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)

      *Ross 154 (Sagittarii; nearby star)

      *Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

      Delta Scuti (variable)

      Saturn

      *Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)

      Shir (Rho Leonis)

      Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

      SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)

      Keenan System (NGC 5216 & 5218 Ursae Majoris;
      interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the
      Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer
      Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
      filament)

      CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

      Uranus

      Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)

      Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
      bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)

      Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)

      Homan (Zeta Pegasi)

      HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)

      Neptune

      LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      16 Cygni B (has planets)

      *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
      Large Magellanic Cloud)

      Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
      Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)

      *Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
      constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)

      TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      Pluto

      *Tao Shou (Theta Arae)

      Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      Cerberus)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)

      *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

      Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)

      Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)

      Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)

      *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      Eris

      Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      marks the crown)

      FX Cephei

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)

      Aquae Abyssi (Upsilon Ceti)

      Revati (Zeta Piscium)

      Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)

      Ceres

      Almach (Gamma Andromedae)

      Koleon (Mu Arietis)

      *Vespa (30 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
      Vespa, the Wasp)

      *Teegarden's Star (SO025300.5+165258 Arietis; a nearby
      high-proper-motion star named unofficially for its
      discoverer, Bonnard Teegarden)

      *ET Cluster (NGC 457 Cassiopeiae, an open cluster
      around Psi Cassiopeiae)

      Menkar (Alpha Ceti)

      *94 Ceti (cataclysmic variable)

      *Lucida Horologii (Alpha Horologii)

      *Little Dumbbell Nebula (M-76 Persei)

      *WY Trianguli (cataclysmic variable)

      Pallas

      *q-1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)

      *Simmah (Gamma Piscium)

      *Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks the obsolete
      constellation Solarium, the Sundial)

      Juno

      *Tso Kang (Epsilon-1 Arae)

      *Korban (Zeta Arae)

      *Water-Lily Nebula (IRAS 16594-4656 Arae)

      *Rijl al Jathiyah (Iota Herculis)

      *Maasym (Lambda Herculis)

      *Exclamation Mark Nebula (NGC 6309 Ophiuchi)

      *Spindle Nebula (IRAS 17106-3046 Scorpii)

      Vesta

      *Baxendell's Nebula (NGC 7088 Aquarii; alleged to be
      an optical illusion, nonexistent)

      *Kuh (Mu Capricorni)

      *Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)

      *Sze Wei (Beta Equulei)

      Chiron

      Albulaan Australis (Nu Aquarii)

      Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)

      *Marakk (Zeta Capricorni)

      Hole-In-A-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)

      Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

      Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)

      Al Kaud (Eta Delphini)

      Dhanishtra (Theta Delphini)

      Al Amud al Salib (Iota Delphini)

      Pae Chaou (Kappa Delphini)

      HD 195019 (Delphini; has planets)

      Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      *EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)

      Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
      the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
      like the gills, maybe])

      South Node

      Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

      Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
      constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
      forepaw)

      Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

      Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

      Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)

      Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
      intense X-ray source)

      Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
      obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
      Line)

      Regor (Gamma Velorum)

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2008

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > *Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)

        Arabic = eye of the archer

        http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Nunki.html

        > *Ross 154 (Sagittarii; nearby star)
        >
        > *Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

        Chinese = the heavenly casque

        > Delta Scuti (variable)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > *Chang (Upsilon-1 Hydrae)
        >
        > Shir (Rho Leonis)
        >
        > Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)
        >
        > SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)
        >
        > Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > Keenan System (NGC 5216 & 5218 Ursae Majoris;
        > interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the
        > Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer
        > Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
        > filament)
        >
        > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)
        >
        > Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
        > bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)
        >
        > Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
        >
        > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
        >
        > HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
        >
        > 16 Cygni B (has planets)
        >
        > *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
        >
        > S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
        > Large Magellanic Cloud)
        >
        > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
        >
        > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
        > Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
        >
        > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
        > constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)

        guardian of what are seen as unchanging values?

        > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > *Tao Shou (Theta Arae)

        Mandarin = the way to longevity

        > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
        > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
        > Cerberus)
        >
        > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)
        >
        > *Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)
        >
        > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
        > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
        >
        > *Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)
        >
        > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Eris
        >

        > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
        > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
        > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
        > marks the crown)

        the olive branch

        http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Almach.html

        > Koleon (Mu Arietis)

        women's reproductive issues?

        > *Vespa (30 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
        > Vespa, the Wasp)

        waspish, stinging

        > *Teegarden's Star (SO025300.5+165258 Arietis; a nearby
        > high-proper-motion star named unofficially for its
        > discoverer, Bonnard Teegarden)
        >
        > *ET Cluster (NGC 457 Cassiopeiae, an open cluster
        > around Psi Cassiopeiae)

        strangeness, alien-ness

        > Menkar (Alpha Ceti)

        http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Menkar.html

        vehicle of or victim of the collective unconscious

        > *94 Ceti (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Lucida Horologii (Alpha Horologii)

        having to do with meticulousness or time

        > *Little Dumbbell Nebula (M-76 Persei)

        kids acting not very bright

        > *WY Trianguli (cataclysmic variable)

        "why", or having to do with Wyoming

        > Pallas
        >

        > *q-1 Eridani (aka HD 10647; has a planet)
        >
        > *Simmah (Gamma Piscium)
        >
        > *Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks the obsolete
        > constellation Solarium, the Sundial)

        losing perspective due to negativity (a sundial is useless when the
        sun doesn't shine)

        > Juno
        >

        > *Tso Kang (Epsilon-1 Arae)

        Chinese = the left watch

        (the left are watching)

        > *Korban (Zeta Arae)

        Hebrew = sacrifice to god

        > *Water-Lily Nebula (IRAS 16594-4656 Arae)

        where frogs (rejects) sit

        > *Rijl al Jathiyah (Iota Herculis)

        Arabic = foot of the wrestler

        > *Maasym (Lambda Herculis)

        Arabic = wrist

        (where one wears a watch, a bracelet, or handcuffs)

        > *Exclamation Mark Nebula (NGC 6309 Ophiuchi)

        a tempest in a teacup, excited over nothing(?)

        > *Spindle Nebula (IRAS 17106-3046 Scorpii)
        >

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Baxendell's Nebula (NGC 7088 Aquarii; alleged to be
        > an optical illusion, nonexistent)

        an invisible or imaginary burden?

        > *Kuh (Mu Capricorni)
        >
        > *Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)
        >
        > *Sze Wei (Beta Equulei)
        >

        > Chiron
        >

        > Albulaan Australis (Nu Aquarii)
        >
        > Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)
        >
        > *Marakk (Zeta Capricorni)

        Arabic = loins (of the goat)

        (lecherous?)

        > Hole-In-A-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)
        >
        > Rotanev (Beta Delphini)
        >
        > Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)
        >
        > Al Kaud (Eta Delphini)
        >
        > Dhanishtra (Theta Delphini)
        >
        > Al Amud al Salib (Iota Delphini)
        >
        > Pae Chaou (Kappa Delphini)
        >
        > HD 195019 (Delphini; has planets)
        >
        > Alnair (Alpha Gruis)
        >
        > *EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)

        when somebody talks, people listen

        > North Node
        >

        > Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)
        >
        > Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)
        >
        > Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
        > the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
        > like the gills, maybe])
        >

        > South Node
        >

        > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

        being able to see in the dark (or thinking one can?)

        > Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
        >
        > Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
        > constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
        > forepaw)
        >
        > Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
        >
        > Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
        >
        > Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)
        >
        > Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
        > intense X-ray source)
        >
        > Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
        > obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
        > Line)

        being thrown a line?