Fixed star alignments (February 3, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      *AM Herculis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

      AQ Mensae (cataclysmic variable)

      *Nanto (Phi Sagittarii)

      *Delta Scuti (variable)

      Saturn

      Thuban (Alpha Draconis)

      Shir (Rho Leonis)

      Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

      SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)

      Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris; has planets)

      *Keenan System (NGC 5216 & 5218 Ursae Majoris;
      interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the
      Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer
      Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
      filament)

      CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

      Uranus

      Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)

      Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
      bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)

      Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)

      RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

      Homan (Zeta Pegasi)

      HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)

      Neptune

      LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      16 Cygni B (has planets)

      S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
      Large Magellanic Cloud)

      Al Faras Al Thani (Lambda Equulei)

      *Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
      Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      *VW Hydri

      TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      Pluto

      Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      Cerberus)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)

      Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)

      Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)

      Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
      Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      Eris

      Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      marks the crown)

      FX Cephei

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)

      Aquae Abyssi (Upsilon Ceti)

      Revati (Zeta Piscium)

      Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)

      Ceres

      *Almach (Gamma Andromedae)

      *Koleon (Mu Arietis)

      WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae)

      *Menkar (Alpha Ceti)

      *Black Hole Binary (3C 75 Ceti; a pair of merging
      black holes in the galaxy cluster Abell 400)

      *Zibal (Zeta Eridani)

      Pallas

      *SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      *Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)

      Juno

      *Sabik (Eta Ophiuchi)

      *Grafias (Zeta-2 Scorpii)

      *Nova Scorpii 2007 (V1280 Scorpii)

      *X-Ray Nova Scorpii 1994 (GRO J1655-40 Scorpii; a
      black hole northwest of Zeta Scorpii in the Scorpion's
      tail)

      *Northern Jewel Box (NGC 6231 Scorpii; open cluster)

      *Prawn Nebula (IC 4628 Scorpii)

      Vesta

      *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      *Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      *Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      *Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      *Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete
      constellation Polophylax, the Pole Guard)

      Chiron

      *Albulaan Australis (Nu Aquarii)

      Mo (7 Aquarii)

      Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)

      CH Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      Hole-In-A-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)

      *Rotanev (Beta Delphini)

      Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)

      Al Kaud (Eta Delphini)

      *Dhanishtra (Theta Delphini)

      Al Amud al Salib (Iota Delphini)

      Pae Chaou (Kappa Delphini)

      HD 195019 (Delphini; has planets)

      Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      North Node

      Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)

      (MRSL = MRSL Comparison Catalog of H-II Regions,
      authored by Pavla Marsalkova of the Stefanik
      Observatory in Prague)

      Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
      the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
      like the gills, maybe])

      South Node

      *Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

      Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
      constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
      forepaw)

      Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

      Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

      Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)

      Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
      intense X-ray source)

      Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
      obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
      Line)

      Regor (Gamma Velorum)

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2008

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > *AM Herculis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

        "I am", "AM" (AM talk radio)

        (identity politics, whipping up negative sentiment, demagoguery, slander)

        > *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

        Arabic = the talons

        > AQ Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Nanto (Phi Sagittarii)

        Chinese = south dipper

        > *Delta Scuti (variable)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Thuban (Alpha Draconis)
        >
        > Shir (Rho Leonis)
        >
        > Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

        women's issues?

        > SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)
        >
        > Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)
        >
        > Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris; has planets)
        >
        > *Keenan System (NGC 5216 & 5218 Ursae Majoris;
        > interacting galaxies connected by a filament on the
        > Draco border south of Thuban. Named for the astronomer
        > Philip Childs Keenan [1908-2000], who noticed the
        > filament)

        a bridge between worlds

        > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)
        >
        > Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
        > bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)
        >
        > Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
        >
        > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
        >
        > HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
        >
        > 16 Cygni B (has planets)
        >
        > S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
        > Large Magellanic Cloud)
        >
        > Al Faras Al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
        >
        > *Gruid (Beta Gruis)

        to crane, to rubberneck

        > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
        > Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
        >
        > *VW Hydri

        a humble vehicle

        > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
        >
        > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
        > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
        > Cerberus)
        >
        > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)
        >
        > Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Spiculum (M-8, M-20, M-21 Sagittarii; the Lagoon and
        > Trifid Nebulas plus the star cluster M-21)
        >
        > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Eris
        >

        > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
        > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
        > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
        > marks the crown)

        an olive branch, actually

        (efforts to make peace?)

        > FX Cephei
        >
        > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
        >
        > Aquae Abyssi (Upsilon Ceti)
        >
        > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
        >
        > Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > *Almach (Gamma Andromedae)
        >
        > *Koleon (Mu Arietis)

        Coptic = belly, scabbard

        (female reproductive issues)

        > WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae)
        >
        > *Menkar (Alpha Ceti)
        >
        > *Black Hole Binary (3C 75 Ceti; a pair of merging
        > black holes in the galaxy cluster Abell 400)
        >
        > *Zibal (Zeta Eridani)
        >

        > Pallas
        >

        > *SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

        Social Security, ships (?)

        > *Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)

        nibbled to death, food for the fishes

        > Juno
        >

        > *Sabik (Eta Ophiuchi)
        >
        > *Grafias (Zeta-2 Scorpii)
        >
        > *Nova Scorpii 2007 (V1280 Scorpii)
        >
        > *X-Ray Nova Scorpii 1994 (GRO J1655-40 Scorpii; a
        > black hole northwest of Zeta Scorpii in the Scorpion's
        > tail)
        >
        > *Northern Jewel Box (NGC 6231 Scorpii; open cluster)

        treasures of the north (polar bears? the seed depository in the
        Norwegian Arctic?)

        > *Prawn Nebula (IC 4628 Scorpii)

        the abortion issue?

        > Vesta