Fixed star alignments (January 27, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Ghusen (109 Herculis; in Cerberus' body)

      *AQ Mensae (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      *Facies (M-22 Sagittarii; a globular cluster)

      *Ioannina (Alpha Scuti)

      *FV Scuti

      *FH Serpentis (cataclysmic variables)

      Saturn

      Thuban (Alpha Draconis)

      *Shir (Rho Leonis)

      NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)

      *Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

      SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)

      Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris)

      CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

      Uranus

      Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)

      *Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
      bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)

      *Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)

      Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

      Homan (Zeta Pegasi)

      Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)

      Neptune

      LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      16 Cygni B (has planets)

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
      Large Magellanic Cloud)

      Al Faras Al Thani (Lambda Equulei)

      Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
      Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)

      *TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      Pluto

      Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
      sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
      Cerberus)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)

      *Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)

      *Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)

      Eris

      Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      marks the crown)

      FX Cephei

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)

      Aquae Abyssi (Upsilon Ceti)

      Revati (Zeta Piscium)

      Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)

      Ceres

      *Anfal (51 Andromedae)

      *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Comet Planetary (nebula; NGC 1350 Fornacis)

      *Deltotron (Beta Trianguli)

      Pallas

      *Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)

      *Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
      bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)

      *Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)

      Juno

      *Rasalgethi (Alpha Herculis)

      *Sarin (Delta Herculis)

      *Minkowski's Butterfly (nebula; Minkowski 2-9
      Ophiuchi)

      *Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)

      *Denebakrab (Mu-1 Scorpii)

      Vesta

      *The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
      asterism consisting of 26 Cygni and other stars said
      to resemble a red-necked emu)

      *Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      *Al Salib (Delta Delphini)

      *HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      *Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

      *Rasalkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      *IL Vulpeculae

      *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      Chiron

      Mo (7 Aquarii)

      Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)

      CH Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      Hole-In-A-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)

      Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)

      Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)

      *Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)

      Al Kaud (Eta Delphini)

      Al Amud al Salib (Iota Delphini)

      Pae Chaou (Kappa Delphini)

      HD 195019 (Delphini; has planets)

      *Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      North Node

      Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      *Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)

      (MRSL = MRSL Comparison Catalog of H-II Regions,
      authored by Pavla Marsalkova of the Stefanik
      Observatory in Prague)

      Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
      the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
      like the gills, maybe])

      South Node

      Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)

      Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
      constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
      forepaw)

      Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)

      Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)

      Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)

      Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
      intense X-ray source)

      *Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
      obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
      Line)

      Regor (Gamma Velorum)

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8 4:29 PM

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > Ghusen (109 Herculis; in Cerberus' body)

        the power to guard

        > *AQ Mensae (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

        having to do with Antarctica (whose Internet top-level domain is .aq)?
        Or maybe with water?

        > *Facies (M-22 Sagittarii; a globular cluster)

        taking aim at somebody or something

        > *Ioannina (Alpha Scuti)

        I think this star's name comes from the Latin for John (Scutum the
        Shield is the shield of King Jan III of Poland; Jan is Polish for John)

        (a john? the john?)

        > *FV Scuti
        >
        > *FH Serpentis (cataclysmic variables)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Thuban (Alpha Draconis)
        >
        > *Shir (Rho Leonis)

        Persian = head, top

        > NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
        >
        > *Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

        having to do with women (like Hillary Clinton)?

        > SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)
        >
        > Alula Boreale (Nu Ursae Majoris)

        initial or early reaction going north (working out well, or in a
        northern country)

        > Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris)

        initial or early reaction going south (being bad, or from the south,
        like in Australia)

        > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

        domestic spying

        > Uranus
        >

        > Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)
        >
        > *Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
        > bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)
        >
        > *Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)

        flirting with disaster

        > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)
        >
        > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Homan (Zeta Pegasi)
        >
        > Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)
        >
        > HD 217107 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

        "It causes overcoming by evil, which is turned into success, and gives
        danger by beasts." (Robson)

        > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
        >
        > 16 Cygni B (has planets)
        >
        > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

        having to do with Islam

        > S Doradus (one of the brightest known stars, in the
        > Large Magellanic Cloud)
        >
        > Al Faras Al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
        >
        > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; Grus was once known as
        > Phoenicopterus, the Flamingo)
        >
        > *TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

        to tie (bind or link)

        > Pluto
        >

        > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
        >
        > Ramo (95 Herculis; the Branch, which Hercules is
        > sometimes shown holding in his hand, sometimes
        > Cerberus)
        >
        > Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)
        >
        > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; a nearby star)
        >
        > *Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)
        >
        > DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Eris
        >

        > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
        > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
        > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
        > marks the crown)
        >
        > FX Cephei
        >
        > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
        >
        > Aquae Abyssi (Upsilon Ceti)
        >
        > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
        >
        > Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > *Anfal (51 Andromedae)

        Arabic = spoils, plunder

        > *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Comet Planetary (nebula; NGC 1350 Fornacis)

        disaster, mutation, lack of foresight

        > *Deltotron (Beta Trianguli)

        having to do with change (the Greek letter delta, which is a triangle,
        signifying change)

        > Pallas
        >

        > *Psi-1 Aquarii (has planets)
        >
        > *Honda's Star (aka Nova Cygni 1975; V1500 Cygni, a
        > bright 1975 nova discovered by Minoru Honda of Japan)

        mass insanity

        > *Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
        >

        > Juno
        >

        > *Rasalgethi (Alpha Herculis)

        boldness, drive to gain power

        > *Sarin (Delta Herculis)

        something deadly

        > *Minkowski's Butterfly (nebula; Minkowski 2-9
        > Ophiuchi)

        having to do with the soul (religious issues?)

        > *Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)
        >
        > *Denebakrab (Mu-1 Scorpii)

        Arabic = the scorpion's tail

        > Vesta
        >

        > *The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
        > asterism consisting of 26 Cygni and other stars said
        > to resemble a red-necked emu)

        determined to ignore reality and quite possibly pay for it

        > *Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

        Arabic = the pearls

        (precious things)

        > *Al Salib (Delta Delphini)

        Arabic = the cross

        (having to do with Christianity?)

        > *HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

        pompous in one's authority

        > *Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

        kids going their own way

        > *Rasalkurki (Lambda Gruis)

        trying to grab the brass ring

        > *IL Vulpeculae
        >
        > *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

        somebody being cued or fingered as talented (consultants)

        > Chiron
        >

        > Mo (7 Aquarii)
        >
        > Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)
        >
        > CH Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Hole-In-A-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)
        >
        > Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)
        >
        > Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)
        >
        > *Kwa Chaou (Zeta Delphini)

        Chinese = a gourd

        (psychological or psychiatric issues?)

        > Al Kaud (Eta Delphini)

        Arabic = the riding camel

        (taking you across a desert)

        > Al Amud al Salib (Iota Delphini)

        Arabic = the pillar of the cross

        (true Christian believers)

        > Pae Chaou (Kappa Delphini)

        Chinese = rotten melon

        (like garbage thrown at people)

        > HD 195019 (Delphini; has planets)
        >
        > *Alnair (Alpha Gruis)
        >

        > North Node
        >

        > Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)
        >
        > *Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)
        >
        > (MRSL = MRSL Comparison Catalog of H-II Regions,
        > authored by Pavla Marsalkova of the Stefanik
        > Observatory in Prague)

        the propeller beanie brigade? (believing stuff like Barack Obama is a
        Muslim?)

        > Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini; close to
        > the heart of Piscis Austrini the Southern Fish [more
        > like the gills, maybe])
        >

        > South Node
        >

        > Alphard (Alpha Hydrae)
        >
        > Cat's Prey (I Hydrae; part of the obsolete
        > constellation Felis the Cat, lying under the Cat's
        > forepaw)
        >
        > Adhafera (Zeta Leonis)
        >
        > Al Jabhah (Eta Leonis)
        >
        > Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)
        >
        > Puppis A (2U 0821-42 Puppis; a supernova remnant and
        > intense X-ray source)
        >
        > *Funis (Beta Pyxidis; marks the line part of the
        > obsolete constellation Lochium et Funis, the Log and
        > Line)

        throwing somebody a lifeline? tethered to somebody (Britney Spears
        being put under conservatorship?)

        > Regor (Gamma Velorum)

        rigor