Re: southern skies

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2008
      Thanks.

      I had to let this out of the spam folder...

      Mark A. Holmes

      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Walker" <lawalker@...> wrote:

      > Hello Mark
      >

      > I'm way behind in reading these emails so please forgive the late
      reply.

      > Our Maori celebrate a festival called Matariki in early winter each
      year. It is their New Year, & is celebrated either when the Pleiades
      first appear at dawn or at a nearby lunation. The celebrations get
      media coverage now, & are becoming more widely attended. Stars & the
      sky are an important feature of the Maori culture. I googled it &
      found a site that explains a bit more about their beliefs on Matariki.
      http://www.taitokerau.co.nz/matariki.htm

      > Another resource with a bit more depth on Maori star folklore in
      general is

      http://io.knowledge-basket.co.nz/taonga/contents/taonga/text/dm/dm3.html
      It is now available as an eBook, & was first published in 1922. Didn't
      have time to read through this one fully, but it seems fairly well
      researched account. The ending is poignant, as history shows our Maori
      first migrated from islands East of China, across the Pacific as far
      as Hawaii, & then back to NZ about 800 years ago, looking for their
      homeland.

      > I'm sure there are more resources out there, but this is a start for
      those interested in following it up.