Re: BBC E-mail: Planets form twice for old stars

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2008

      > Mark Andrew Holmes saw this story on the BBC News website and
      thought you
      > should see it.
      >

      > ** Planets form twice for old stars **
      > Two old stars appear to be generating planets long after the normal
      period, astronomers say.
      > < http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/7180329.stm >

      BLGD...

      Mark A. Holmes

      Begin story.--

      Planets form twice for old stars
      By Paul Rincon
      Science reporter, BBC News, Austin

      Two old stars may be undergoing a second episode of planet formation,
      long after their initial window of opportunity.

      Astronomers believe the stars once had orbiting companions, but that
      these were engulfed when the stars expanded.

      This caused matter to be ejected from the stars, forming a disc of
      dust and gas from which planets could form anew.

      Details were presented at the 211th American Astronomical Society
      meeting in Austin, Texas.

      Jets of gas

      The two stars described in the latest study - known as BP Piscium and
      Tycho 4144 329 2 respectively - possess many signatures characteristic
      of stellar youngsters.

      These include the active, rapid accretion of gas, an extended orbiting
      disc of dust and gas, excess emission in the infrared spectrum and -
      in the case of BP Piscium - jets of gas being fired off into space.

      After star formation, the dust and gas left over gradually forms
      planetesimals, like comets and asteroids, as well as planets. So
      astronomers should see dusty discs around very young stars.

      "If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, we should expect that
      it is a duck," explained co-author Carl Melis, a graduate student at
      the University of California, Los Angeles.

      "But as we got more data on these stars, a lot of things just didn't
      add up."

      Young stars should have large amounts of the metal lithium, because
      stars burn this element as they get older. However, the amount of
      lithium in BP Piscium was seven times lower than one would expect for
      a star of its temperature.

      The researchers compared BP Piscium with statistical models for stars
      of different ages.

      'Second youth'

      They found it was a bad fit for a young star, but the data were in
      perfect agreement with the scenario for an old star.

      In addition, there was no molecular cloud nearby that could have given
      rise to the star if it was truly young.

      Tycho 4144 329 2 has a companion, allowing astronomers to ascertain a
      distance for the star and that the age of the system was at least 400
      million years old, and probably much older.

      But the question of why the old stars should be undergoing a "second
      youth" is harder to explain.

      "The only reasonable conclusion we can come to as far as the origin of
      the dust and gas around these stars goes is that they used to have a
      very short orbital period companion nearby, and that as the stars
      expanded... this companion was engulfed, that caused the stars to
      eject matter," said Mr Melis.

      "But we don't have any evidence for any planets forming in these
      systems as yet."

      Sara Seager, a professor of astronomy at Massachusetts Institute of
      Technology (MIT), said the work was "really interesting".

      She added: "It shows that planet formation is ubiquitous. It gives us
      the hope to find lots of planets and hopefully some with life someday."

      --End story.