Yahoo! News Story - Baffling Cosmic Explosion Comes Out of Nowhere - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2007
      Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Baffling Cosmic Explosion Comes Out of Nowhere - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071218/sc_space/bafflingcosmicexplosioncomesoutofnowhere

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2007

        > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent
        > you a news article.

        > Personal message:
        >

        > Baffling Cosmic Explosion Comes Out of Nowhere -
        > Yahoo! News

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071218/sc_space/bafflingcosmicexplosioncomesoutofnowhere

        More info on this phenomenon below the story.

        --Begin story.

        Baffling Cosmic Explosion Comes Out of Nowhere

        Andrea Thompson
        LiveScience Staff Writer
        SPACE.com Tue Dec 18, 3:15 PM ET

        A cosmic explosion that seems to have come out of
        nowhere—thousands of light-years from the nearest
        collection of stars—has left astronomers baffled.

        The blast, one of the brightest this year, was
        detected by spacecraft from the Inter-Planetary
        Network on Jan. 25 and satellites were used to
        pinpoint its location to a region of the sky in the
        constellation Gemini.

        The explosion was a type called a long-duration
        gamma-ray burst (GRB), which are thought to be powered
        by the death of a massive star. But images taken after
        the glow of the burst, dubbed GRB 070125, had faded
        away showed no galaxy at the location.

        "Here we have this very bright burst, yet it's
        surrounded by darkness on all sides," said team member
        Brad Cenko of the California Institute of Technology.
        "The nearest galaxy is more than 88,000 light-years
        away, and there's almost no gas lying between the
        burst and Earth."

        Scientists used telescopes at Palomar Observatory and
        on Hawaii's Mauna Kea to examine the burst's spectrum,
        which revealed no signs of gas and dust absorbing the
        light of the afterglow. A trace of magnesium in the
        spectrum indicated that the burst took place more than
        9.4 billion years ago.

        Because the massive stars believed to produce GRBs
        live fast and die young, they don't have time to
        wander from their birthplace, which is usually dense
        clouds of gas and dust inside of galaxies. So the
        explosion raise the perplexing question of how a
        massive star could be found so far from a galaxy.

        "If a massive star died far away from any galaxy, the
        key question is, how did it manage to be born there?"
        said team member Derek Fox of Penn State.

        One possibility is that the star formed in the
        outskirts of an interacting galaxy. To test this idea,
        astronomers will have to take a long exposure of the
        area with the Hubble Space Telescope to see if they
        can find the tidal tail of an interacting galaxy
        there.

        --End story.

        ****

        http://gcn.gsfc.nasa.gov/reports/report_28_1.pdf

        (if you want to read this file, be sure you have Adobe
        Acrobat Reader)

        RA 7h51m18.10s
        [declination] +31 09' 03.2′′

        Zodiacal longitude 24 Cancer 03.

        Right above the Twin Pollux's head, about halfway
        between Castor (Alpha Geminorum) and 15 Cancri.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and