Re: Yahoo! News Story - Caught on tape: Death star galaxy - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007

      > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      > Personal message:
      >

      > Caught on tape: Death star galaxy - Yahoo! News
      >
      > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_on_sc/death_star

      More info on this object, 3C321, is below this story.

      Begin story.--

      Caught on tape: Death star galaxy

      By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer

      WASHINGTON - The latest act of senseless violence caught on tape is
      cosmic in scope: A black hole in a "death star galaxy" blasting a
      neighboring galaxy with a deadly jet of radiation and energy.

      A fleet of space and ground telescopes have captured images of this
      cosmic violence, which people have never witnessed before, according
      to a new study released Monday by NASA.

      "It's like a bully, a black-hole bully punching the nose of a
      passing galaxy," said astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, director
      of the Hayden Planetarium in New York, who wasn't involved in the
      research.

      But ultimately, this could be a deadly punch.

      The telescope images show the bully galaxy shooting a stream of
      deadly radiation particles into the lower section of the other
      galaxy, which is about one-tenth its size. Both are about 8.2
      billion trillion miles from here, orbiting around each other.

      The larger galaxy has a multi-digit name but is called the "death
      star galaxy" by one of the researchers who discovered the galactic
      bullying, Daniel Evans of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
      Astrophysics.

      Tens of millions of stars, including those with orbiting planets,
      are likely in the path of the deadly jet, said study co-author
      Martin Hardcastle of the University of Hertfordshire in the United
      Kingdom.

      If Earth were in the way — and it's not — the high-energy particles
      and radiation of the jet would in a matter of months strip away the
      planet's protective ozone layer and compress the protective
      magnetosphere, said Evans. That would then allow the sun and the jet
      itself to bombard the planet with high-energy particles.

      And what would that do life on the planet?

      "Decompose it," Tyson said.

      "Sterilize it," Evans piped in.

      The jet attack is relatively new, in deep space time. Hardcastle
      estimates it's no more than 1 million years old and can stretch on
      for another 10 to 100 million years.

      "A truly extraordinary act of violence," Evans said. "The jet
      violently slams into that lower half of the neighboring galaxy after
      which the jet dramatically twists and bends."

      The good news is that eventually an area of hot gas that gets hit
      and compressed by this mysterious jet — astronomers are still
      baffled by what's in it and how it works — over millions and
      billions of years can form stars, Tyson said.

      NASA, the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in United States and
      the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom used ground
      optical and radio telescopes, the Hubble Space Telescope, the
      Chandra X-ray Observatory, and the infrared Spitzer Space Telescope
      to get an image of the violence on various wavelengths, including
      invisible ones. The results will be published in The Astrophysical
      Journal next year.

      The two galaxies are only 24,000 light-years apart and are in a slow
      merging process. The jet has already traveled 1 million light-years.
      A light-year is about 5.88 trillion miles.

      Tyson said there are two main lessons to be learned from what the
      telescopes have found:

      "This is a reminder that you are not alone in the universe. You are
      not isolated. You are not an island."

      And "avoid black holes when you can."

      ___

      On the Net

      NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory: http://chandra.nasa.gov/

      --End story.

      *****

      http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/07-139.html

      http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/3c321/

      "Category: Quasars & Active Galaxies
      Coordinates (J2000): RA 15h 31m 42.70s | Dec +24º 04' 25.00''
      Constellation: Serpens"

      I'm going to have to find out whether that's Caput or Cauda, and the
      zodiacal coordinates, later.

      Mark A. Holmes
    • Morgana
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
        Hey Mark,
        Interesting Story about this black hole. Thanks for the link.
        This is one of mine in my files, 3C 321, 12*Scorpio42'45" right now in the
        sky.
        Morgana

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Morgana <morganad@...> wrote:

          > Hey Mark,
          > Interesting Story about this black hole. Thanks for the link.
          > This is one of mine in my files, 3C 321, 12*Scorpio42'45" right now
          in the
          > sky.
          > Morgana

          Thanks.

          Mark A. Holmes

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007

            > > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@) has sent you a news article.
            > > (Email address has not been verified.)
            > > Personal message:
            > >

            > > Caught on tape: Death star galaxy - Yahoo! News
            > >
            > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_on_sc/death_star
            > >

            > http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/07-139.html
            >
            > http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/3c321/
            >

            > "Category: Quasars & Active Galaxies
            > Coordinates (J2000): RA 15h 31m 42.70s | Dec +24º 04' 25.00''
            > Constellation: Serpens"
            >
            > I'm going to have to find out whether that's Caput or Cauda, and the
            > zodiacal coordinates, later.

            Serpens Caput, almost as far as the Corona Borealis border, south of
            Alphecca.