Yahoo! News Story - Caught on tape: Death star galaxy - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
      Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Caught on tape: Death star galaxy - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_on_sc/death_star

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007

        > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
        > Personal message:
        >

        > Caught on tape: Death star galaxy - Yahoo! News
        >
        > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_on_sc/death_star

        More info on this object, 3C321, is below this story.

        Begin story.--

        Caught on tape: Death star galaxy

        By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer

        WASHINGTON - The latest act of senseless violence caught on tape is
        cosmic in scope: A black hole in a "death star galaxy" blasting a
        neighboring galaxy with a deadly jet of radiation and energy.

        A fleet of space and ground telescopes have captured images of this
        cosmic violence, which people have never witnessed before, according
        to a new study released Monday by NASA.

        "It's like a bully, a black-hole bully punching the nose of a
        passing galaxy," said astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, director
        of the Hayden Planetarium in New York, who wasn't involved in the
        research.

        But ultimately, this could be a deadly punch.

        The telescope images show the bully galaxy shooting a stream of
        deadly radiation particles into the lower section of the other
        galaxy, which is about one-tenth its size. Both are about 8.2
        billion trillion miles from here, orbiting around each other.

        The larger galaxy has a multi-digit name but is called the "death
        star galaxy" by one of the researchers who discovered the galactic
        bullying, Daniel Evans of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
        Astrophysics.

        Tens of millions of stars, including those with orbiting planets,
        are likely in the path of the deadly jet, said study co-author
        Martin Hardcastle of the University of Hertfordshire in the United
        Kingdom.

        If Earth were in the way — and it's not — the high-energy particles
        and radiation of the jet would in a matter of months strip away the
        planet's protective ozone layer and compress the protective
        magnetosphere, said Evans. That would then allow the sun and the jet
        itself to bombard the planet with high-energy particles.

        And what would that do life on the planet?

        "Decompose it," Tyson said.

        "Sterilize it," Evans piped in.

        The jet attack is relatively new, in deep space time. Hardcastle
        estimates it's no more than 1 million years old and can stretch on
        for another 10 to 100 million years.

        "A truly extraordinary act of violence," Evans said. "The jet
        violently slams into that lower half of the neighboring galaxy after
        which the jet dramatically twists and bends."

        The good news is that eventually an area of hot gas that gets hit
        and compressed by this mysterious jet — astronomers are still
        baffled by what's in it and how it works — over millions and
        billions of years can form stars, Tyson said.

        NASA, the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in United States and
        the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom used ground
        optical and radio telescopes, the Hubble Space Telescope, the
        Chandra X-ray Observatory, and the infrared Spitzer Space Telescope
        to get an image of the violence on various wavelengths, including
        invisible ones. The results will be published in The Astrophysical
        Journal next year.

        The two galaxies are only 24,000 light-years apart and are in a slow
        merging process. The jet has already traveled 1 million light-years.
        A light-year is about 5.88 trillion miles.

        Tyson said there are two main lessons to be learned from what the
        telescopes have found:

        "This is a reminder that you are not alone in the universe. You are
        not isolated. You are not an island."

        And "avoid black holes when you can."

        ___

        On the Net

        NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory: http://chandra.nasa.gov/

        --End story.

        *****

        http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/07-139.html

        http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/3c321/

        "Category: Quasars & Active Galaxies
        Coordinates (J2000): RA 15h 31m 42.70s | Dec +24º 04' 25.00''
        Constellation: Serpens"

        I'm going to have to find out whether that's Caput or Cauda, and the
        zodiacal coordinates, later.

        Mark A. Holmes
      • Morgana
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
          Hey Mark,
          Interesting Story about this black hole. Thanks for the link.
          This is one of mine in my files, 3C 321, 12*Scorpio42'45" right now in the
          sky.
          Morgana

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
            --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Morgana <morganad@...> wrote:

            > Hey Mark,
            > Interesting Story about this black hole. Thanks for the link.
            > This is one of mine in my files, 3C 321, 12*Scorpio42'45" right now
            in the
            > sky.
            > Morgana

            Thanks.

            Mark A. Holmes

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007

              > > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@) has sent you a news article.
              > > (Email address has not been verified.)
              > > Personal message:
              > >

              > > Caught on tape: Death star galaxy - Yahoo! News
              > >
              > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_on_sc/death_star
              > >

              > http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/07-139.html
              >
              > http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/3c321/
              >

              > "Category: Quasars & Active Galaxies
              > Coordinates (J2000): RA 15h 31m 42.70s | Dec +24º 04' 25.00''
              > Constellation: Serpens"
              >
              > I'm going to have to find out whether that's Caput or Cauda, and the
              > zodiacal coordinates, later.

              Serpens Caput, almost as far as the Corona Borealis border, south of
              Alphecca.