Re: Yahoo! News Story - Planet Formation is Child's Play - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007

      > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      > Personal message:
      >

      > Planet Formation is Child's Play - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071129/sc_space/planetformationischildsplay

      UX Tauri

      http://astro.corlan.net/obs/3065/UX-TAU/1.html

      RA 4h30m03.9s
      declination +18°13'53"

      south of Epsilon and west of Delta-3 Tauri around the Hyades

      9 Gemini 29

      Lick Ca Survey (LkCa) 15 (Tauri)

      http://www.circumstellardisks.org/cgi-bin/objpage2.pl?ID=LkCa%2015

      RA 4h39m17.8s
      declination +22°21'04"

      near Tau Tauri

      12 Gemini 13

      Story reposted below.

      Mark A. Holmes

      Begin story.

      Planet Formation is Child's Play

      Dave Mosher
      Staff Writer
      SPACE.com Thu Nov 29, 5:00 PM ET

      Astronomers think they have found the two youngest solar systems ever
      detected, where infant planets could be sweeping up dust and creating
      voids in protoplanetary disks 450 light-years from Earth.

      NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope observed the ring-like gaps, which
      could signal the earliest signs of rocky planet formation around two
      young stars located in the constellation Taurus—UX Tau A and LkCa 15.
      Both stars are about 1 million years old, which is 10 times younger
      than other known planet-forming systems.

      "Previously, astronomers were seeing holes at the centers of
      protoplanetary disks," said Catherine Espaillat, an astronomer at the
      University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Such holes are typically thought
      to be caused by photoevaporation, or stars burning dust away into
      light energy.

      But instead of central holes, Espaillat's team saw ring-like gaps in
      the spinning planetary materials.

      "It's more like a lane has been cleared within the disk. The existence
      of planets is the most probable theory that can explain this
      structure," she said, as the lanes are likely too distant from the
      star to photoevaporate.

      The idea is similar to touching a dusty record as it rotates, clearing
      a ring in the mat of particles; planets, however, use their growing
      gravity to sweep up the dust.

      The Dec. 1 issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters will detail
      Espaillat and her colleagues' findings about the infant solar systems,
      which they said could help explain our own planet's past.

      "We are looking for our history," said University of Michigan
      astronomer Nuria Calvet, who worked with Espaillat on the research.
      "We are looking for the history of solar systems, trying to understand
      how they form."

      --End story.