Re: Fixed star alignments (November 25, 2007)

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2007

      > > As of midnight GMT.
      > >

      > > Jupiter
      > >

      > > *Choo (Alpha Arae)
      > >
      > > *Karnot Mizbeach (Beta Arae)
      >

      > Hebrew = horns of the altar
      >

      > > *Zadok (Gamma Arae)
      >

      > Hebrew = the righteous one
      >

      > religion and politics are mixing here and seem to have come into
      > sharper focus lately
      >

      > > *Grumium (Xi Draconis)

      Some people want to continue to be insolent (Bush, Chavez, Ahmenijad,
      Bin Laden)

      ?

      > > NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)

      I'm going to have to look both of these up

      > > Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris)
      > >
      > > (has an extrasolar planet)

      Kevin Rudd racing to ratify the Kyoto Protocol

      > > *Coddington Nebula (IC 2574 Ursae Majoris; diffuse
      > > nebula)

      I think I posted on this before; I'll have to look and see

      > > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
      > >

      > > Uranus
      > >

      > > HD 210277 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
      > >
      > > Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)
      > >
      > > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Humason 1-2 Cygni)
      > >
      > > The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni; a small
      > > asterism north of Deneb)

      junk food, gambling, issues pertaining to poor childhood eating habits
      and other unwise behavior on the part of children

      > > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      religion a big factor in the US elections (and now Tony Blair has
      brought it up, too; I think it has figured in the recent Polish
      elections as well)

      > > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

      concerns about time zones, as well as language and cultural issues, at
      the International Space Station now that the European Union has a
      presence there

      > > Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
      > >
      > > Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      Fires that have been set recently in women's restrooms in the US
      Capitol, it seems, are the work of a Capitol police officer

      > > Neptune
      > >

      > > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
      > >
      > > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
      > >
      > > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
      > > asterism in Cygnus)
      > >
      > > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
      > >
      > > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
      > >
      > > Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)
      > >
      > > IL Vulpeculae
      > >
      > > QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
      > >

      > > Pluto
      > >

      > > Mu Arae (star with exoplanets)
      > >
      > > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
      > >
      > > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      > >
      > > *Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)

      Arabic = "the southern knee of the wrestler" or maybe "the bad knee of
      the wrestler"

      (Democrats at a disadvantage against Bush and his Republican minions
      in Congress)

      > > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
      > >
      > > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a dying star named
      > > for its Japanese discoverer, Yukio Sakurai)
      > >
      > > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
      > > fastest known spinning pulsar)
      > >
      > > Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
      > >
      > > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      > >
      > > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
      > > named for its emissions pattern and its lead
      > > discoverer, Scott Hyman)
      > >

      > > Eris
      > >

      > > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      > > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      > > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      > > marks the crown)
      > >
      > > FX Cephei
      > >
      > > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
      > >
      > > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
      > >
      > > Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)
      > >

      > > Ceres
      > >

      > > Almach (Gamma Andromedae)
      > >
      > > *Anfal (51 Andromedae)
      >
      > Arabic = spoils
      >

      > > *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > "wax" (shiny, slick)?
      >

      > > Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae)

      concerns about punishment of juvenile criminals?

      > > *Black Hole Binary (3C 75 Ceti; a pair of colliding
      > > black holes in the galaxy cluster Abell 400)
      >

      > ?
      >

      > > Zibal (Zeta Eridani)

      Arabic = ostriches

      (about climate change?)

      > > *Comet Planetary (NGC 1350 Fornacis)
      >

      > some kind of change, not really foreseeable?
      >

      > > *Deltotron (Beta Trianguli)
      >

      > bringing change? (delta)
      >

      > > Pallas
      > >

      > > Kae Uh (Omicron Aquarii)

      Chinese = the roof

      > > *FO Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      scoffing at empty allegations and scare tactics

      > > HD 210277 (Aquarii; has an extrasolar planet; in
      > > Aquarius' chest)
      > >
      > > Helix Nebula (NGC 7293 Aquarii)
      > >
      > > Nova Cygni 1920 (V476 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Shay Show (Epsilon Hydri)
      > >
      > > Enif (Epsilon Pegasi)
      > >
      > > Tien Kang (Delta Piscis Austrini)
      > >
      > > NGC 7052 (Vulpeculae; an edge-on galaxy with a
      > > suspected black hole)
      > >

      > > Juno
      > >

      > > *Ke Kwan (Kappa Centauri)

      Chinese = the cavalry officer

      (riding to the rescue?)

      > > *Xiphias (Pi-2 Doradus; at the tip of the nose of
      > > Dorado the Mahimahi, once known as Xiphias the
      > > Swordfish)

      > > *Arrakis (Mu Draconis)

      Arabic = dancer

      > > *Marsik (Kappa Herculis)
      > >
      > > *Zubenalhakrabi (Gamma Librae)
      > >
      > > *Ke Kouan Lupi (Beta Lupi)

      Chinese/Latin = the cavalry officer of the wolf

      > > *Bin Ridwan's Star (SN 1006 Lupi; aka Supernova 1006.
      > > Ali bin Ridwan was an Egyptian astronomer who
      > > described the supernova)

      I'll have to go back and look at this

      > > *Meih Fung (Delta Muscae)

      Chinese = the bee (?)

      http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Musca.htm

      > > *Etched Hourglass Nebula (Mayall-Cannon 18 Muscae)
      > >
      > > (I've been listing this as MyCn 18. MyCn =
      > > Mayall-Cannon; it's from a catalog originally intended
      > > as an extended Henry Draper [HD] Catalogue compiled by
      > > Margaret Mayall and Annie Jump Cannon)

      time running out

      > > *Leiolepidotus (Mu Serpentis)
      >

      > Latin = smooth-scaled

      slick?

      > > Vesta
      > >

      > > *Al Thalamain II (Lambda Aquilae)
      >

      > ostrich-like behavior
      >

      > > *Nova Aquilae 1905 (V604 Aquilae; cataclysmic
      > > variable)

      let me find out where this is

      > > *Phantom Streak (NGC 6741 Aquilae)

      fugitives (there's something going on in Britain about a man who may
      have faked amnesia and disappeared)

      > > *Nova Hassel (V446 Herculis; discovered by Norwegian
      > > astronomer Olaf Hassel, who was hearing-impaired)

      not hearing, not caring, disabled?

      > > *Delta Pavonis (nearby sunlike star)

      I'll have to look this up

      > > *Rukbat (Alpha Sagittarii)

      steadiness

      > > *Albaldah (Pi Sagittarii)

      Arabic = the city

      (having to do with cities?)

      > > Chiron
      > >

      > > Albali (Epsilon Aquarii)
      > >
      > > Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a variable galaxy)
      > >
      > > Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)
      > >
      > > Chi Cygni (variable star)
      > >
      > > Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni)
      > >
      > > Foo Pih (Gamma Hydri)
      > >
      > > Shay Fuh (Nu Hydri)
      > >
      > > *Lucida Globi (Epsilon Microscopii; the brightest star
      > > in the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostaticus [the
      > > Hot Air Balloon])
      >

      > blowing out hot air (campaigns)
      >

      > > 47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a bright highly resolved
      > > globular cluster mistaken for a star and given a
      > > Flamsteed number; it even has a Bayer designation--Xi
      > > Tucanae)
      > >

      > > North Node
      > >

      > > Ancha (Theta Aquarii)
      > >
      > > Kae Uh (Omicron Aquarii)
      > >
      > > *HD 210277 (Aquarii; has an extrasolar planet; in
      > > Aquarius' chest)
      > >
      > > Nova Cygni 1920 (V476 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
      > >
      > > Tien Kang (Delta Piscis Austrini)
      > >
      > > Lacaille 9352 (Piscis Austrini; a nearby star)
      > >
      > > NGC 7052 (Vulpeculae; an edge-on galaxy with a
      > > suspected black hole)
      > >

      > > South Node
      > >

      > > Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; marks the forepaw of the obsolete
      > > constellation Felis the Cat, between Hydra and Antlia)

      trying to use somebody or something as a cat's paw?