Re: Fixed star alignments (November 25, 2007)

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *Choo (Alpha Arae)
      >
      > *Karnot Mizbeach (Beta Arae)

      Hebrew = horns of the altar

      > *Zadok (Gamma Arae)

      Hebrew = the righteous one

      religion and politics are mixing here and seem to have come into
      sharper focus lately

      > *Grumium (Xi Draconis)

      > *Melquarth (Mu Herculis)
      >
      > *Lucida Mensae (Alpha Mensae, the brightest star in
      > Mensa the Table Mountain)
      >
      > *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)

      Vladimir Putin seems to be popular in Russia, though the recent
      parliamentary election has been criticized; in Venezuela, the voters
      wouldn't endorse Hugo Chavez' attempted power grab; here in the US,
      Mike Huckabee has gained dramatically in the polls, Rudy Giuliani not
      being ideologically pure enough for many Republican voters

      > *Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
      >
      > *Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
      >
      > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)

      Bush continuing to try to pick a fight with Iran

      > Saturn
      >

      > Thuban (Alpha Draconis)
      >
      > *M-105 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > (has an extrasolar planet)
      >
      > *Coddington Nebula (IC 2574 Ursae Majoris; diffuse
      > nebula)
      >
      > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > HD 210277 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
      >
      > Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)
      >
      > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Humason 1-2 Cygni)
      >
      > The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni; a small
      > asterism north of Deneb)
      >
      > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)
      >
      > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
      >
      > Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
      >
      > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
      >
      > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
      > asterism in Cygnus)
      >
      > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
      >
      > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
      >
      > Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)
      >
      > IL Vulpeculae
      >
      > QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Mu Arae (star with exoplanets)
      >
      > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
      >
      > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >
      > *Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
      >
      > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a dying star named
      > for its Japanese discoverer, Yukio Sakurai)
      >
      > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
      > fastest known spinning pulsar)
      >
      > Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
      >
      > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      >
      > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      >
      > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
      > named for its emissions pattern and its lead
      > discoverer, Scott Hyman)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      > marks the crown)
      >
      > FX Cephei
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
      >
      > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
      >
      > Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > Almach (Gamma Andromedae)
      >
      > *Anfal (51 Andromedae)

      Arabic = spoils

      > *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)

      "wax" (shiny, slick)?

      ?

      > Zibal (Zeta Eridani)
      >
      > *Comet Planetary (NGC 1350 Fornacis)

      some kind of change, not really foreseeable?

      > *Deltotron (Beta Trianguli)

      bringing change? (delta)

      > Pallas
      >

      > Kae Uh (Omicron Aquarii)
      >
      > *FO Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > HD 210277 (Aquarii; has an extrasolar planet; in
      > Aquarius' chest)
      >
      > Helix Nebula (NGC 7293 Aquarii)
      >
      > Nova Cygni 1920 (V476 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Shay Show (Epsilon Hydri)
      >
      > Enif (Epsilon Pegasi)
      >
      > Tien Kang (Delta Piscis Austrini)
      >
      > NGC 7052 (Vulpeculae; an edge-on galaxy with a
      > suspected black hole)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > *Ke Kwan (Kappa Centauri)
      >
      > *Xiphias (Pi-2 Doradus; at the tip of the nose of
      > Dorado the Mahimahi, once known as Xiphias the
      > Swordfish)
      >
      > *Arrakis (Mu Draconis)
      >
      > *Marsik (Kappa Herculis)
      >
      > *Zubenalhakrabi (Gamma Librae)
      >
      > *Ke Kouan Lupi (Beta Lupi)
      >
      > *Bin Ridwan's Star (SN 1006 Lupi; aka Supernova 1006.
      > Ali bin Ridwan was an Egyptian astronomer who
      > described the supernova)
      >
      > *Meih Fung (Delta Muscae)
      >
      > *Etched Hourglass Nebula (Mayall-Cannon 18 Muscae)
      >
      > (I've been listing this as MyCn 18. MyCn =
      > Mayall-Cannon; it's from a catalog originally intended
      > as an extended Henry Draper [HD] Catalogue compiled by
      > Margaret Mayall and Annie Jump Cannon)
      >
      > *Leiolepidotus (Mu Serpentis)

      Latin = smooth-scaled

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Al Thalamain II (Lambda Aquilae)

      ostrich-like behavior

      > *Nova Aquilae 1905 (V604 Aquilae; cataclysmic
      > variable)
      >
      > *Phantom Streak (NGC 6741 Aquilae)
      >
      > *Nova Hassel (V446 Herculis; discovered by Norwegian
      > astronomer Olaf Hassel, who was hearing-impaired)
      >
      > *Delta Pavonis (nearby sunlike star)
      >
      > *Rukbat (Alpha Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Albaldah (Pi Sagittarii)
      >

      > Chiron
      >

      > Albali (Epsilon Aquarii)
      >
      > Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a variable galaxy)
      >
      > Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)
      >
      > Chi Cygni (variable star)
      >
      > Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni)
      >
      > Foo Pih (Gamma Hydri)
      >
      > Shay Fuh (Nu Hydri)
      >
      > *Lucida Globi (Epsilon Microscopii; the brightest star
      > in the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostaticus [the
      > Hot Air Balloon])

      blowing out hot air (campaigns)

      > 47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a bright highly resolved
      > globular cluster mistaken for a star and given a
      > Flamsteed number; it even has a Bayer designation--Xi
      > Tucanae)
      >

      > North Node
      >

      > Ancha (Theta Aquarii)
      >
      > Kae Uh (Omicron Aquarii)
      >
      > *HD 210277 (Aquarii; has an extrasolar planet; in
      > Aquarius' chest)
      >
      > Nova Cygni 1920 (V476 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Tien Kang (Delta Piscis Austrini)
      >
      > Lacaille 9352 (Piscis Austrini; a nearby star)
      >
      > NGC 7052 (Vulpeculae; an edge-on galaxy with a
      > suspected black hole)
      >

      > South Node
      >

      > Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; marks the forepaw of the obsolete
      > constellation Felis the Cat, between Hydra and Antlia)
      >
      > T Pyxidis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Lalande 21185 (Ursae Majoris; a nearby star, with
      > suspected exoplanets)

      I'll pick this up again later.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2007

        > > As of midnight GMT.
        > >

        > > Jupiter
        > >

        > > *Choo (Alpha Arae)
        > >
        > > *Karnot Mizbeach (Beta Arae)
        >

        > Hebrew = horns of the altar
        >

        > > *Zadok (Gamma Arae)
        >

        > Hebrew = the righteous one
        >

        > religion and politics are mixing here and seem to have come into
        > sharper focus lately
        >

        > > *Grumium (Xi Draconis)

        Some people want to continue to be insolent (Bush, Chavez, Ahmenijad,
        Bin Laden)

        > > *Melquarth (Mu Herculis)
        > >
        > > *Lucida Mensae (Alpha Mensae, the brightest star in
        > > Mensa the Table Mountain)
        > >
        > > *Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
        >

        > Vladimir Putin seems to be popular in Russia, though the recent
        > parliamentary election has been criticized; in Venezuela, the voters
        > wouldn't endorse Hugo Chavez' attempted power grab; here in the US,
        > Mike Huckabee has gained dramatically in the polls, Rudy Giuliani not
        > being ideologically pure enough for many Republican voters
        >

        > > *Shaula (Lambda Scorpii)
        > >
        > > *Lesath (Upsilon Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Walnut Nebula (IRAS 17245-3951 Scorpii)
        >

        > Bush continuing to try to pick a fight with Iran
        >

        > > Saturn
        > >

        > > Thuban (Alpha Draconis)
        > >
        > > *M-105 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)

        ?

        > > NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)

        I'm going to have to look both of these up

        > > Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris)
        > >
        > > (has an extrasolar planet)

        Kevin Rudd racing to ratify the Kyoto Protocol

        > > *Coddington Nebula (IC 2574 Ursae Majoris; diffuse
        > > nebula)

        I think I posted on this before; I'll have to look and see

        > > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
        > >

        > > Uranus
        > >

        > > HD 210277 (Piscium; has an extrasolar planet)
        > >
        > > Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)
        > >
        > > Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Humason 1-2 Cygni)
        > >
        > > The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni; a small
        > > asterism north of Deneb)

        junk food, gambling, issues pertaining to poor childhood eating habits
        and other unwise behavior on the part of children

        > > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

        religion a big factor in the US elections (and now Tony Blair has
        brought it up, too; I think it has figured in the recent Polish
        elections as well)

        > > RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

        concerns about time zones, as well as language and cultural issues, at
        the International Space Station now that the European Union has a
        presence there

        > > Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
        > >
        > > Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

        Fires that have been set recently in women's restrooms in the US
        Capitol, it seems, are the work of a Capitol police officer

        > > Neptune
        > >

        > > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
        > >
        > > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
        > >
        > > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
        > > asterism in Cygnus)
        > >
        > > Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)
        > >
        > > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
        > >
        > > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
        > >
        > > Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)
        > >
        > > IL Vulpeculae
        > >
        > > QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
        > >

        > > Pluto
        > >

        > > Mu Arae (star with exoplanets)
        > >
        > > Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)
        > >
        > > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
        > >
        > > *Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)

        Arabic = "the southern knee of the wrestler" or maybe "the bad knee of
        the wrestler"

        (Democrats at a disadvantage against Bush and his Republican minions
        in Congress)

        > > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
        > >
        > > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
        > >
        > > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
        > >
        > > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a dying star named
        > > for its Japanese discoverer, Yukio Sakurai)
        > >
        > > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
        > >
        > > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
        > >
        > > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
        > >
        > > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
        > >
        > > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
        > >
        > > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
        > >
        > > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
        > > fastest known spinning pulsar)
        > >
        > > Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
        > >
        > > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
        > >
        > > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
        > > named for its emissions pattern and its lead
        > > discoverer, Scott Hyman)
        > >

        > > Eris
        > >

        > > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
        > > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
        > > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
        > > marks the crown)
        > >
        > > FX Cephei
        > >
        > > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables)
        > >
        > > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
        > >
        > > Epsilon Reticuli (has an extrasolar planet)
        > >

        > > Ceres
        > >

        > > Almach (Gamma Andromedae)
        > >
        > > *Anfal (51 Andromedae)
        >
        > Arabic = spoils
        >

        > > *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > "wax" (shiny, slick)?
        >

        > > Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae)

        concerns about punishment of juvenile criminals?

        > > *Black Hole Binary (3C 75 Ceti; a pair of colliding
        > > black holes in the galaxy cluster Abell 400)
        >

        > ?
        >

        > > Zibal (Zeta Eridani)

        Arabic = ostriches

        (about climate change?)

        > > *Comet Planetary (NGC 1350 Fornacis)
        >

        > some kind of change, not really foreseeable?
        >

        > > *Deltotron (Beta Trianguli)
        >

        > bringing change? (delta)
        >

        > > Pallas
        > >

        > > Kae Uh (Omicron Aquarii)

        Chinese = the roof

        > > *FO Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

        scoffing at empty allegations and scare tactics

        > > HD 210277 (Aquarii; has an extrasolar planet; in
        > > Aquarius' chest)
        > >
        > > Helix Nebula (NGC 7293 Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Nova Cygni 1920 (V476 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
        > >
        > > Shay Show (Epsilon Hydri)
        > >
        > > Enif (Epsilon Pegasi)
        > >
        > > Tien Kang (Delta Piscis Austrini)
        > >
        > > NGC 7052 (Vulpeculae; an edge-on galaxy with a
        > > suspected black hole)
        > >

        > > Juno
        > >

        > > *Ke Kwan (Kappa Centauri)

        Chinese = the cavalry officer

        (riding to the rescue?)

        > > *Xiphias (Pi-2 Doradus; at the tip of the nose of
        > > Dorado the Mahimahi, once known as Xiphias the
        > > Swordfish)

        > > *Arrakis (Mu Draconis)

        Arabic = dancer

        > > *Marsik (Kappa Herculis)
        > >
        > > *Zubenalhakrabi (Gamma Librae)
        > >
        > > *Ke Kouan Lupi (Beta Lupi)

        Chinese/Latin = the cavalry officer of the wolf

        > > *Bin Ridwan's Star (SN 1006 Lupi; aka Supernova 1006.
        > > Ali bin Ridwan was an Egyptian astronomer who
        > > described the supernova)

        I'll have to go back and look at this

        > > *Meih Fung (Delta Muscae)

        Chinese = the bee (?)

        http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Musca.htm

        > > *Etched Hourglass Nebula (Mayall-Cannon 18 Muscae)
        > >
        > > (I've been listing this as MyCn 18. MyCn =
        > > Mayall-Cannon; it's from a catalog originally intended
        > > as an extended Henry Draper [HD] Catalogue compiled by
        > > Margaret Mayall and Annie Jump Cannon)

        time running out

        > > *Leiolepidotus (Mu Serpentis)
        >

        > Latin = smooth-scaled

        slick?

        > > Vesta
        > >

        > > *Al Thalamain II (Lambda Aquilae)
        >

        > ostrich-like behavior
        >

        > > *Nova Aquilae 1905 (V604 Aquilae; cataclysmic
        > > variable)

        let me find out where this is

        > > *Phantom Streak (NGC 6741 Aquilae)

        fugitives (there's something going on in Britain about a man who may
        have faked amnesia and disappeared)

        > > *Nova Hassel (V446 Herculis; discovered by Norwegian
        > > astronomer Olaf Hassel, who was hearing-impaired)

        not hearing, not caring, disabled?

        > > *Delta Pavonis (nearby sunlike star)

        I'll have to look this up

        > > *Rukbat (Alpha Sagittarii)

        steadiness

        > > *Albaldah (Pi Sagittarii)

        Arabic = the city

        (having to do with cities?)

        > > Chiron
        > >

        > > Albali (Epsilon Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a variable galaxy)
        > >
        > > Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)
        > >
        > > Chi Cygni (variable star)
        > >
        > > Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni)
        > >
        > > Foo Pih (Gamma Hydri)
        > >
        > > Shay Fuh (Nu Hydri)
        > >
        > > *Lucida Globi (Epsilon Microscopii; the brightest star
        > > in the obsolete constellation Globus Aerostaticus [the
        > > Hot Air Balloon])
        >

        > blowing out hot air (campaigns)
        >

        > > 47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a bright highly resolved
        > > globular cluster mistaken for a star and given a
        > > Flamsteed number; it even has a Bayer designation--Xi
        > > Tucanae)
        > >

        > > North Node
        > >

        > > Ancha (Theta Aquarii)
        > >
        > > Kae Uh (Omicron Aquarii)
        > >
        > > *HD 210277 (Aquarii; has an extrasolar planet; in
        > > Aquarius' chest)
        > >
        > > Nova Cygni 1920 (V476 Cygni; cataclysmic variable)
        > >
        > > Tien Kang (Delta Piscis Austrini)
        > >
        > > Lacaille 9352 (Piscis Austrini; a nearby star)
        > >
        > > NGC 7052 (Vulpeculae; an edge-on galaxy with a
        > > suspected black hole)
        > >

        > > South Node
        > >

        > > Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; marks the forepaw of the obsolete
        > > constellation Felis the Cat, between Hydra and Antlia)

        trying to use somebody or something as a cat's paw?