Yahoo! News Story - Planet Formation is Child's Play - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Planet Formation is Child's Play - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071129/sc_space/planetformationischildsplay

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007

        > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
        > Personal message:
        >

        > Planet Formation is Child's Play - Yahoo! News

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071129/sc_space/planetformationischildsplay

        UX Tauri

        http://astro.corlan.net/obs/3065/UX-TAU/1.html

        RA 4h30m03.9s
        declination +18°13'53"

        south of Epsilon and west of Delta-3 Tauri around the Hyades

        9 Gemini 29

        Lick Ca Survey (LkCa) 15 (Tauri)

        http://www.circumstellardisks.org/cgi-bin/objpage2.pl?ID=LkCa%2015

        RA 4h39m17.8s
        declination +22°21'04"

        near Tau Tauri

        12 Gemini 13

        Story reposted below.

        Mark A. Holmes

        Begin story.

        Planet Formation is Child's Play

        Dave Mosher
        Staff Writer
        SPACE.com Thu Nov 29, 5:00 PM ET

        Astronomers think they have found the two youngest solar systems ever
        detected, where infant planets could be sweeping up dust and creating
        voids in protoplanetary disks 450 light-years from Earth.

        NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope observed the ring-like gaps, which
        could signal the earliest signs of rocky planet formation around two
        young stars located in the constellation Taurus—UX Tau A and LkCa 15.
        Both stars are about 1 million years old, which is 10 times younger
        than other known planet-forming systems.

        "Previously, astronomers were seeing holes at the centers of
        protoplanetary disks," said Catherine Espaillat, an astronomer at the
        University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Such holes are typically thought
        to be caused by photoevaporation, or stars burning dust away into
        light energy.

        But instead of central holes, Espaillat's team saw ring-like gaps in
        the spinning planetary materials.

        "It's more like a lane has been cleared within the disk. The existence
        of planets is the most probable theory that can explain this
        structure," she said, as the lanes are likely too distant from the
        star to photoevaporate.

        The idea is similar to touching a dusty record as it rotates, clearing
        a ring in the mat of particles; planets, however, use their growing
        gravity to sweep up the dust.

        The Dec. 1 issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters will detail
        Espaillat and her colleagues' findings about the infant solar systems,
        which they said could help explain our own planet's past.

        "We are looking for our history," said University of Michigan
        astronomer Nuria Calvet, who worked with Espaillat on the research.
        "We are looking for the history of solar systems, trying to understand
        how they form."

        --End story.