Re: [thefixedstars] Re: you asked for it

  • Shawhouse
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2007
      A good friend who is an NGO worker (Non-Governmental Organization)
      spent some time in Bangladesh. You are right that the population has
      suffered greatly. I don't know much about the culture other than what I
      gleaned from stories my friend told me of her own exploits. For
      instance, there was a civil war that resulted in many women being
      raped. These women were then driven from their homes as unclean, with
      no way to support themselves. My friend's project was figuring out a
      way for the vast numbers of outcast women and their children to
      survive. The women of Bangladesh traditionally did not have either
      schooling or financial education. So, her project taught them to
      count money, ride scooters and market crafts. These small endeavors
      were greeted by hostility and my friend had to live in a guarded
      compound for her own safety. However, after a couple of years it became
      apparent that these women were generating capital. From a Western
      feminist perspective, one might have hoped that they would develop their
      own mechanisms to survive and thrive. But, Bangladesh has another
      culture, and instead the women became valuable money generating
      property, and as a result received marriage proposals. So, all ended
      well in the minds of the parties to the drama. But, the concept of
      forgiveness, albeit a little tweaked, shines brightly in the story.
      Diana S.