Fixed star alignments (November 11, 2007)

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
      week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      *Rasalhague (Alpha Ophiuchi)

      *Imad (Theta Ophiuchi)

      Wajrik (Xi Ophiuchi)

      *Cheerio Nebula (NGC 6337 Scorpii)

      *Cotton Candy Nebula (CRL 6815 Scorpii)

      Atria (Alpha Trianguli Australe)

      Saturn

      Thuban (Alpha Draconis)

      Shir (Rho Leonis)

      *NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)

      SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Spindle Galaxy of Sextans (NGC 3115 Sextantis)

      Alula Borealis (Nu Ursae Majoris)

      Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris)

      CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)

      Uranus

      Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)

      Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Humason 1-2 Cygni)

      The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni; a small
      asterism north of Deneb)

      Achernar (Alpha Eridani)

      RU Horologii (cataclysmic variable)

      Jih (Kappa Pegasi)

      Ankaa (Alpha Phoenicis)

      Neptune

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
      asterism in Cygnus)

      Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

      Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      IL Vulpeculae

      QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      Pluto

      Mu Arae (star with exoplanets)

      Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

      Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)

      RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)

      *Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a dying star
      named for its Japanese discoverer, Yukio Sakurai)

      Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)

      Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

      Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)

      Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

      Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

      Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
      fastest known spinning pulsar)

      Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)

      Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)

      Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

      Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
      named for its emissions pattern and its lead
      discoverer, Scott Hyman)

      Eris

      Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
      Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
      quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
      marks the crown)

      FX Cephei

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables

      Revati (Zeta Piscium)

      Ceres

      *Apis (33 Arietis; marks the head of the obsolete
      constellation Apis [the Bee] aka Musca Borealis [the
      Northern Fly], Vespa [the Wasp], and Lilium [the
      Lily])

      *Lilium (35 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
      Lilium, aka Apis, Musca Borealis and Vespa)

      *ET Cluster (NGC 457 Cassiopeiae; an open cluster
      around Psi Cassiopeiae)

      *Lucida Horologii (Alpha Horologii; the brightest star
      in Horologium [the Clock])

      Pallas

      Helix Nebula (NGC 7293 Aquarii)

      *Shay Show (Epsilon Hydri)

      Juno

      *Marfikent (Eta Centauri)

      *Polyglottis (Iota-1 Librae; marks the head of the
      obsolete constellation of the Mockingbird, aka
      Solitarius [the Solitaire], Turdus Solitarius [the
      Solitary Thrush], and Noctua [the Night-Owl]. The
      scientific name of the mockingbird is *Mimus
      polyglottis.*)

      *Brachium (Sigma Librae)

      *Gliese 581 (Librae)

      *Myia (Alpha Muscae)

      *Diptera (Beta Muscae)

      *Chow (Beta Serpentis; in Serpens Caput)

      Vesta

      *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

      *Nanto (Phi Sagittarii)

      *Delta Scuti (the prototype of the Delta Scuti class
      of variable stars)

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Scuti

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Scuti_variable

      Chiron

      Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a variable galaxy)

      Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)

      Chi Cygni (variable star)

      Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni)

      Struve 2398 (Draconis; nearby star)

      Foo Pih (Gamma Hydri)

      Shay Fuh (Nu Hydri)

      Epsilon Indi (nearby star)

      Lucida Tucanae (Alpha Tucanae, the brightest star, or
      lucida, in Tucana the Toucan)

      47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a bright highly resolved
      globular cluster mistaken for a star and given a
      Flamsteed number; it even has a Bayer designation--Xi
      Tucanae)

      North Node

      Sadalmelek (Alpha Aquarii)

      *Ancha (Theta Aquarii)

      Luyten 789-6 (Aquarii; a nearby star)

      *FO Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      Egg Nebula (CRL 2688 Cygni)

      Seagull Nebula (NGC 2032 Doradus)

      KL Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

      Fomalhaut (Alpha Piscis Austrini)

      South Node

      *Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; marks the forepaw of the
      obsolete constellation Felis the Cat, between Hydra
      and Antlia)

      *El Kophrah (Chi Ursae Majoris)

      BC Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)

      Miniature Spiral (NGC 3928 Ursae Majoris)

      *Vela Pulsar (PSR B0833-45 Velorum, a supernova
      remnant)

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a
        > week ago today (with a 1 00' orb).

        > South Node
        >

        > *Vela Pulsar (PSR B0833-45 Velorum, a supernova
        > remnant)

        http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/other/pulsarsound/

        Mark A. Holmes
      • Oparhi
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
          Thanks Mark for the alignments..really useful.

          Outi

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
            --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Oparhi" <scoppias@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Mark for the alignments..really useful.
            >
            > Outi

            You're welcome.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 16, 2007
              well possibly Saturn with Thuben and Eris with Cephei? Adn is
              Neptune still down with the Dolphins, I think he is isnt' he,
              possibly a culmination of things,

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 16, 2007

                > well possibly Saturn with Thuben and Eris with Cephei? Adn is
                > Neptune still down with the Dolphins, I think he is isnt' he,

                Yeah, I think starting to move away.

                > possibly a culmination of things,

                South Node is aligned with something in Vela, too (that's part of Argo).

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 17, 2007

                  http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/RasAlhague.html

                  >--> *Imad (Theta Ophiuchi)

                  Arabic = support, pillar

                  > --> Wajrik (Xi Ophiuchi)

                  Arabic = magician

                  (Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue praying for rain on the steps of the state
                  Capitol in Atlanta?

                  Or maybe [Wajrik only] David Copperfield's legal [Jupiter] problems?)

                  > *Cheerio Nebula (NGC 6337 Scorpii)

                  issues about being welcoming

                  (the Polish immigrant Tasered to death by Canadian police? the
                  immigration issue here in the US)

                  > *Cotton Candy Nebula (CRL 6815 Scorpii)

                  fluff of some kind?

                  > Atria (Alpha Trianguli Australe)

                  demonization of a person

                  (OJ Simpson? maybe Barry Bonds? They're both in court)

                  http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Achernar.html

                  http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Etamin.html

                  > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
                  >
                  > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
                  >
                  > *Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii; a dying star
                  > named for its Japanese discoverer, Yukio Sakurai)

                  something that just won't give up and die (the Iraq War?)

                  > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
                  > fastest known spinning pulsar)
                  >
                  > Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
                  >
                  > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
                  >
                  > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
                  >
                  > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
                  > named for its emissions pattern and its lead
                  > discoverer, Scott Hyman)
                  >

                  > Eris
                  >

                  > Termes Frederici (Psi Andromedae; one of the stars in
                  > Frederici Honores, the Honors of Frederick [a crown,
                  > quill pen, sword and olive branch]: Psi Andromedae
                  > marks the crown)
                  >
                  > FX Cephei
                  >
                  > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variables
                  >
                  > Revati (Zeta Piscium)
                  >

                  > Ceres
                  >

                  > *Apis (33 Arietis; marks the head of the obsolete
                  > constellation Apis [the Bee] aka Musca Borealis [the
                  > Northern Fly], Vespa [the Wasp], and Lilium [the
                  > Lily])

                  busy as a bee?

                  > *Lilium (35 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation
                  > Lilium, aka Apis, Musca Borealis and Vespa)

                  lily-white? (racial segregation issues?)

                  > *ET Cluster (NGC 457 Cassiopeiae; an open cluster
                  > around Psi Cassiopeiae)

                  aliens? (the kind that come across borders)

                  > *Lucida Horologii (Alpha Horologii; the brightest star
                  > in Horologium [the Clock])

                  having to do with time?

                  > Pallas
                  >

                  > Helix Nebula (NGC 7293 Aquarii)
                  >
                  > *Shay Show (Epsilon Hydri)

                  Chinese = the snake's head

                  > Juno
                  >

                  > *Marfikent (Eta Centauri)

                  Arabic = the centaur's elbow

                  > *Polyglottis (Iota-1 Librae; marks the head of the
                  > obsolete constellation of the Mockingbird, aka
                  > Solitarius [the Solitaire], Turdus Solitarius [the
                  > Solitary Thrush], and Noctua [the Night-Owl]. The
                  > scientific name of the mockingbird is *Mimus
                  > polyglottis.*)

                  "it's a sin to kill a..." (?)

                  > *Brachium (Sigma Librae)

                  Latin = arm

                  > *Gliese 581 (Librae)
                  >
                  > *Myia (Alpha Muscae)

                  Greek for "fly"

                  > *Diptera (Beta Muscae)

                  Greek for "two-winged"

                  > *Chow (Beta Serpentis; in Serpens Caput)
                  >

                  > Vesta
                  >

                  > *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)
                  >
                  > *Nanto (Phi Sagittarii)
                  >
                  > *Delta Scuti (the prototype of the Delta Scuti class
                  > of variable stars)
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Scuti
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Scuti_variable
                  >

                  > Chiron
                  >

                  > Markarian 409 (Aquarii; a variable galaxy)
                  >
                  > Tso Ke (Rho Aquilae)
                  >
                  > Chi Cygni (variable star)
                  >
                  > Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni)
                  >
                  > Struve 2398 (Draconis; nearby star)
                  >
                  > Foo Pih (Gamma Hydri)
                  >
                  > Shay Fuh (Nu Hydri)
                  >
                  > Epsilon Indi (nearby star)
                  >
                  > Lucida Tucanae (Alpha Tucanae, the brightest star, or
                  > lucida, in Tucana the Toucan)
                  >
                  > 47 Tucanae (NGC 104 Tucanae, a bright highly resolved
                  > globular cluster mistaken for a star and given a
                  > Flamsteed number; it even has a Bayer designation--Xi
                  > Tucanae)
                  >

                  > North Node
                  >

                  > Sadalmelek (Alpha Aquarii)
                  >
                  > *Ancha (Theta Aquarii)

                  Arabic = hipbone

                  > Luyten 789-6 (Aquarii; a nearby star)
                  >
                  > *FO Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

                  "faux", "faugh" (?)

                  > Egg Nebula (CRL 2688 Cygni)
                  >
                  > Seagull Nebula (NGC 2032 Doradus)
                  >
                  > KL Draconis (cataclysmic variable)
                  >
                  > Fomalhaut (Alpha Piscis Austrini)
                  >

                  > South Node
                  >

                  > *Cat's Paw (G Hydrae; marks the forepaw of the
                  > obsolete constellation Felis the Cat, between Hydra
                  > and Antlia)

                  being used by somebody?

                  > *El Kophrah (Chi Ursae Majoris)

                  Arabic = the protected, the covered; or, Hebrew = the redeemed, the
                  ransomed

                  > BC Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)

                  having to do with fossils, or prehistoric humans (or attitudes?)

                  (like in Saudi Arabia, where that gang-rape victim has been sentenced
                  to be flogged?)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 23, 2007

                    > As of midnight GMT.

                    > Juno
                    >

                    > *Chow (Beta Serpentis; in Serpens Caput)

                    Chinese = refers to the Chow or Zhao dynasty (Zhao can mean "time,"
                    "state," "government," "islets in a stream")

                    > Vesta
                    >

                    > *Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

                    Arabic = the talons

                    > *Nanto (Phi Sagittarii)