Yahoo! News Story - Sun's Wayward Twin Discovered - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2007
      Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Sun's Wayward Twin Discovered - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071109/sc_space/sunswaywardtwindiscovered

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2007

        > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
        > Personal message:
        >

        > Sun's Wayward Twin Discovered - Yahoo! News

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071109/sc_space/sunswaywardtwindiscovered

        BLGD.

        Mark A. Holmes

        Begin story.--

        Sun's Wayward Twin Discovered

        Dave Mosher
        Staff Writer
        SPACE.com Fri Nov 9, 3:00 PM ET

        Somewhere out there, astronomers knew the sun had another long-lost
        relative aimlessly drifting through the Milky Way. Now they've found it.

        Although a happy reunion is unlikely, as the star HIP 56948 is about
        200 light-years away, it is now considered to be the best "solar twin"
        out of four known candidates.

        The wayward star challenges the idea that our backyard star has a
        unique composition, as it has a similarly low quantity of the element
        lithium--a lightweight byproduct of the fusion reactions that power stars.

        Astronomers Jorge Melendez of the Australian National University and
        Ivan Ramirez of the University of Texas at Austin discovered the new
        star with a telescope at the McDonald Observatory in Texas. The
        mid-sized star is one of many in the Draco the dragon constellation
        and may be a billion years older than the sun, which is middle-aged at
        4.6 billion years.

        Three other solar twins were previously proposed: 18 Scorpius, HD
        98618 and HIP 100963. While similar to the sun in many ways,
        spectrographic analysis revealed that their lithium contents are
        dramatically higher.

        Because of those observations, astronomers wondered if the sun's low
        amount of lithium was unique. The newfound twin now shows that it isn't.

        Searches for solar twins are important, the astronomers said, because
        the sun is used as a baseline for many other types of studies. But our
        own solar power plant is too close and too bright to study like
        distant stars.

        The solar twins discovered at McDonald should help astronomers study
        the chemical compositions of stars and back theoretical models of our
        sun's stellar insides and evolution with real observations.

        --End story.
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2007
          HIP 56948 (Draconis)

          In Draco, near Giansar (Lambda Draconis) in the Dragon's head.

          11h 40m 28.483s
          +69°00'30.605" (epoch 2000)

          12 Leo 36.