Re: Algol, horaries, electionals

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2005
      Not all gloom and doom!
      Here is some good stuff on Capulus and Algol....
      we all have a bit of Capulus and Algol in us..

      "....What seems to have been missed by the old school is that Capulus
      and Algol (Capulus; evil star in the hand of Perseus that holds the
      sword and Algol; the Demon's Head that Perseus is carrying) each have
      a very positive side to them. That sword did remove a monstrosity from
      our world and the monstrosity's head did in turn, rescue Andromeda,
      and by the same token, all of us from yet another great monster of
      evil. We all too easily look back and within ourselves only to be
      halted at our traumas and 'nasty bits' and failing to penetrate
      further to the glory beyond them. Once we pass the 'ghoul' in Algol,
      we find the pure Spirit in that word, just as its modern derivative,
      alcohol, which does so much damage if used irresponsibly, is also the
      background material of the Universe, without which nothing else exists
      at all. (Dr. Eric Morse The Living Stars Amethyst Books 1988,
      Starnames R H Allen)

      1sep.gif (2919 bytes)

      Pegasus is gained from the blood of the Medusa (which represents the
      savage aspect of elemental nature which Perseus had just mastered) and
      symbolizes the resultant gaining of intellectual power and
      inspiration. From her blood sprang Pegasus, which became his mount....."

      ....In The Shield of Herakles by Hesiod, we are given a glimpse of
      Perseus' reckless escape from the remaining angry sisters after he had
      beheaded Medusa. "He was wearing winged sandals and the Helm of Hades
      but the Gorgons were at his heels, the serpents on their heads and at
      their waists and were snapping at Perseus as he sped away". (Sword 220).
      Never before had Hermes's sandals been put to better use. Over oceans
      and continents they bore Perseus until the dreadful sisters were
      outdistanced.

      Meanwhile, after Perseus left with her head Athena took charge of
      what was left of Medusa's body. She flayed off Medusa's skin and made
      it into her trademark Aegis. She took two drops of the blood to King
      Erichthonius (her lame adopted sun, see Auriga) explaining that one
      would cure disease and the other was a deadly poison. Athene carried
      the aegis of Zeus at Troy. The gigantic head of Gorgon, a thing of
      fear and horror, was the centerpiece of a series of warcraft icons;
      Terror, Hatred and Onslaught. (The Iliad 5.741).

      Even as he flew, drops of Medusa's blood seeped through the wallet and
      fell on the water below and from those drops of her blood sprang
      Pegasus and Chrysoar.
      Little is known of Chrysaor other than that he was considered a
      stouthearted warrior. His name meant Golden Sword. He fathered Geryon,
      of Erythia (somewhere beyond present day Spain), a giant with three
      bodies and three heads, whose choice oxen were driven away by Heracles
      - 10th labor.
      Westward over the Sahara in Africa Perseus flew, bearing his terrible
      cargo. At each drop of blood that fell from the Medusa's head, began
      an oasis on that spot in the desert....

      ....Even while they spoke the waters turned darker blue, then to murky
      blackness as the monster itself rose through the deeps from the
      seabed, fathoms below. Great blood-red barnacles ringed with black
      glistened along the enormous length. Its jaws gaped wide and its
      granite like teeth flashed as it reared its head towards Andromeda.
      Perseus flung himself between the girl and the monster and when the
      monster felt a sharp pain in his back. He turned and found Perseus
      flying with winged sandals and attacking him. The monster grew
      stronger as they fought. Then Perseus remembered that he was carrying
      Medusa's (Algol) head. Quickly turning his own head aside, he dropped
      his sword and took out the creepy object from its wallet and thrust it
      before the eyes of the deadly creature from the sea. The sea monster
      stared at it and turned immediately into stone. When the fearful head
      had been safely returned to the protection of the wallet, with four
      quick, powerful blows by the sickle of Cronus he severed the chains
      which bound the girl.....
      The myth of Perseus illustrates the complexity of the father-son and
      son-father relationship present in all men. Perseus had no human
      father. He was directly descended from Zeus (metamorphosed into a
      shower of gold) and Danae. Danae's father, Acrisius, however, had been
      told by an oracle that he would be killed by his grandson and, in his
      fear, set Danae adrift on the sea in a wooden chest with her baby.
      They reached an island, where Perseus grew up and became famous for
      his great deeds. It is pointless in this context to explain the myth
      in elaborate detail, it suffices to observe that, as Paul Diel
      explains, it symbolizes the simultaneous existence in each individual
      of two images of the father - the first of an overbearing and hostile
      person, the second of a man of sublime and generous nature, the first
      being no more than a perverted image of the second. The negative
      aspect might be regarded as that of the old Adam', responsible for
      Original Sin and for all the ills and weaknesses and painful duties
      which are consequent upon it and. on top of all this, swollen with
      self-conceit. The positive aspect is that of the father as symbol of
      the spirit which enlightens and of the strength which creates, shares
      and comforts. Which of these two fathers was he to kill? That is to
      say, which was he to choose? The myth is as it were a symbol of choice.

      Perseus was, however, also the conqueror of Medusa, Queen of the
      Gorgons, thanks to Pegasus, the winged horse which had enabled
      Bellerophon to overcome the Chimera. If Medusa stands for an
      exaggerated image of guilt, cutting off her head is decisively to
      master exaggerated, paralyzing and morbid feelings of guilt and to
      gain the strength to see oneself undistorted by belittlement or
      self-aggrandizement. This is clear-sightedness without the distorting
      mirror reflecting the morbid world of sin. In this respect also,
      Perseus symbolizes a choice between standing as if turned to stone
      before the image of sin distorted by the seductions of self conceit,
      or cutting off the head of that image by overcoming self-conceit
      through the exercise of a balanced judgement and with the sharp sword
      of the truth (DIES pp.90-105). As a reward for Overcoming self-conceit
      and the monsters of his own creation, Perseus at Zeus' command became
      one of the heavenly constellations. He symbolizes the realization of
      an ideal at the cost of hard struggle and courageous and careful
      choice. ["The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols", 1969, Jean Chevalier and
      Alain Gheerbrant" translated by John Buchanan-Brown, Penguin books]."

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Perseus.html

      Heather