Re: [thefixedstars] Re: Algol, horaries, electionals

    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 7:57 PM
      Interesting.

      Mark A. Holmes

      --- Heather <HeatherCam@...> wrote:
      > Is there anything good about Algol, apart from
      > feminine power?
      > And what defines feminine power? perhaps being able
      > look at the multitude or multifarious nature of
      > things, and draw all
      > the little bits into a substantial whole. All those
      > snakes for hair
      > has got to mean on some level, wise thinking, and
      > thinking that is
      > able to shed its skin and see life renewed.
      >
      > I am curious as have my North Node aligned with
      > Algol.
      > I know when I head off in my direction, my pathway,
      > some people get
      > really upset, and try to stop me. Often an ensuing
      > struggle happens,
      > and I reach for the ruling planet Venus, up the
      > close/on the 11th
      > house cusp, and get on a political bandwagon about
      > the state of the
      > world. It is almost like life crunches me in, and I
      > come out doing a
      > verbal about the woeful political, or gender, or
      > agist or racist
      > situation, or anything else that is applicable to my
      > mind set at the
      > time. And it feels wonderful because instead of
      > being pulverized by
      > some icky authoritarian monster, I get the
      > opportunity to spread some
      > good honest words about the state of the world.
      > Imagination comes into it a lot, having Venus conj.
      > Neptune; mercury
      > is in same sign Libra....and humour, Jupiter is on
      > my SN.
      >
      > Heather

    • Heather
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 10:34 PM
        Not all gloom and doom!
        Here is some good stuff on Capulus and Algol....
        we all have a bit of Capulus and Algol in us..

        "....What seems to have been missed by the old school is that Capulus
        and Algol (Capulus; evil star in the hand of Perseus that holds the
        sword and Algol; the Demon's Head that Perseus is carrying) each have
        a very positive side to them. That sword did remove a monstrosity from
        our world and the monstrosity's head did in turn, rescue Andromeda,
        and by the same token, all of us from yet another great monster of
        evil. We all too easily look back and within ourselves only to be
        halted at our traumas and 'nasty bits' and failing to penetrate
        further to the glory beyond them. Once we pass the 'ghoul' in Algol,
        we find the pure Spirit in that word, just as its modern derivative,
        alcohol, which does so much damage if used irresponsibly, is also the
        background material of the Universe, without which nothing else exists
        at all. (Dr. Eric Morse The Living Stars Amethyst Books 1988,
        Starnames R H Allen)

        1sep.gif (2919 bytes)

        Pegasus is gained from the blood of the Medusa (which represents the
        savage aspect of elemental nature which Perseus had just mastered) and
        symbolizes the resultant gaining of intellectual power and
        inspiration. From her blood sprang Pegasus, which became his mount....."

        ....In The Shield of Herakles by Hesiod, we are given a glimpse of
        Perseus' reckless escape from the remaining angry sisters after he had
        beheaded Medusa. "He was wearing winged sandals and the Helm of Hades
        but the Gorgons were at his heels, the serpents on their heads and at
        their waists and were snapping at Perseus as he sped away". (Sword 220).
        Never before had Hermes's sandals been put to better use. Over oceans
        and continents they bore Perseus until the dreadful sisters were
        outdistanced.

        Meanwhile, after Perseus left with her head Athena took charge of
        what was left of Medusa's body. She flayed off Medusa's skin and made
        it into her trademark Aegis. She took two drops of the blood to King
        Erichthonius (her lame adopted sun, see Auriga) explaining that one
        would cure disease and the other was a deadly poison. Athene carried
        the aegis of Zeus at Troy. The gigantic head of Gorgon, a thing of
        fear and horror, was the centerpiece of a series of warcraft icons;
        Terror, Hatred and Onslaught. (The Iliad 5.741).

        Even as he flew, drops of Medusa's blood seeped through the wallet and
        fell on the water below and from those drops of her blood sprang
        Pegasus and Chrysoar.
        Little is known of Chrysaor other than that he was considered a
        stouthearted warrior. His name meant Golden Sword. He fathered Geryon,
        of Erythia (somewhere beyond present day Spain), a giant with three
        bodies and three heads, whose choice oxen were driven away by Heracles
        - 10th labor.
        Westward over the Sahara in Africa Perseus flew, bearing his terrible
        cargo. At each drop of blood that fell from the Medusa's head, began
        an oasis on that spot in the desert....

        ....Even while they spoke the waters turned darker blue, then to murky
        blackness as the monster itself rose through the deeps from the
        seabed, fathoms below. Great blood-red barnacles ringed with black
        glistened along the enormous length. Its jaws gaped wide and its
        granite like teeth flashed as it reared its head towards Andromeda.
        Perseus flung himself between the girl and the monster and when the
        monster felt a sharp pain in his back. He turned and found Perseus
        flying with winged sandals and attacking him. The monster grew
        stronger as they fought. Then Perseus remembered that he was carrying
        Medusa's (Algol) head. Quickly turning his own head aside, he dropped
        his sword and took out the creepy object from its wallet and thrust it
        before the eyes of the deadly creature from the sea. The sea monster
        stared at it and turned immediately into stone. When the fearful head
        had been safely returned to the protection of the wallet, with four
        quick, powerful blows by the sickle of Cronus he severed the chains
        which bound the girl.....
        The myth of Perseus illustrates the complexity of the father-son and
        son-father relationship present in all men. Perseus had no human
        father. He was directly descended from Zeus (metamorphosed into a
        shower of gold) and Danae. Danae's father, Acrisius, however, had been
        told by an oracle that he would be killed by his grandson and, in his
        fear, set Danae adrift on the sea in a wooden chest with her baby.
        They reached an island, where Perseus grew up and became famous for
        his great deeds. It is pointless in this context to explain the myth
        in elaborate detail, it suffices to observe that, as Paul Diel
        explains, it symbolizes the simultaneous existence in each individual
        of two images of the father - the first of an overbearing and hostile
        person, the second of a man of sublime and generous nature, the first
        being no more than a perverted image of the second. The negative
        aspect might be regarded as that of the old Adam', responsible for
        Original Sin and for all the ills and weaknesses and painful duties
        which are consequent upon it and. on top of all this, swollen with
        self-conceit. The positive aspect is that of the father as symbol of
        the spirit which enlightens and of the strength which creates, shares
        and comforts. Which of these two fathers was he to kill? That is to
        say, which was he to choose? The myth is as it were a symbol of choice.

        Perseus was, however, also the conqueror of Medusa, Queen of the
        Gorgons, thanks to Pegasus, the winged horse which had enabled
        Bellerophon to overcome the Chimera. If Medusa stands for an
        exaggerated image of guilt, cutting off her head is decisively to
        master exaggerated, paralyzing and morbid feelings of guilt and to
        gain the strength to see oneself undistorted by belittlement or
        self-aggrandizement. This is clear-sightedness without the distorting
        mirror reflecting the morbid world of sin. In this respect also,
        Perseus symbolizes a choice between standing as if turned to stone
        before the image of sin distorted by the seductions of self conceit,
        or cutting off the head of that image by overcoming self-conceit
        through the exercise of a balanced judgement and with the sharp sword
        of the truth (DIES pp.90-105). As a reward for Overcoming self-conceit
        and the monsters of his own creation, Perseus at Zeus' command became
        one of the heavenly constellations. He symbolizes the realization of
        an ideal at the cost of hard struggle and courageous and careful
        choice. ["The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols", 1969, Jean Chevalier and
        Alain Gheerbrant" translated by John Buchanan-Brown, Penguin books]."

        http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Perseus.html

        Heather