Re: Algol, horaries, electionals

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2005
      Is there anything good about Algol, apart from feminine power?
      And what defines feminine power? perhaps being able to
      look at the multitude or multifarious nature of things, and draw all
      the little bits into a substantial whole. All those snakes for hair
      has got to mean on some level, wise thinking, and thinking that is
      able to shed its skin and see life renewed.

      I am curious as have my North Node aligned with Algol.
      I know when I head off in my direction, my pathway, some people get
      really upset, and try to stop me. Often an ensuing struggle happens,
      and I reach for the ruling planet Venus, up the close/on the 11th
      house cusp, and get on a political bandwagon about the state of the
      world. It is almost like life crunches me in, and I come out doing a
      verbal about the woeful political, or gender, or agist or racist
      situation, or anything else that is applicable to my mind set at the
      time. And it feels wonderful because instead of being pulverized by
      some icky authoritarian monster, I get the opportunity to spread some
      good honest words about the state of the world.
      Imagination comes into it a lot, having Venus conj. Neptune; mercury
      is in same sign Libra....and humour, Jupiter is on my SN.

      Heather

      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2005
        Interesting.

        Mark A. Holmes

        --- Heather <HeatherCam@...> wrote:
        > Is there anything good about Algol, apart from
        > feminine power?
        > And what defines feminine power? perhaps being able
        > look at the multitude or multifarious nature of
        > things, and draw all
        > the little bits into a substantial whole. All those
        > snakes for hair
        > has got to mean on some level, wise thinking, and
        > thinking that is
        > able to shed its skin and see life renewed.
        >
        > I am curious as have my North Node aligned with
        > Algol.
        > I know when I head off in my direction, my pathway,
        > some people get
        > really upset, and try to stop me. Often an ensuing
        > struggle happens,
        > and I reach for the ruling planet Venus, up the
        > close/on the 11th
        > house cusp, and get on a political bandwagon about
        > the state of the
        > world. It is almost like life crunches me in, and I
        > come out doing a
        > verbal about the woeful political, or gender, or
        > agist or racist
        > situation, or anything else that is applicable to my
        > mind set at the
        > time. And it feels wonderful because instead of
        > being pulverized by
        > some icky authoritarian monster, I get the
        > opportunity to spread some
        > good honest words about the state of the world.
        > Imagination comes into it a lot, having Venus conj.
        > Neptune; mercury
        > is in same sign Libra....and humour, Jupiter is on
        > my SN.
        >
        > Heather

      • Heather
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2005
          Not all gloom and doom!
          Here is some good stuff on Capulus and Algol....
          we all have a bit of Capulus and Algol in us..

          "....What seems to have been missed by the old school is that Capulus
          and Algol (Capulus; evil star in the hand of Perseus that holds the
          sword and Algol; the Demon's Head that Perseus is carrying) each have
          a very positive side to them. That sword did remove a monstrosity from
          our world and the monstrosity's head did in turn, rescue Andromeda,
          and by the same token, all of us from yet another great monster of
          evil. We all too easily look back and within ourselves only to be
          halted at our traumas and 'nasty bits' and failing to penetrate
          further to the glory beyond them. Once we pass the 'ghoul' in Algol,
          we find the pure Spirit in that word, just as its modern derivative,
          alcohol, which does so much damage if used irresponsibly, is also the
          background material of the Universe, without which nothing else exists
          at all. (Dr. Eric Morse The Living Stars Amethyst Books 1988,
          Starnames R H Allen)

          1sep.gif (2919 bytes)

          Pegasus is gained from the blood of the Medusa (which represents the
          savage aspect of elemental nature which Perseus had just mastered) and
          symbolizes the resultant gaining of intellectual power and
          inspiration. From her blood sprang Pegasus, which became his mount....."

          ....In The Shield of Herakles by Hesiod, we are given a glimpse of
          Perseus' reckless escape from the remaining angry sisters after he had
          beheaded Medusa. "He was wearing winged sandals and the Helm of Hades
          but the Gorgons were at his heels, the serpents on their heads and at
          their waists and were snapping at Perseus as he sped away". (Sword 220).
          Never before had Hermes's sandals been put to better use. Over oceans
          and continents they bore Perseus until the dreadful sisters were
          outdistanced.

          Meanwhile, after Perseus left with her head Athena took charge of
          what was left of Medusa's body. She flayed off Medusa's skin and made
          it into her trademark Aegis. She took two drops of the blood to King
          Erichthonius (her lame adopted sun, see Auriga) explaining that one
          would cure disease and the other was a deadly poison. Athene carried
          the aegis of Zeus at Troy. The gigantic head of Gorgon, a thing of
          fear and horror, was the centerpiece of a series of warcraft icons;
          Terror, Hatred and Onslaught. (The Iliad 5.741).

          Even as he flew, drops of Medusa's blood seeped through the wallet and
          fell on the water below and from those drops of her blood sprang
          Pegasus and Chrysoar.
          Little is known of Chrysaor other than that he was considered a
          stouthearted warrior. His name meant Golden Sword. He fathered Geryon,
          of Erythia (somewhere beyond present day Spain), a giant with three
          bodies and three heads, whose choice oxen were driven away by Heracles
          - 10th labor.
          Westward over the Sahara in Africa Perseus flew, bearing his terrible
          cargo. At each drop of blood that fell from the Medusa's head, began
          an oasis on that spot in the desert....

          ....Even while they spoke the waters turned darker blue, then to murky
          blackness as the monster itself rose through the deeps from the
          seabed, fathoms below. Great blood-red barnacles ringed with black
          glistened along the enormous length. Its jaws gaped wide and its
          granite like teeth flashed as it reared its head towards Andromeda.
          Perseus flung himself between the girl and the monster and when the
          monster felt a sharp pain in his back. He turned and found Perseus
          flying with winged sandals and attacking him. The monster grew
          stronger as they fought. Then Perseus remembered that he was carrying
          Medusa's (Algol) head. Quickly turning his own head aside, he dropped
          his sword and took out the creepy object from its wallet and thrust it
          before the eyes of the deadly creature from the sea. The sea monster
          stared at it and turned immediately into stone. When the fearful head
          had been safely returned to the protection of the wallet, with four
          quick, powerful blows by the sickle of Cronus he severed the chains
          which bound the girl.....
          The myth of Perseus illustrates the complexity of the father-son and
          son-father relationship present in all men. Perseus had no human
          father. He was directly descended from Zeus (metamorphosed into a
          shower of gold) and Danae. Danae's father, Acrisius, however, had been
          told by an oracle that he would be killed by his grandson and, in his
          fear, set Danae adrift on the sea in a wooden chest with her baby.
          They reached an island, where Perseus grew up and became famous for
          his great deeds. It is pointless in this context to explain the myth
          in elaborate detail, it suffices to observe that, as Paul Diel
          explains, it symbolizes the simultaneous existence in each individual
          of two images of the father - the first of an overbearing and hostile
          person, the second of a man of sublime and generous nature, the first
          being no more than a perverted image of the second. The negative
          aspect might be regarded as that of the old Adam', responsible for
          Original Sin and for all the ills and weaknesses and painful duties
          which are consequent upon it and. on top of all this, swollen with
          self-conceit. The positive aspect is that of the father as symbol of
          the spirit which enlightens and of the strength which creates, shares
          and comforts. Which of these two fathers was he to kill? That is to
          say, which was he to choose? The myth is as it were a symbol of choice.

          Perseus was, however, also the conqueror of Medusa, Queen of the
          Gorgons, thanks to Pegasus, the winged horse which had enabled
          Bellerophon to overcome the Chimera. If Medusa stands for an
          exaggerated image of guilt, cutting off her head is decisively to
          master exaggerated, paralyzing and morbid feelings of guilt and to
          gain the strength to see oneself undistorted by belittlement or
          self-aggrandizement. This is clear-sightedness without the distorting
          mirror reflecting the morbid world of sin. In this respect also,
          Perseus symbolizes a choice between standing as if turned to stone
          before the image of sin distorted by the seductions of self conceit,
          or cutting off the head of that image by overcoming self-conceit
          through the exercise of a balanced judgement and with the sharp sword
          of the truth (DIES pp.90-105). As a reward for Overcoming self-conceit
          and the monsters of his own creation, Perseus at Zeus' command became
          one of the heavenly constellations. He symbolizes the realization of
          an ideal at the cost of hard struggle and courageous and careful
          choice. ["The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols", 1969, Jean Chevalier and
          Alain Gheerbrant" translated by John Buchanan-Brown, Penguin books]."

          http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Perseus.html

          Heather