Re: Parpola

  • Oparhi
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
      It seems there is a cheeper offer (120 USD) of the book:

      From link:
      http://awilum.com/?cat=64

      This summer Eisenbrauns is publishing two really great volumes that
      you will definitely want to purchase if you are interested in their
      subject matter.

      The first is a re-issue of Simo Parpola's two-volume work on the
      writings of Assyrian scholars to the kings Esarhaddon and
      Assurbanipal. Parpola's volume for the SAA series that deals with this
      same subject has been out of print for a while and furthermore, while
      the two-volume work does not include all of the texts in the SAA
      volume, the treatments are much more detailed. Also, the two-volume
      set includes great indexes that are a big help in research. So, if you
      are interested in any aspect of Assyrian scholars (this includes
      diviners as well) then you need to pick up this set (plus, they are
      also having a pre-publication special).

      The second book is Lambert's collection of Babylonian oracle questions
      that were addressed to the sun god Shamash and the storm god Adad
      (both of these deities have analogues in Canaanite pantheons as well).
      The volume includes 50 plates of hand drawings, and Lambert's copies
      are always excellent. Also, one reason why I love Eisenbrauns–you get
      all the good stuff from Lambert plus 50 pages of plates all for list
      price of $49.50. If this book were from Brill you'd have to sell your
      grandmother to pay for it.

      Outi

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
        Thanks (to both you and Beth) for telling us about
        this.

        I'll see if I can find the cash to buy it.

        Mark A. Holmes

        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2007
          Parpola

          If anyone does get any of this stuff,
          will you let me/us know if there's any
          useful material for astrologers?

          Love, Diana

          Website: http://ye-stars.com

        • Astro Logos Office
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 13, 2007
            Hi Diana

            Just noticed this discussion on Parpola..

            If you have been enjoying the Visual Astrology Newsletter then you would have noticed that most of the references that I use are this book - Parpola and also Herman Hunger.  These are two key translators of the material which is the origins of astrology.

            So yes, I believe for visual astrology that Parpola is most important for both planets as well as the way that we worked with stars before the Greeks.

            - For those who are interested in visual astrology then here is the link to the newsletter archive which currently is at 33 editions with over 60 articles based on this Mesopotamian sky, planet, star thinking.

            And for those who are interested in general discussion about visual astrology then there is also a blog

            So, yes Diana I think Parpola is most important :)))

            Take care

            Bernadette Brady