Re: Parpola

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2007
      original post is on skyscript under books, etc, and titled so you
      can go there directly to view. Phillip Graves is an excellent
      researcher, so if you want me to ask him something after you've
      reviewed the link, I'll be happy to. Beth

      <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

      > MissB wrote
      >
      > From Skyscript,
      >
      > Simo Parpola's 'Letters from Assyrian Scholars to the Kings
      Esarhaddon and
      > Assurbanipal', in two hardcover volumes.
      >
      > It has just been reprinted within the last month as I write,
      priced at
      > $152.10 if bought directly from the publisher. Doesn't seem yet to
      be
      > available on Amazon or from any other source. I stumbled on it
      purely by
      > chance today. It seems to run to 883 pages plus more than enough
      prefatory
      > pages to take that over 900, at least somewhat justifying the heavy
      > price-tag, and first to have been published sequentially in the
      1970s
      > (Volume I) and 1980s (Volume II)
      > https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_26B0TN3SB.HTM
      >
      > may have to invest in this myself, even at the outrageous price.
      >
      > MissB
      > =======================
      > Can't get link to work - are you sure those scholars were
      astrologers
      > astrologers?
      >
      > Love, Diana
      >
      > Website: http://ye-stars.com

    • Oparhi
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
        It seems there is a cheeper offer (120 USD) of the book:

        From link:
        http://awilum.com/?cat=64

        This summer Eisenbrauns is publishing two really great volumes that
        you will definitely want to purchase if you are interested in their
        subject matter.

        The first is a re-issue of Simo Parpola's two-volume work on the
        writings of Assyrian scholars to the kings Esarhaddon and
        Assurbanipal. Parpola's volume for the SAA series that deals with this
        same subject has been out of print for a while and furthermore, while
        the two-volume work does not include all of the texts in the SAA
        volume, the treatments are much more detailed. Also, the two-volume
        set includes great indexes that are a big help in research. So, if you
        are interested in any aspect of Assyrian scholars (this includes
        diviners as well) then you need to pick up this set (plus, they are
        also having a pre-publication special).

        The second book is Lambert's collection of Babylonian oracle questions
        that were addressed to the sun god Shamash and the storm god Adad
        (both of these deities have analogues in Canaanite pantheons as well).
        The volume includes 50 plates of hand drawings, and Lambert's copies
        are always excellent. Also, one reason why I love Eisenbrauns–you get
        all the good stuff from Lambert plus 50 pages of plates all for list
        price of $49.50. If this book were from Brill you'd have to sell your
        grandmother to pay for it.

        Outi

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
          Thanks (to both you and Beth) for telling us about
          this.

          I'll see if I can find the cash to buy it.

          Mark A. Holmes

          http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2007
            Parpola

            If anyone does get any of this stuff,
            will you let me/us know if there's any
            useful material for astrologers?

            Love, Diana

            Website: http://ye-stars.com

          • Astro Logos Office
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 2007
              Hi Diana

              Just noticed this discussion on Parpola..

              If you have been enjoying the Visual Astrology Newsletter then you would have noticed that most of the references that I use are this book - Parpola and also Herman Hunger.  These are two key translators of the material which is the origins of astrology.

              So yes, I believe for visual astrology that Parpola is most important for both planets as well as the way that we worked with stars before the Greeks.

              - For those who are interested in visual astrology then here is the link to the newsletter archive which currently is at 33 editions with over 60 articles based on this Mesopotamian sky, planet, star thinking.

              And for those who are interested in general discussion about visual astrology then there is also a blog

              So, yes Diana I think Parpola is most important :)))

              Take care

              Bernadette Brady