Parpola

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2007
      Parpola

      MissB wrote

      From Skyscript,

      Simo Parpola's 'Letters from Assyrian Scholars to the Kings Esarhaddon and Assurbanipal', in two hardcover volumes.

      It has just been reprinted within the last month as I write, priced at $152.10 if bought directly from the publisher. Doesn't seem yet to be available on Amazon or from any other source. I stumbled on it purely by chance today. It seems to run to 883 pages plus more than enough prefatory pages to take that over 900, at least somewhat justifying the heavy price-tag, and first to have been published sequentially in the 1970s (Volume I) and 1980s (Volume II) https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_26B0TN3SB.HTM

      may have to invest in this myself, even at the outrageous price.

      MissB
      =======================
      Can't get link to work - are you sure those scholars were astrologers astrologers?

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://ye-stars.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2007
        original post is on skyscript under books, etc, and titled so you
        can go there directly to view. Phillip Graves is an excellent
        researcher, so if you want me to ask him something after you've
        reviewed the link, I'll be happy to. Beth

        <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

        > MissB wrote
        >
        > From Skyscript,
        >
        > Simo Parpola's 'Letters from Assyrian Scholars to the Kings
        Esarhaddon and
        > Assurbanipal', in two hardcover volumes.
        >
        > It has just been reprinted within the last month as I write,
        priced at
        > $152.10 if bought directly from the publisher. Doesn't seem yet to
        be
        > available on Amazon or from any other source. I stumbled on it
        purely by
        > chance today. It seems to run to 883 pages plus more than enough
        prefatory
        > pages to take that over 900, at least somewhat justifying the heavy
        > price-tag, and first to have been published sequentially in the
        1970s
        > (Volume I) and 1980s (Volume II)
        > https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_26B0TN3SB.HTM
        >
        > may have to invest in this myself, even at the outrageous price.
        >
        > MissB
        > =======================
        > Can't get link to work - are you sure those scholars were
        astrologers
        > astrologers?
        >
        > Love, Diana
        >
        > Website: http://ye-stars.com

      • Oparhi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
          It seems there is a cheeper offer (120 USD) of the book:

          From link:
          http://awilum.com/?cat=64

          This summer Eisenbrauns is publishing two really great volumes that
          you will definitely want to purchase if you are interested in their
          subject matter.

          The first is a re-issue of Simo Parpola's two-volume work on the
          writings of Assyrian scholars to the kings Esarhaddon and
          Assurbanipal. Parpola's volume for the SAA series that deals with this
          same subject has been out of print for a while and furthermore, while
          the two-volume work does not include all of the texts in the SAA
          volume, the treatments are much more detailed. Also, the two-volume
          set includes great indexes that are a big help in research. So, if you
          are interested in any aspect of Assyrian scholars (this includes
          diviners as well) then you need to pick up this set (plus, they are
          also having a pre-publication special).

          The second book is Lambert's collection of Babylonian oracle questions
          that were addressed to the sun god Shamash and the storm god Adad
          (both of these deities have analogues in Canaanite pantheons as well).
          The volume includes 50 plates of hand drawings, and Lambert's copies
          are always excellent. Also, one reason why I love Eisenbrauns–you get
          all the good stuff from Lambert plus 50 pages of plates all for list
          price of $49.50. If this book were from Brill you'd have to sell your
          grandmother to pay for it.

          Outi

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
            Thanks (to both you and Beth) for telling us about
            this.

            I'll see if I can find the cash to buy it.

            Mark A. Holmes

            http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 12, 2007
              Parpola

              If anyone does get any of this stuff,
              will you let me/us know if there's any
              useful material for astrologers?

              Love, Diana

              Website: http://ye-stars.com

            • Astro Logos Office
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13, 2007
                Hi Diana

                Just noticed this discussion on Parpola..

                If you have been enjoying the Visual Astrology Newsletter then you would have noticed that most of the references that I use are this book - Parpola and also Herman Hunger.  These are two key translators of the material which is the origins of astrology.

                So yes, I believe for visual astrology that Parpola is most important for both planets as well as the way that we worked with stars before the Greeks.

                - For those who are interested in visual astrology then here is the link to the newsletter archive which currently is at 33 editions with over 60 articles based on this Mesopotamian sky, planet, star thinking.

                And for those who are interested in general discussion about visual astrology then there is also a blog

                So, yes Diana I think Parpola is most important :)))

                Take care

                Bernadette Brady