Solar eclipse Tuesday

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2007
      is Saros Series 9 North, should be at about 18 Virgo, I believe it is
      visible in Southern Hemisphere somewhere, just thought I"d mention it.

      It occurs about 9 am eastern time I do believe.

      Missb
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2007

        > is Saros Series 9 North, should be at about 18 Virgo, I believe it is
        > visible in Southern Hemisphere somewhere,

        Apparently the shadow will go from northern Peru and extreme
        northwestern Brazil down through central and southern Peru, Chile,
        western Bolivia and western Argentina to Antarctica, with the point of
        greatest shadow over the strait between South America and Antarctica.

        http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEplot/SEplot2001/SE2007Sep11P.GIF

        just thought I"d mention it.

        > It occurs about 9 am eastern time I do believe.
        >
        > Missb

        I see it aligned with the following:

        Asterion (Beta Canum Venaticorum)

        http://users.winshop.com.au/annew/Asterion.html

        Tsze Tseang (Iota Leonis)

        (Chinese = the second general)

        Shishimai (Sigma Leonis)

        (Japanese = lion dance;

        possibly of interest -- an article about the traditional Japanese
        ritual known as the shishimai [PDF file]:

        http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/publications/jjrs/pdf/274.pdf

        )

        NGC 3862 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
        Koo She (Delta Velorum)

        (Chinese = bow and arrow)