Re: [thefixedstars] Algol, horaries, electionals

    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 10:22 AM
      --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
      wrote:
      > Mark wrote:
      >
      > >I was trying to understand this concept using Algol
      > as
      > >a random example.
      >
      > Oh, I understood that, Mark. It's just that it's
      > such a
      > doozie that just the idea of using it deliberately
      > set off
      > my funnybone.

      I didn't say anything about using it deliberately.
      Understanding and using this astrological concept, I
      think, would mean people would want to avoid moving
      into houses when Algol is active in the electional
      chart.

      > In general, in elections, I don't worry about the
      > stars
      > unless something falls on a particularly worrisome
      > one.

      I think it would be interesting to see how other stars
      operate in electional charts, though.

    • Heather
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 6:52 PM
        Is there anything good about Algol, apart from feminine power?
        And what defines feminine power? perhaps being able to
        look at the multitude or multifarious nature of things, and draw all
        the little bits into a substantial whole. All those snakes for hair
        has got to mean on some level, wise thinking, and thinking that is
        able to shed its skin and see life renewed.

        I am curious as have my North Node aligned with Algol.
        I know when I head off in my direction, my pathway, some people get
        really upset, and try to stop me. Often an ensuing struggle happens,
        and I reach for the ruling planet Venus, up the close/on the 11th
        house cusp, and get on a political bandwagon about the state of the
        world. It is almost like life crunches me in, and I come out doing a
        verbal about the woeful political, or gender, or agist or racist
        situation, or anything else that is applicable to my mind set at the
        time. And it feels wonderful because instead of being pulverized by
        some icky authoritarian monster, I get the opportunity to spread some
        good honest words about the state of the world.
        Imagination comes into it a lot, having Venus conj. Neptune; mercury
        is in same sign Libra....and humour, Jupiter is on my SN.

        Heather

        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 7:57 PM
          Interesting.

          Mark A. Holmes

          --- Heather <HeatherCam@...> wrote:
          > Is there anything good about Algol, apart from
          > feminine power?
          > And what defines feminine power? perhaps being able
          > look at the multitude or multifarious nature of
          > things, and draw all
          > the little bits into a substantial whole. All those
          > snakes for hair
          > has got to mean on some level, wise thinking, and
          > thinking that is
          > able to shed its skin and see life renewed.
          >
          > I am curious as have my North Node aligned with
          > Algol.
          > I know when I head off in my direction, my pathway,
          > some people get
          > really upset, and try to stop me. Often an ensuing
          > struggle happens,
          > and I reach for the ruling planet Venus, up the
          > close/on the 11th
          > house cusp, and get on a political bandwagon about
          > the state of the
          > world. It is almost like life crunches me in, and I
          > come out doing a
          > verbal about the woeful political, or gender, or
          > agist or racist
          > situation, or anything else that is applicable to my
          > mind set at the
          > time. And it feels wonderful because instead of
          > being pulverized by
          > some icky authoritarian monster, I get the
          > opportunity to spread some
          > good honest words about the state of the world.
          > Imagination comes into it a lot, having Venus conj.
          > Neptune; mercury
          > is in same sign Libra....and humour, Jupiter is on
          > my SN.
          >
          > Heather

        • Heather
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 10:34 PM
            Not all gloom and doom!
            Here is some good stuff on Capulus and Algol....
            we all have a bit of Capulus and Algol in us..

            "....What seems to have been missed by the old school is that Capulus
            and Algol (Capulus; evil star in the hand of Perseus that holds the
            sword and Algol; the Demon's Head that Perseus is carrying) each have
            a very positive side to them. That sword did remove a monstrosity from
            our world and the monstrosity's head did in turn, rescue Andromeda,
            and by the same token, all of us from yet another great monster of
            evil. We all too easily look back and within ourselves only to be
            halted at our traumas and 'nasty bits' and failing to penetrate
            further to the glory beyond them. Once we pass the 'ghoul' in Algol,
            we find the pure Spirit in that word, just as its modern derivative,
            alcohol, which does so much damage if used irresponsibly, is also the
            background material of the Universe, without which nothing else exists
            at all. (Dr. Eric Morse The Living Stars Amethyst Books 1988,
            Starnames R H Allen)

            1sep.gif (2919 bytes)

            Pegasus is gained from the blood of the Medusa (which represents the
            savage aspect of elemental nature which Perseus had just mastered) and
            symbolizes the resultant gaining of intellectual power and
            inspiration. From her blood sprang Pegasus, which became his mount....."

            ....In The Shield of Herakles by Hesiod, we are given a glimpse of
            Perseus' reckless escape from the remaining angry sisters after he had
            beheaded Medusa. "He was wearing winged sandals and the Helm of Hades
            but the Gorgons were at his heels, the serpents on their heads and at
            their waists and were snapping at Perseus as he sped away". (Sword 220).
            Never before had Hermes's sandals been put to better use. Over oceans
            and continents they bore Perseus until the dreadful sisters were
            outdistanced.

            Meanwhile, after Perseus left with her head Athena took charge of
            what was left of Medusa's body. She flayed off Medusa's skin and made
            it into her trademark Aegis. She took two drops of the blood to King
            Erichthonius (her lame adopted sun, see Auriga) explaining that one
            would cure disease and the other was a deadly poison. Athene carried
            the aegis of Zeus at Troy. The gigantic head of Gorgon, a thing of
            fear and horror, was the centerpiece of a series of warcraft icons;
            Terror, Hatred and Onslaught. (The Iliad 5.741).

            Even as he flew, drops of Medusa's blood seeped through the wallet and
            fell on the water below and from those drops of her blood sprang
            Pegasus and Chrysoar.
            Little is known of Chrysaor other than that he was considered a
            stouthearted warrior. His name meant Golden Sword. He fathered Geryon,
            of Erythia (somewhere beyond present day Spain), a giant with three
            bodies and three heads, whose choice oxen were driven away by Heracles
            - 10th labor.
            Westward over the Sahara in Africa Perseus flew, bearing his terrible
            cargo. At each drop of blood that fell from the Medusa's head, began
            an oasis on that spot in the desert....

            ....Even while they spoke the waters turned darker blue, then to murky
            blackness as the monster itself rose through the deeps from the
            seabed, fathoms below. Great blood-red barnacles ringed with black
            glistened along the enormous length. Its jaws gaped wide and its
            granite like teeth flashed as it reared its head towards Andromeda.
            Perseus flung himself between the girl and the monster and when the
            monster felt a sharp pain in his back. He turned and found Perseus
            flying with winged sandals and attacking him. The monster grew
            stronger as they fought. Then Perseus remembered that he was carrying
            Medusa's (Algol) head. Quickly turning his own head aside, he dropped
            his sword and took out the creepy object from its wallet and thrust it
            before the eyes of the deadly creature from the sea. The sea monster
            stared at it and turned immediately into stone. When the fearful head
            had been safely returned to the protection of the wallet, with four
            quick, powerful blows by the sickle of Cronus he severed the chains
            which bound the girl.....
            The myth of Perseus illustrates the complexity of the father-son and
            son-father relationship present in all men. Perseus had no human
            father. He was directly descended from Zeus (metamorphosed into a
            shower of gold) and Danae. Danae's father, Acrisius, however, had been
            told by an oracle that he would be killed by his grandson and, in his
            fear, set Danae adrift on the sea in a wooden chest with her baby.
            They reached an island, where Perseus grew up and became famous for
            his great deeds. It is pointless in this context to explain the myth
            in elaborate detail, it suffices to observe that, as Paul Diel
            explains, it symbolizes the simultaneous existence in each individual
            of two images of the father - the first of an overbearing and hostile
            person, the second of a man of sublime and generous nature, the first
            being no more than a perverted image of the second. The negative
            aspect might be regarded as that of the old Adam', responsible for
            Original Sin and for all the ills and weaknesses and painful duties
            which are consequent upon it and. on top of all this, swollen with
            self-conceit. The positive aspect is that of the father as symbol of
            the spirit which enlightens and of the strength which creates, shares
            and comforts. Which of these two fathers was he to kill? That is to
            say, which was he to choose? The myth is as it were a symbol of choice.

            Perseus was, however, also the conqueror of Medusa, Queen of the
            Gorgons, thanks to Pegasus, the winged horse which had enabled
            Bellerophon to overcome the Chimera. If Medusa stands for an
            exaggerated image of guilt, cutting off her head is decisively to
            master exaggerated, paralyzing and morbid feelings of guilt and to
            gain the strength to see oneself undistorted by belittlement or
            self-aggrandizement. This is clear-sightedness without the distorting
            mirror reflecting the morbid world of sin. In this respect also,
            Perseus symbolizes a choice between standing as if turned to stone
            before the image of sin distorted by the seductions of self conceit,
            or cutting off the head of that image by overcoming self-conceit
            through the exercise of a balanced judgement and with the sharp sword
            of the truth (DIES pp.90-105). As a reward for Overcoming self-conceit
            and the monsters of his own creation, Perseus at Zeus' command became
            one of the heavenly constellations. He symbolizes the realization of
            an ideal at the cost of hard struggle and courageous and careful
            choice. ["The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols", 1969, Jean Chevalier and
            Alain Gheerbrant" translated by John Buchanan-Brown, Penguin books]."

            http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Perseus.html

            Heather