Re: Fixed star alignments (August 26, 2007)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007

      > As of midnight GMT in London.
      >

      > Asterisks indicate new alignments
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)
      >
      > Rho Ophiuchi
      >
      > Antares (Alpha Scorpii)
      >
      > Gatria (Gamma Trianguli Australe)
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > *Regulus (Alpha Leonis)

      "It gives violence, destructiveness, military honor of short duration,
      with ultimate failure, imprisonment, violent death, success, high and
      lofty ideals and strength of spirit, and makes its natives
      magnanimous, grandly liberal, generous, ambitious, fond of power,
      desirous of command, high-spirited and independent." (Robson)

      From the Brady star file in SolarFire 5:

      "This is one of the great stars in the sky and is linked to the
      Persian mythical king, Feridum. He was a prosperous king but lost his
      kingdom when he engaged in revenge. All of the Royal Stars promise
      great potential and success as long as a particular human nemesis is
      avoided. In Regulus' case, the issue is that of revenge and if strong
      in a chart, the individual needs to avoid this temptation."

      > *Algeiba (aka Algenubi; Epsilon Leonis)

      "It gives a bold, bombastic, cruel, heartless, brutish and destructive
      nature, but artistic appreciation and power of expression." (Robson)

      (dogfighting? Michael Vick?)

      ?

      > *Spider Galaxy (UGC 5829 Leonis Minoris)

      spinning a web, having to do with spiders

      > *Kappa Pyxidis

      where do you want to go?

      > Ta Tsun (Psi Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > *NGC 3982 (Ursae Majoris; a galaxy with a suspected
      > black hole)
      >
      > *Mayall's Object (MCG7-23-19 Ursae Majoris)

      an unusual partnership

      > Uranus
      >

      > Honda's Star (V1500 Cygni, aka Nova Cygni 1975,
      > discovered by Japanese
      > astronomer Minoru Honda)
      >
      > Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)
      >
      > Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)
      >
      > The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; a small
      > asterism in Cygnus)
      >
      > *Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      Arabic = the pearls

      > *HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable aka nova)
      >
      > S Doradus
      >
      > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
      >
      > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; marking the obsolete
      > constellation Phoenicopterus the Flamingo, now known
      > as Grus the Crane)
      >
      > IL Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable aka nova)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Tseen Yin (Delta Arae)
      >
      > Lucida Mensae (Alpha Mensae, the brightest star in
      > Mensa the Table Mountain)
      >
      > Kelb Alrai (Beta Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi, so nicknamed for its
      > extraordinarily high iron content)
      >
      > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii, a unusually hot star
      > within the Pistol Nebula)
      >
      > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
      >
      > Sargas (Theta Scorpii)
      >
      > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
      >
      > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii, a pulsar
      > named for its emissions pattern and its lead
      > discoverer, Scott Hyman)
      >
      > Aculeus (M-6 Scorpii, the Butterfly Cluster)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Bow-Tie Nebula (NGC 40 Cephei)

      nerdy, old?

      (around Cepheus' right foot)

      > *UV Persei

      ultraviolet? ozone depletion?

      > V Persei (cataclysmic variables)
      >
      > Atirsagne (Omicron Tauri)

      Akkadian = the verdant sign

      (being "green"?)

      > *Ushakaron (Xi Tauri)

      Akkadian = bringer of retribution

      > *Psalterium (10 Tauri; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Psalterium Georgii [George's Harp])

      having a great time?

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii)

      flooded, overwhelmed

      > *Nova Cygni 1992 (V1974 Cygni, a cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Head of Hydrus (Alpha Hydri)

      "snakebit" (consistently bad luck, hopeless)

      > *VY Sculptoris (cataclysmic variable)

      to compete

      > Juno
      >

      > *Tadpole Galaxy (Arp 188 Draconis)

      tadpole = something like a fish that will grow into a frog

      (growing from being able to function in only one environment to being
      able to function in more than one)

      (space travel?)

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)
      >
      > *Han (Zeta Ophiuchi)
      >
      > *Rho Ophiuchi
      >
      > *Antares (Alpha Scorpii)
      >
      > *Shark's Jaws Nebula (King 1-3 Scorpii)
      >
      > *Gatria (Gamma Trianguli Australe)
      >

      > Chiron
      >

      > Albali (Epsilon Aquarii)

      Arabic = the swallower

      > AE Aquarii (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      arts and entertainment

      > Armus (Eta Capricorni)

      "It gives disagreeableness, contemptibleness, instability,
      shamelessness, nagging, and a troublesome and contentious nature."
      (Robson)

      > *Foxhead Cluster (NGC 6819 Cygni)

      a fox guarding the chicken coop