Philosophy of Fixed Stars

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hi-

      Got the link for this thru "Chaos Stars" list.

      I looked at the inception chart just now and I was impressed by the
      angular Me/Pl and the strong 6th house/Virgo theme. There might be a
      great deal of nice research coming down the pike here, but Pisces adds
      a mystical bent also. Saturn singleton adds a certain depth and
      seriousness. The fixed stars and galactic points deserve to be treated
      this way and there is so much to learn. Anyway, thanks for starting
      this group Mark.

      I have been wondering for so long about the nature of the fixed stars
      in astrology from a philosophical angle. For instance, I heard a
      lecture by Robert Schmidt or Hand (my notes are a little sketchy)
      where he discussed Greek cosmology as an "explicit theology". This
      theology posits the stars as "living beings" , that is, the Greeks (I
      think he was specifically referring to Plato) considered the stars to
      be alive, or "gods". Also, the Greek word for "sign" is zoion meaning
      'living thing' and 'image'. This lead me to the idea that the stars
      are aspects of a great cosmic Soul and that these stars are alive and
      "speak" through living images. By 'living images' I mean,open up a
      book like Star Names by Allen and consider the phenomenal array of
      representations various cultures and their astronomers have generated
      for the major stars. I kind of get stuck here, but I like this line
      from Plato's Timaeus(l.1524-5)

      "And for this reason the fixed stars were created , to be divine and
      eternal animals, ever abiding and revolving after he same manner and
      on the same spot..."

      Has anyone else on this list studied along this or similar lines? I'd
      be interested in what you have to say.

      Joe