Fires, Greece, Antares

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 28, 2007
      Fires, Greece, Antares

      Astrocalypse wrote

      1b. Re: Greece Fires
          Posted by: "astrocalypse@..." astrocalypse@... astrocalypse
          Date: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:58 am ((PDT))

      Whilst in Greece a few weeks ago, the most bright and prominent stars which attracted our attention were Jupiter's alignment with Antares.

      As it is Jupiter-Antares are in a fire sign whilst Mars was blowing its flaming hot air! and Vesta joins with Jupiter doesn't help.

      Looking at the Aries Ingress in Athens, Antares was rising and Algol was setting when Sun was at IC. Arcturus was setting as Mars was culminating. The heliacal setting star was Regulus (where Saturn is now).

      At the Cancer Ingress Jupiter was rising when Algol was setting.  The heliacal rising star was Aldebaran and the heliacal setting star was Arcturus.

      I did a study of fires and fixed stars years ago - Antares and Algol are two of the
      top-scorers.

      This is from the Chinese material:

      Antares, the Scorpion's heart, is China's Sin, The Heart of their great Azure Dragon of Spring (it was a heart, and associated with royalty, in both traditions!). It was also called Ho, Fire. Seedlings needed the heat of the Sun, so "the ceremony of the renewal of the fire" was performed on the morning of the heliacal rising of Ta-Ho, "The Great Fire", another name for Sin. Using a mirror of polished metal, the conductor of the ceremony would reflect the Sun's beams onto dried moss, which would burst into flame; then a willow or elm branch was lit from these flames, creating a torch, which in its turn ignited a great sacrificial pyre dedicated to this asterism and the Spirit of the Fire. From this it was also called Ming-Tang, the Temple of Light. (Schlegel witnessed such a ceremony and left a vivid description). Just as in the West, the Chinese associated red Antares with red planet Mars, and called Ta-Ho "The House of Mars".

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://ye-stars.com

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 29, 2007
        Both California Redwoods and California Black oak trees need fire,
        hot fire, to reproduce. I think sometimes we forget that fire is
        part of our growth and life cycles, MissB

        =======

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 29, 2007
          --- msbhavens1 <msbhavens1@...> wrote:

          > Both California Redwoods and California Black oak
          > trees need fire,
          > hot fire, to reproduce. I think sometimes we forget
          > that fire is
          > part of our growth and life cycles, MissB

          That may be, but if you have a house in the woods, you
          don't want to find yourself in the middle of a forest
          fire. I think some forests, at least, should be
          completely off-limits to logging or development.

          I wonder if there are more stars connected to these
          fires.

          Mark A. Holmes

          http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
        • astrocalypse@blueyonder.co.uk
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 29, 2007
            > I did a study of fires and fixed stars years ago - Antares and Algol are
            > two
            > of the
            > top-scorers.
            >
            > This is from the Chinese material:
            >
            > Antares, the Scorpion's heart, is China's Sin, The Heart of their great
            > Azure Dragon of Spring (it was a heart, and associated with royalty, in
            > both
            > traditions!). It was also called Ho, Fire. Seedlings needed the heat of
            > the
            > Sun, so "the ceremony of the renewal of the fire" was performed on the
            > morning of the heliacal rising of Ta-Ho, "The Great Fire", another name
            > for
            > Sin. Using a mirror of polished metal, the conductor of the ceremony would
            > reflect the Sun's beams onto dried moss, which would burst into flame;
            > then
            > a willow or elm branch was lit from these flames, creating a torch, which
            > in
            > its turn ignited a great sacrificial pyre dedicated to this asterism and
            > the
            > Spirit of the Fire. From this it was also called Ming-Tang, the Temple of
            > Light. (Schlegel witnessed such a ceremony and left a vivid description).
            > Just as in the West, the Chinese associated red Antares with red planet
            > Mars, and called Ta-Ho "The House of Mars".
            >
            > Love, Diana
            >

            > Website: http://ye-stars.com

            Thank you Diana. Very interesting.
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 29, 2007
              If you have a house in the woods you want it to be stone with a
              metal roof (or tile) and a reasonable clearing around it. ;-) A well
              with a pump and hose doesn't hurt either. (yeah I used to work fire
              for the forrest service.)
              MissB

              -- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew Holmes

              _______________

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 29, 2007

                > > Both California Redwoods and California Black oak
                > > trees need fire,
                > > hot fire, to reproduce. I think sometimes we
                > forget
                > > that fire is
                > > part of our growth and life cycles, MissB
                >

                > That may be, but if you have a house in the woods,
                > you
                > don't want to find yourself in the middle of a
                > forest
                > fire. I think some forests, at least, should be
                > completely off-limits to logging or development.
                >

                > I wonder if there are more stars connected to these
                > fires.

                I don't see anything obvious, although we do have
                Sadalachbia (Gamma Aquarii) aligned with the North
                Node (lots of people forced out of their homes),
                Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii) aligned with Pallas (people
                becoming engulfed or overwhelmed, perhaps with fire,
                or problems),Ushakaron ("exacter of retribution," Xi
                Tauri) aligned with Ceres (seems to be a lot of
                emphasis on people getting theirs lately--I think the
                Greek police have arrested a bunch of arsonists and
                people in Greece are furious at Costas Karamanlis over
                his government's handling of the fires). And Algenubi
                (Epsilon Leonis) aligned with Saturn. Somebody at this
                year's Burning Man festival in Nevada decided to torch
                the big effigy there four days before it was supposed
                to be burned and last I heard was sitting in jail.

                But not only is Jupiter aligned with Antares, but
                Vesta is too, or was last Sunday when I posted this
                week's star alignments list. A double dose of
                Antares.

                http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
              • astrocalypse@blueyonder.co.uk
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 29, 2007
                  > If you have a house in the woods you want it to be stone with a
                  > metal roof (or tile) and a reasonable clearing around it. ;-) A well
                  > with a pump and hose doesn't hurt either. (yeah I used to work fire
                  > for the forrest service.)
                  > MissB

                  In fertile climate like Greece, fruits and olive trees grow where the
                  seeds fall. It is not uncommon these trees are allowed to grow yards from
                  houses. Where olive groves are, there are usually some 'clearings' around
                  residences but there are usually limited due to space. In dry hot weather
                  (upto 46 degree Celsius), many things burn very easily anyway. Quite a
                  few those die unfortunately were trapped in cars.

                  There are gotta be multiple causes for the disaster. It may be true that
                  increasing demand for 'overseas properties' in destination like Greece
                  necessitate conversion of agricultural and other land. Whilst Peloponaise
                  is a fairly popular tourist destination, its landscape is not exactly
                  hospitable which is why it has hardly been as developed as Athens. Still
                  it is necessary to maintain healthy skeptism about the politicians
                  immediate conclusion. It gives rise to easy scapegoating - the first
                  three people I read being arrested were 'old men and a young person!

                  An election is looming in Greece so it would be interesting to see if this
                  leads to any changes. Thou

                  Anyone has the national chart(s) of Greece?
                • Oparhi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 30, 2007
                    This is an interesting question and i think the situation is now calming
                    down.
                    Maybe it is time to do more proper work about it.

                    In case interested I've got a newsletter about eclipses in my blog +
                    some of Vesta.

                    Outi

                    http://blog.360.yahoo.com/rss-19rGb6sieKmHrVOjBdVuPg--?cq=1

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2007
                      > This is an interesting question and i think the situation is now calming
                      down.
                      > Maybe it is time to do more proper work about it.
                      >
                      > In case interested I've got a newsletter about eclipses in my blog +
                      some of Vesta.

                      > Outi
                      >
                      > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/rss-19rGb6sieKmHrVOjBdVuPg--?cq=1

                      Yes, this was very bad but I have little doubt the Greeks will recover
                      (not sure about their government though).

                      The link here is one interesting blog about the fire:

                      http://forestfiresingreece.blogspot.com/
                    • astrocalypse@blueyonder.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 31, 2007
                        Found a nice little program -

                        www.stellarium.org

                        Stellarium 0.9.0

                        Once it is downloaded and installed.

                        Go to Tools (spanner icon at bottom of screen), then click on the language
                        tab, and you can select the different Sky Cultures. From Egyptian,
                        Chinese, Inuit, Navajo, etc ...
                      • astrocalypse@blueyonder.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 31, 2007

                          > --- Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> I wonder if there are more stars connected to these
                          >> fires.
                          >

                          > I don't see anything obvious, although we do have
                          > Sadalachbia (Gamma Aquarii) aligned with the North
                          > Node (lots of people forced out of their homes),
                          > Ekchusis (Lambda Aquarii) aligned with Pallas (people
                          > becoming engulfed or overwhelmed, perhaps with fire,
                          > or problems),Ushakaron ("exacter of retribution," Xi
                          > Tauri) aligned with Ceres (seems to be a lot of
                          > emphasis on people getting theirs lately--I think the
                          > Greek police have arrested a bunch of arsonists and
                          > people in Greece are furious at Costas Karamanlis over
                          > his government's handling of the fires). And Algenubi
                          > (Epsilon Leonis) aligned with Saturn. Somebody at this
                          > year's Burning Man festival in Nevada decided to torch
                          > the big effigy there four days before it was supposed
                          > to be burned and last I heard was sitting in jail.
                          >
                          > But not only is Jupiter aligned with Antares, but
                          > Vesta is too, or was last Sunday when I posted this
                          > week's star alignments list. A double dose of
                          > Antares.
                          >

                          > Mark A. Holmes

                          I was looking for Kostas Karamanlis's birthday to see whether he has Deneb
                          Algedi prominent but found something else ...

                          14 September 1956, Athens, Greece.

                          tSaturn on nPluto!

                          May be the eclipse is worse to him than having the leg of a goat ;).
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 31, 2007
                            --- astrocalypse@... wrote:

                            > Found a nice little program -
                            >
                            > www.stellarium.org
                            >
                            > Stellarium 0.9.0
                            >
                            > Once it is downloaded and installed.
                            >
                            > Go to Tools (spanner icon at bottom of screen), then
                            > click on the language
                            > tab, and you can select the different Sky Cultures.
                            > From Egyptian,
                            > Chinese, Inuit, Navajo, etc ...

                            Thank you.

                            Got a little couch potato?
                          • Derek Reveres
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 31, 2007
                              Yes, seconded. Thanks!!

                              >From: Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...>
                              >To: thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [thefixedstars] Stars of other cultures
                              >Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 05:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
                              >

                              >--- astrocalypse@... wrote:
                              >

                              > > Found a nice little program -
                              > >
                              > > www.stellarium.org
                              > >
                              > > Stellarium 0.9.0
                              > >
                              > > Once it is downloaded and installed.
                              > >
                              > > Go to Tools (spanner icon at bottom of screen), then
                              > > click on the language
                              > > tab, and you can select the different Sky Cultures.
                              > > From Egyptian,
                              > > Chinese, Inuit, Navajo, etc ...
                              > >

                              >Thank you.
                              >

                              >Mark A. Holmes

                              >Got a little couch potato?
                              >Check out fun summer activities for kids.
                              >http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

                              Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
                              http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
                                --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, astrocalypse@... wrote:

                                > Found a nice little program -
                                >
                                > www.stellarium.org
                                >
                                > Stellarium 0.9.0
                                >
                                > Once it is downloaded and installed.
                                >
                                > Go to Tools (spanner icon at bottom of screen), then click on the
                                language
                                > tab, and you can select the different Sky Cultures. From Egyptian,
                                > Chinese, Inuit, Navajo, etc ...

                                I've downloaded it and am now exploring it.