Algol, horaries, electionals

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005

      Mark wrote:

      >I haven't done horary or electional charts all that
      >much. If it's an electional chart for moving into a
      >new home, would there be a difference between Algol
      >aligned with the ruler of the fourth house and Algol
      >aligned with, say, the ruler of the twelfth house?

      ROFLOL!

      I'm sure there could be a difference, Mark, but couldn't you
      somehow manage to avoid Algol altogether?

      from the book:

      War (esp attacks), mass murder, terror, mob violence, acts
      of intolerance, massacres, assassination, mass disasters:
      earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, fires, plagues, poisonings,
      storms, fog, shipwrecks, beheading, hanging, mutilation,
      choking, suffocation, asphyxiation, electrocution, animal
      attacks, mass deaths of animals, meteorite falls,
      discoveries of prehistoric art and artifacts; Virgin Mary
      apparitions.

      Of course, with the ruler of the fourth aligned with Algol,
      you might just discover prehistoric art in the basement, or
      a meteorite, or even the Virgin Mary, but I wouldn't count
      on it...

      As for Algol with the ruler of the twelfth, you might
      encounter a gaggle of nasty spooks in the attic! The
      Amityville Horror comes to mind.

      Love, Diana (who is still giggling)

      PS: Seriously, Algol is a major fire star, so keep it away
      from anything to do with buildings!
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2005
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:
        > > Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:34:32 -0700 (PDT)
        > > From: Mark Andrew Holmes
        > <mahtezcatpoc@...>
        > >Subject: Re: Fixed Stars in electionals
        >
        > Mark wrote:
        >
        > >I haven't done horary or electional charts all that
        > >much. If it's an electional chart for moving into a
        > >new home, would there be a difference between Algol
        > >aligned with the ruler of the fourth house and
        > Algol
        > >aligned with, say, the ruler of the twelfth house?
        >
        > ROFLOL!

        LOL

        > I'm sure there could be a difference, Mark, but
        > couldn't you
        > somehow manage to avoid Algol altogether?

        I was trying to understand this concept using Algol as
        a random example. Guess I should have used something
        else instead.

        > from the book:
        >
        > War (esp attacks), mass murder, terror, mob
        > violence, acts
        > of intolerance, massacres, assassination, mass
        > disasters:
        > earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, fires, plagues,
        > poisonings,
        > storms, fog, shipwrecks, beheading, hanging,
        > mutilation,
        > choking, suffocation, asphyxiation, electrocution,
        > animal
        > attacks, mass deaths of animals, meteorite falls,
        > discoveries of prehistoric art and artifacts; Virgin
        > Mary
        > apparitions.
        >
        > Of course, with the ruler of the fourth aligned with
        > Algol,
        > you might just discover prehistoric art in the
        > basement, or
        > a meteorite, or even the Virgin Mary,

        ...or maybe you'll discover that the basement is full
        of radon, or experience a brush with death (or a
        one-way trip to kingdom come) when the furnace starts
        putting out carbon monoxide, or maybe you'll become a
        crime or accident victim after you move into the
        house, or maybe your child develops problems...

        but I wouldn't
        > count
        > on it...

        The extraordinary, by definition, usually doesn't
        happen.

        > As for Algol with the ruler of the twelfth, you
        > might
        > encounter a gaggle of nasty spooks in the attic! The
        > Amityville Horror comes to mind.

        Even if the Lutzes perpetrated a hoax (which they
        might not have), there is no question that that house
        in Amityville, New York has a history, as does
        JonBenet Ramsey's old house, and the house of a guy I
        knew in grade school who was shot dead there by his
        own mother, who then turned the gun on herself, when I
        was sixteen.

        > Love, Diana (who is still giggling)

        LOL

        > PS: Seriously, Algol is a major fire star, so keep
        > it away
        > from anything to do with buildings!

        I get your point.

        LOL

      • Diana K. Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2005
          Mark wrote:

          >I was trying to understand this concept using Algol as
          >a random example.

          Oh, I understood that, Mark. It's just that it's such a
          doozie that just the idea of using it deliberately set off
          my funnybone.

          In general, in elections, I don't worry about the stars
          unless something falls on a particularly worrisome one.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2005
            --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
            wrote:
            > Mark wrote:
            >
            > >I was trying to understand this concept using Algol
            > as
            > >a random example.
            >
            > Oh, I understood that, Mark. It's just that it's
            > such a
            > doozie that just the idea of using it deliberately
            > set off
            > my funnybone.

            I didn't say anything about using it deliberately.
            Understanding and using this astrological concept, I
            think, would mean people would want to avoid moving
            into houses when Algol is active in the electional
            chart.

            > In general, in elections, I don't worry about the
            > stars
            > unless something falls on a particularly worrisome
            > one.

            I think it would be interesting to see how other stars
            operate in electional charts, though.

          • Heather
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2005
              Is there anything good about Algol, apart from feminine power?
              And what defines feminine power? perhaps being able to
              look at the multitude or multifarious nature of things, and draw all
              the little bits into a substantial whole. All those snakes for hair
              has got to mean on some level, wise thinking, and thinking that is
              able to shed its skin and see life renewed.

              I am curious as have my North Node aligned with Algol.
              I know when I head off in my direction, my pathway, some people get
              really upset, and try to stop me. Often an ensuing struggle happens,
              and I reach for the ruling planet Venus, up the close/on the 11th
              house cusp, and get on a political bandwagon about the state of the
              world. It is almost like life crunches me in, and I come out doing a
              verbal about the woeful political, or gender, or agist or racist
              situation, or anything else that is applicable to my mind set at the
              time. And it feels wonderful because instead of being pulverized by
              some icky authoritarian monster, I get the opportunity to spread some
              good honest words about the state of the world.
              Imagination comes into it a lot, having Venus conj. Neptune; mercury
              is in same sign Libra....and humour, Jupiter is on my SN.

              Heather

              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2005
                Interesting.

                Mark A. Holmes

                --- Heather <HeatherCam@...> wrote:
                > Is there anything good about Algol, apart from
                > feminine power?
                > And what defines feminine power? perhaps being able
                > look at the multitude or multifarious nature of
                > things, and draw all
                > the little bits into a substantial whole. All those
                > snakes for hair
                > has got to mean on some level, wise thinking, and
                > thinking that is
                > able to shed its skin and see life renewed.
                >
                > I am curious as have my North Node aligned with
                > Algol.
                > I know when I head off in my direction, my pathway,
                > some people get
                > really upset, and try to stop me. Often an ensuing
                > struggle happens,
                > and I reach for the ruling planet Venus, up the
                > close/on the 11th
                > house cusp, and get on a political bandwagon about
                > the state of the
                > world. It is almost like life crunches me in, and I
                > come out doing a
                > verbal about the woeful political, or gender, or
                > agist or racist
                > situation, or anything else that is applicable to my
                > mind set at the
                > time. And it feels wonderful because instead of
                > being pulverized by
                > some icky authoritarian monster, I get the
                > opportunity to spread some
                > good honest words about the state of the world.
                > Imagination comes into it a lot, having Venus conj.
                > Neptune; mercury
                > is in same sign Libra....and humour, Jupiter is on
                > my SN.
                >
                > Heather

              • Heather
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2005
                  Not all gloom and doom!
                  Here is some good stuff on Capulus and Algol....
                  we all have a bit of Capulus and Algol in us..

                  "....What seems to have been missed by the old school is that Capulus
                  and Algol (Capulus; evil star in the hand of Perseus that holds the
                  sword and Algol; the Demon's Head that Perseus is carrying) each have
                  a very positive side to them. That sword did remove a monstrosity from
                  our world and the monstrosity's head did in turn, rescue Andromeda,
                  and by the same token, all of us from yet another great monster of
                  evil. We all too easily look back and within ourselves only to be
                  halted at our traumas and 'nasty bits' and failing to penetrate
                  further to the glory beyond them. Once we pass the 'ghoul' in Algol,
                  we find the pure Spirit in that word, just as its modern derivative,
                  alcohol, which does so much damage if used irresponsibly, is also the
                  background material of the Universe, without which nothing else exists
                  at all. (Dr. Eric Morse The Living Stars Amethyst Books 1988,
                  Starnames R H Allen)

                  1sep.gif (2919 bytes)

                  Pegasus is gained from the blood of the Medusa (which represents the
                  savage aspect of elemental nature which Perseus had just mastered) and
                  symbolizes the resultant gaining of intellectual power and
                  inspiration. From her blood sprang Pegasus, which became his mount....."

                  ....In The Shield of Herakles by Hesiod, we are given a glimpse of
                  Perseus' reckless escape from the remaining angry sisters after he had
                  beheaded Medusa. "He was wearing winged sandals and the Helm of Hades
                  but the Gorgons were at his heels, the serpents on their heads and at
                  their waists and were snapping at Perseus as he sped away". (Sword 220).
                  Never before had Hermes's sandals been put to better use. Over oceans
                  and continents they bore Perseus until the dreadful sisters were
                  outdistanced.

                  Meanwhile, after Perseus left with her head Athena took charge of
                  what was left of Medusa's body. She flayed off Medusa's skin and made
                  it into her trademark Aegis. She took two drops of the blood to King
                  Erichthonius (her lame adopted sun, see Auriga) explaining that one
                  would cure disease and the other was a deadly poison. Athene carried
                  the aegis of Zeus at Troy. The gigantic head of Gorgon, a thing of
                  fear and horror, was the centerpiece of a series of warcraft icons;
                  Terror, Hatred and Onslaught. (The Iliad 5.741).

                  Even as he flew, drops of Medusa's blood seeped through the wallet and
                  fell on the water below and from those drops of her blood sprang
                  Pegasus and Chrysoar.
                  Little is known of Chrysaor other than that he was considered a
                  stouthearted warrior. His name meant Golden Sword. He fathered Geryon,
                  of Erythia (somewhere beyond present day Spain), a giant with three
                  bodies and three heads, whose choice oxen were driven away by Heracles
                  - 10th labor.
                  Westward over the Sahara in Africa Perseus flew, bearing his terrible
                  cargo. At each drop of blood that fell from the Medusa's head, began
                  an oasis on that spot in the desert....

                  ....Even while they spoke the waters turned darker blue, then to murky
                  blackness as the monster itself rose through the deeps from the
                  seabed, fathoms below. Great blood-red barnacles ringed with black
                  glistened along the enormous length. Its jaws gaped wide and its
                  granite like teeth flashed as it reared its head towards Andromeda.
                  Perseus flung himself between the girl and the monster and when the
                  monster felt a sharp pain in his back. He turned and found Perseus
                  flying with winged sandals and attacking him. The monster grew
                  stronger as they fought. Then Perseus remembered that he was carrying
                  Medusa's (Algol) head. Quickly turning his own head aside, he dropped
                  his sword and took out the creepy object from its wallet and thrust it
                  before the eyes of the deadly creature from the sea. The sea monster
                  stared at it and turned immediately into stone. When the fearful head
                  had been safely returned to the protection of the wallet, with four
                  quick, powerful blows by the sickle of Cronus he severed the chains
                  which bound the girl.....
                  The myth of Perseus illustrates the complexity of the father-son and
                  son-father relationship present in all men. Perseus had no human
                  father. He was directly descended from Zeus (metamorphosed into a
                  shower of gold) and Danae. Danae's father, Acrisius, however, had been
                  told by an oracle that he would be killed by his grandson and, in his
                  fear, set Danae adrift on the sea in a wooden chest with her baby.
                  They reached an island, where Perseus grew up and became famous for
                  his great deeds. It is pointless in this context to explain the myth
                  in elaborate detail, it suffices to observe that, as Paul Diel
                  explains, it symbolizes the simultaneous existence in each individual
                  of two images of the father - the first of an overbearing and hostile
                  person, the second of a man of sublime and generous nature, the first
                  being no more than a perverted image of the second. The negative
                  aspect might be regarded as that of the old Adam', responsible for
                  Original Sin and for all the ills and weaknesses and painful duties
                  which are consequent upon it and. on top of all this, swollen with
                  self-conceit. The positive aspect is that of the father as symbol of
                  the spirit which enlightens and of the strength which creates, shares
                  and comforts. Which of these two fathers was he to kill? That is to
                  say, which was he to choose? The myth is as it were a symbol of choice.

                  Perseus was, however, also the conqueror of Medusa, Queen of the
                  Gorgons, thanks to Pegasus, the winged horse which had enabled
                  Bellerophon to overcome the Chimera. If Medusa stands for an
                  exaggerated image of guilt, cutting off her head is decisively to
                  master exaggerated, paralyzing and morbid feelings of guilt and to
                  gain the strength to see oneself undistorted by belittlement or
                  self-aggrandizement. This is clear-sightedness without the distorting
                  mirror reflecting the morbid world of sin. In this respect also,
                  Perseus symbolizes a choice between standing as if turned to stone
                  before the image of sin distorted by the seductions of self conceit,
                  or cutting off the head of that image by overcoming self-conceit
                  through the exercise of a balanced judgement and with the sharp sword
                  of the truth (DIES pp.90-105). As a reward for Overcoming self-conceit
                  and the monsters of his own creation, Perseus at Zeus' command became
                  one of the heavenly constellations. He symbolizes the realization of
                  an ideal at the cost of hard struggle and courageous and careful
                  choice. ["The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols", 1969, Jean Chevalier and
                  Alain Gheerbrant" translated by John Buchanan-Brown, Penguin books]."

                  http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Perseus.html

                  Heather