Re: Fixed star alignments (July 22, 2007)

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2007

      > As of midnight GMT in London.
      >

      > Asterisks indicate new alignments
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)
      >
      > Han (Zeta Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Rho Ophiuchi
      >
      > Antares (Alpha Scorpii)
      >
      > *Shark's Jaws Nebula (King 1-3 Scorpii)

      shark attacks, swimming with sharks, getting "eaten alive"

      > *Gatria (Gamma Trianguli Australe)

      false prophets?

      > Saturn
      >

      > Subra (Omicron Leonis)
      >
      > CW Leonis (aka the Peanut Nebula, the Peanut Nebula of
      > Leo)

      having to do with championing people who have nothing or next to nothing?

      > Lucida Pictoris (Alpha Pictoris)

      to depict

      > *Malus (Gamma Pyxidis, marking the obsolete
      > constellation Malus, the Mast of the Ship Argo)

      to hang, to show allegiance

      > Uranus
      >

      > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
      >
      > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      overcoming evil, which is turned to success; danger from beasts

      (Harry Potter?)

      > *Castra (Epsilon Capricorni)

      malevolence, destructiveness, violence

      > *Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      poor vision regarding Islam?

      > S Doradus
      >
      > Al Faras al Thani (Lambda Equulei)
      >
      > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; marking the obsolete
      > constellation Phoenicopterus the Flamingo, now known
      > as Grus the Crane)
      >
      > VW Hydri
      >
      > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Mu Arae (has exoplanets)
      >
      > Thackeray's Planetary (nebula; IC 1266 Arae)
      >
      > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)

      Arabic = the charioteer

      (having to do with racing or a race?)

      > *Iron Star (XX Ophiuchi, so nicknamed for its
      > extraordinarily high iron content)

      made of iron

      > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii, a unusually hot star
      > within the Pistol Nebula)
      >
      > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
      > pulsar Terzan 5ad [formally PSR J1748-2446ad], a
      > "millisecond pulsar" which is the fastest known
      > spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)
      >
      > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
      >
      > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      >
      > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
      >
      > Hyman's Burper (GCRT J1745-3009 Scorpii)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Almach (Gamma Andromedae)

      having to do with attainment in the arts

      (JK Rowling?)

      > *Koleon (Mu Arietis)

      Greek = sheath

      (keeping a weapon sheathed)

      > *Vespa (30 Arietis; marking the obsolete constellation
      > Vespa the Wasp)

      attacks, being nasty, being swarmed or mobbed

      > *Teegarden's Star (SO025300.5+165258 Arietis, a nearby
      > high-proper-motion star)

      I seem to remember this star is not a very positive influence

      > *Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae)

      Chinese = whip

      (whipped, punished, spurred on)

      > *ET Cluster (NGC 457 Cassiopeiae, an open cluster
      > around Psi Cassiopeiae)
      >
      > *Menkar (Alpha Ceti)

      gobbled up, victimized

      > *Black Hole Binary (3C75 Ceti; a pair of colliding
      > black holes in the galaxy cluster Abell 400)

      things that are both compelling and both compete for attention

      > *Zibal (Zeta Eridani)

      Arabic = ostriches

      (people who refuse to face reality)

      > *Little Dumbbell Nebula (M-76 Persei)

      a young person acting in a not very smart way

      (kind of sounds like Lindsay Lohan)

      > *WY Trianguli (cataclysmic variable)

      "why"? or maybe things having to do with Wyoming (whose official
      abbreviation is WY)

      > Pallas
      >

      > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
      >
      > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > *Seginus (Gamma Bootis)

      losing through associating with the wrong people

      > *Kraz (Beta Corvi)

      Arabic = the claw

      (clawed, grabbed)

      > Vesta
      >

      > Lucida Circini (Alpha Circini, the brightest star in
      > Circinus the Drafting Compass)

      circumscribed, made an outcast

      > *Keyhole Planetary (MRSL 252 Normae)
      >
      > (MRSL = The MRSL Comparison Catalog of H-II Regions,
      > written by Pavla Marsalkova of the Stefanik
      > Observatory in Prague)

      peeking, spying

      > *Yed Prior (Delta Ophiuchi)

      "immorality, shamelessness, revolution" (Robson)

      ?

      ?