Re: [thefixedstars] Fixed star alignments (July 8, 2007)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14 11:01 PM

      > All alignments as of midnight GMT in London.
      >

      > Asterisks indicate new alignments
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > Rastaban (aka Alwaid; Beta Draconis)
      >
      > *Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)
      >
      > Fudail (Pi Herculis)
      >
      > Lucida Normae (Gamma Normae)
      >
      > Ant Nebula (Menzel 3 Normae)
      >
      > RCW 103 (Normae; a supernova remnant, neutron star
      > and
      > X-ray source)
      >
      > Helkath (Kappa Ophiuchi)
      >
      > NGC 6240 (Ophiuchi; two supermassive galaxies
      > colliding)
      >
      > Sin (Tau Scorpii)
      >
      > Betria (Beta Trianguli Australe)
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)
      >
      > *MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variables)

      > *Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1212 Leonis)

      a cold or angry leader (Vladimir Putin?)

      > Owl Nebula (M-97 Ursae Majoris)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
      >
      > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
      >
      > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
      >
      > S Doradus
      >
      > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
      >
      > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; marking the obsolete
      > constellation Phoenicopterus the Flamingo, now known
      > as Grus the Crane)
      >
      > VW Hydri
      >
      > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Mu Arae (has exoplanets)
      >
      > Thackeray's Planetary (nebula; IC 1266 Arae)
      >
      > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >
      > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
      >
      > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821
      > Sagittarii)
      >
      > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing
      > the
      > pulsar Terzan 5ad [formally PSR J1748-2446ad], a
      > "millisecond pulsar" which is the fastest known
      > spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)
      >
      > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

      a politician trying to take care of his/her base

      > *Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
      >
      > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      >
      > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
      >
      > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Keun Nan Mun Secundus (Chi Andromedae)

      entering from the south upon the heels of another (the
      effects of immigration, legal or illegal?)

      > *Achird (Eta Cassiopeiae)
      >
      > *Pac-Man Nebula (NGC 281 Cassiopeiae)

      voracious (the appetite for corn to make ethanol?)

      > *Liberflux (Tau-4 Eridani, aka 16 Eridani)

      Latin = free flow

      > Pallas
      >

      > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
      >
      > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > *Merga (38 Bootis)

      from the Arabic for "hoe" or "rake"

      (used to weed or clean up waste like fallen leaves)

      > Tchang-Cha (Zeta Corvi)

      Chinese = long sandbank, track of dust

      > Avis Satyra (Eta Corvi)

      Latin = satyr bird (satyr = lecherous)

      > Sombrero Galaxy (M-104 Virginis; spiral galaxy with
      > black hole. I think Phil Sedgwick has identified
      > this
      > object as what Alex Miller-Mignone calls Nemesis)
      >
      > *Lucida Volantis (Beta Volantis, the brightest star
      > in
      > Volans the Flying Fish)

      fanciful or inspirational

      > Vesta
      >

      > Lucida Circini (Alpha Circini, the brightest star in
      > Circinus the Drafting Compass)

      proscribed, leprous

      > *Rutilicus (Zeta Herculis)

      from the Latin for "armpit"