Fixed star alignments (July 8, 2007)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2007
      All alignments as of midnight GMT in London.

      Asterisks indicate new alignments (which weren't there
      a week ago today with a 1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Rastaban (aka Alwaid; Beta Draconis)

      *Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)

      Fudail (Pi Herculis)

      Lucida Normae (Gamma Normae)

      Ant Nebula (Menzel 3 Normae)

      RCW 103 (Normae; a supernova remnant, neutron star and
      X-ray source)

      Helkath (Kappa Ophiuchi)

      NGC 6240 (Ophiuchi; two supermassive galaxies
      colliding)

      Sin (Tau Scorpii)

      Betria (Beta Trianguli Australe)

      Saturn

      Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)

      *MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variables)

      *Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1212 Leonis)

      Owl Nebula (M-97 Ursae Majoris)

      Uranus

      Shih (Sigma Pegasi)

      Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)

      Neptune

      LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      S Doradus

      Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; marking the obsolete
      constellation Phoenicopterus the Flamingo, now known
      as Grus the Crane)

      VW Hydri

      TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      Pluto

      Mu Arae (has exoplanets)

      Thackeray's Planetary (nebula; IC 1266 Arae)

      Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)

      RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)

      Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)

      Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)

      Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)

      Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
      pulsar Terzan 5ad [formally PSR J1748-2446ad], a
      "millisecond pulsar" which is the fastest known
      spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)

      Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

      Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)

      *Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

      *Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)

      Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)

      Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)

      Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      Ceres

      *Keun Nan Mun Secundus (Chi Andromedae)

      *Achird (Eta Cassiopeiae)

      *Pac-Man Nebula (NGC 281 Cassiopeiae)

      *Liberflux (Tau-4 Eridani, aka 16 Eridani)

      Pallas

      Shih (Sigma Pegasi)

      Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)

      Juno

      *Merga (38 Bootis)

      Tchang-Cha (Zeta Corvi)

      Avis Satyra (Eta Corvi)

      Sombrero Galaxy (M-104 Virginis; spiral galaxy with
      black hole. I think Phil Sedgwick has identified this
      object as what Alex Miller-Mignone calls Nemesis)

      *Lucida Volantis (Beta Volantis, the brightest star in
      Volans the Flying Fish)

      Vesta

      Lucida Circini (Alpha Circini, the brightest star in
      Circinus the Drafting Compass)

      *Rutilicus (Zeta Herculis)

      *Kajam (Omega Herculis)

      *Thusia (Gamma Lupi)

      *Keyhole Planetary (MRSL252 Normae)

      Yed Prior (Delta Ophiuchi)

      Acrab (Beta-1 Scorpii)

      Isidis (Delta Scorpii)

      Vrischika (Pi Scorpii)

      Fang (Rho Scorpii)

      Chiron

      Dorsum (Theta Capricorni)

      *CH Cygni

      Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)

      Hole-In-A-Cluster (NGC 6811 Cygni)

      Veil Nebula (NGC 6960 Cygni)

      Deneb Dulfim (Epsilon Delphini)

      Al Kaud (Eta Delphini)

      Al Amud al Salib (Iota Delphini)

      Pae Chaou (Kappa Delphini)

      North Node

      Skat (Delta Aquarii)

      Sadalajir (Zeta-1 Aquarii)

      Seat (Pi Aquarii)

      South Node

      *Thuban (Alpha Draconis)

      M-105 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole
      between 52 and 53 Leonis)

      NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole
      near 52 Leonis)

      Alioth (Epsilon Ursae Majoris)

      Coddington Nebula (IC 2574 Ursae Majoris)

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2007

        > All alignments as of midnight GMT in London.
        >

        > Asterisks indicate new alignments
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > Rastaban (aka Alwaid; Beta Draconis)
        >
        > *Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)
        >
        > Fudail (Pi Herculis)
        >
        > Lucida Normae (Gamma Normae)
        >
        > Ant Nebula (Menzel 3 Normae)
        >
        > RCW 103 (Normae; a supernova remnant, neutron star
        > and
        > X-ray source)
        >
        > Helkath (Kappa Ophiuchi)
        >
        > NGC 6240 (Ophiuchi; two supermassive galaxies
        > colliding)
        >
        > Sin (Tau Scorpii)
        >
        > Betria (Beta Trianguli Australe)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543 Draconis)
        >
        > *MM Hydrae (cataclysmic variables)

        > *Frosty Leo Nebula (IRAS 09371+1212 Leonis)

        a cold or angry leader (Vladimir Putin?)

        > Owl Nebula (M-97 Ursae Majoris)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
        >
        > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
        >
        > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
        >
        > S Doradus
        >
        > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
        >
        > Phoenicopterus (Epsilon Gruis; marking the obsolete
        > constellation Phoenicopterus the Flamingo, now known
        > as Grus the Crane)
        >
        > VW Hydri
        >
        > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Mu Arae (has exoplanets)
        >
        > Thackeray's Planetary (nebula; IC 1266 Arae)
        >
        > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
        >
        > Al Durajah (Gamma Ophiuchi)
        >
        > RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Pistol Star (V4647 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821
        > Sagittarii)
        >
        > Mouse Pulsar (G359.23-0.82 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing
        > the
        > pulsar Terzan 5ad [formally PSR J1748-2446ad], a
        > "millisecond pulsar" which is the fastest known
        > spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)
        >
        > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Silkworm Nebula (CRL 5385 Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Garden-Sprinkler Nebula (Henize 3-1475 Sagittarii)

        a politician trying to take care of his/her base

        > *Galactic Center (Sagittarius A* Sagittarii)
        >
        > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
        >
        > Girtab (Kappa Scorpii)
        >
        > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > *Keun Nan Mun Secundus (Chi Andromedae)

        entering from the south upon the heels of another (the
        effects of immigration, legal or illegal?)

        > *Achird (Eta Cassiopeiae)
        >
        > *Pac-Man Nebula (NGC 281 Cassiopeiae)

        voracious (the appetite for corn to make ethanol?)

        > *Liberflux (Tau-4 Eridani, aka 16 Eridani)

        Latin = free flow

        > Pallas
        >

        > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
        >
        > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
        >

        > Juno
        >

        > *Merga (38 Bootis)

        from the Arabic for "hoe" or "rake"

        (used to weed or clean up waste like fallen leaves)

        > Tchang-Cha (Zeta Corvi)

        Chinese = long sandbank, track of dust

        > Avis Satyra (Eta Corvi)

        Latin = satyr bird (satyr = lecherous)

        > Sombrero Galaxy (M-104 Virginis; spiral galaxy with
        > black hole. I think Phil Sedgwick has identified
        > this
        > object as what Alex Miller-Mignone calls Nemesis)
        >
        > *Lucida Volantis (Beta Volantis, the brightest star
        > in
        > Volans the Flying Fish)

        fanciful or inspirational

        > Vesta
        >

        > Lucida Circini (Alpha Circini, the brightest star in
        > Circinus the Drafting Compass)

        proscribed, leprous

        > *Rutilicus (Zeta Herculis)

        from the Latin for "armpit"