Yahoo! News Story - Pulsing Giant Star Dissected - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
      Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Pulsing Giant Star Dissected - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070703/sc_space/pulsinggiantstardissected

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2007

        > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
        > Personal message:
        >

        > Pulsing Giant Star Dissected - Yahoo! News

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070703/sc_space/pulsinggiantstardissected

        BLGD (Because Links Go Dead), here's the story.

        I'll have coordinates for S Orionis before too long.

        Mark A. Holmes

        Story begins.--

        Pulsing Giant Star Dissected

        Dave Mosher
        Staff Writer
        SPACE.com Tue Jul 3, 6:45 AM ET

        Using the largest telescopes available, astronomers have dissected the
        dusty, gassy layers of the red giant S Orionis-a star that pulsates in
        size from a diameter roughly equal to the orbit of Mars to that of
        Jupiter every 410 days.

        The information provides a glimpse at the future of our own sun, which
        will puff into a red giant like S Orionis in about 5 billion years,
        said astronomer David Boboltz of the U.S. Naval Observatory.

        "No study of a red giant has been done to this level, looking at
        infrared and radio-wave views simultaneously," Boboltz said. "This
        really show us where the layers are."

        Giant mystery

        Red giants are older versions of the sun that, once they have burned
        off most of their hydrogen fuel, begin to burn helium. This creates
        intense "flashes" of radiation that puff the star up to more than 100
        times its original size as it pushes stellar gas and dust out into
        space. S Orionis sheds about the mass of Earth each year.

        "A lot of material escapes from the star's gravity, and begins to form
        beautiful planetary nebulas," Boboltz said. "But gravity overcomes a
        lot of gas and dust that gets pulled back into the star, starting the
        cycle all over again and forming a kind of pulse."

        Where those layers are located and exactly what they're made of,
        however, was a mystery until Boboltz and his teams' investigation,
        which was detailed in a June issue of the Astrophysical Journal.

        The team measured the shells of gas and dust surrounding the star to
        most detailed level to date, discovering that the star's dusty shell
        of corundum-a compound used in sandpaper-was twice as large as
        previously thought. They also showed dusty corundum mixing heavily
        with gaseous silicon monoxide, a compound astrophysicists thought
        existed as a dust outside of red giants.

        "We've essentially mapped the envelopes of material around these
        stars, which has never really been done before," Boboltz said.

        Big investigation

        The researchers aimed two of Earth's biggest interferometer telescopes
        at the star to peer at its layers: the Very Long Baseline Array
        (VLBA), a series of 10 telescopes spread over 5,350 miles that can see
        radio waves, and the infrared-seeing Very Large Telescope
        Interferometer (VLTI) in Chile.

        If the telescopes were in New York, Boboltz noted, they would allow
        someone to read a newspaper in California. But regular sources of
        radio and infrared waves would make S Orionis look more like "a blob
        of emissions," so his team recorded its "masers," or naturally
        occurring lasers.

        Astrophysicists aren't entirely sure how they form, but the basic
        principles of a laser apply: Some process evenly energizes one kind of
        molecule to produce a "synchronized" wave of light.

        "Stuff like corundum and silicon monoxide, which we detected in S
        Orionis, emit their own unique masers," Boboltz said. By watching the
        masers move over the period of a few months, they recorded an
        extremely detailed picture of the red giant's pulsating behavior.

        A video exists of another pulsating red giant star, call TX Cam, but
        Boboltz expects to surpass it's a visualization of only radio images.

        "Soon we'll be able to create even better views of the pulsating
        cocoon around S Orionis by looking at water masers," Boboltz said,
        which exist at the farthest reaches of the cocoon. "We also hope to
        explain how a planetary nebula forms from a red giant near the end of
        its life as a white dwarf star."

        --Story ends.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2007
          --- mahtezcatpoc <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

          > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew
          > Holmes
          > <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you
          > a news article.
          > > (Email address has not been verified.)

          > > Personal message:
          > >

          > > Pulsing Giant Star Dissected - Yahoo! News

          http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070703/sc_space/pulsinggiantstardissected

          > I'll have coordinates for S Orionis before too long.

          22 Gemini 03.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_Orionis

          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265