Re: Yahoo! News Story - Dual explosions marked death of huge distant star - Yaho

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2007

      > I'll have the coordinates for this phenomenon in a little while.

      Since links go dead:

      "Two explosions observed in 2004 and 2006 in a galaxy 78 million light
      years from Earth were part of the fiery death of one of the most
      massive stars known to exist, astronomers said on Wednesday.

      "Writing in the journal Nature, the scientists described the supernova
      death of a star estimated to be 50 to 100 times as massive as our sun
      in a galaxy called UGC4904 in the Lynx constellation. A supernova is a
      gigantic explosion that marks the demise of a star.

      "The researchers said Japanese astronomer Koichi Itagaki discovered a
      faint celestial explosion that remained visible for about 10 days in
      2004, then detected a second, much more powerful explosion two years
      later.

      "'In the 2004 outburst episode, the star lost a significant amount of
      the external mantle, while in the 2006 episode its heart collapsed,
      likely forming a black hole, while the rest of the star exploded as a
      very luminous supernova,'" Andrea Pastorello of the Queen's University
      Belfast in Northern Ireland, one of the researchers, said by e-mail.

      "Pastorello and other researchers determined that the two explosions
      were in the exact same place. This marked the first time a double
      explosion like this has been observed, adding to the understanding of
      the life cycle of stars, they said."...

      Uppsala (UGC) 4904 is at 8 Leo 34.