Yahoo! News Story - Dual explosions marked death of huge distant star - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2007
      Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Dual explosions marked death of huge distant star - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070613/sc_nm/supernova_dc_1

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2007
        I'll have the coordinates for this phenomenon in a little while.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2007

          > I'll have the coordinates for this phenomenon in a little while.

          Since links go dead:

          "Two explosions observed in 2004 and 2006 in a galaxy 78 million light
          years from Earth were part of the fiery death of one of the most
          massive stars known to exist, astronomers said on Wednesday.

          "Writing in the journal Nature, the scientists described the supernova
          death of a star estimated to be 50 to 100 times as massive as our sun
          in a galaxy called UGC4904 in the Lynx constellation. A supernova is a
          gigantic explosion that marks the demise of a star.

          "The researchers said Japanese astronomer Koichi Itagaki discovered a
          faint celestial explosion that remained visible for about 10 days in
          2004, then detected a second, much more powerful explosion two years
          later.

          "'In the 2004 outburst episode, the star lost a significant amount of
          the external mantle, while in the 2006 episode its heart collapsed,
          likely forming a black hole, while the rest of the star exploded as a
          very luminous supernova,'" Andrea Pastorello of the Queen's University
          Belfast in Northern Ireland, one of the researchers, said by e-mail.

          "Pastorello and other researchers determined that the two explosions
          were in the exact same place. This marked the first time a double
          explosion like this has been observed, adding to the understanding of
          the life cycle of stars, they said."...

          Uppsala (UGC) 4904 is at 8 Leo 34.