Re: Fixed star alignments (May 20, 2007)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2007

      > As of noon CDT.
      >

      > Asterisks indicate new alignments (that weren't there
      > a week ago today with a 1 00' orb).
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *Rasalgethi (Alpha Herculis)
      >
      > *Minkowski's Butterfly (Minkowski 2-9 Ophiuchi)
      >
      > Grafias (Zeta-2 Scorpii)
      >
      > *Denebakrab (Mu-1 Scorpii)

      control of the stinger

      > Nova Scorpii 2007 (V1280 Scorpii)
      >
      > X-Ray Nova Scorpii 1994 (GRO J1655-40 Scorpii)
      >
      > Northern Jewel Box (NGC 6231 Scorpii; star cluster)

      treasures of the North (the Arctic environment, in danger through
      global warming)

      > Prawn Nebula (IC 4628 Scorpii)

      concern with fetuses, abortion, or seafood

      > Saturn
      >

      > Outcast Star (SDSS J0907450+024507 Hydrae, a recently
      > discovered "runaway star" which is leaving the galaxy
      > at a high rate of speed)
      >
      > NGC 2903 (Leonis; a galaxy)
      >
      > RR Pictoris (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Naos (Zeta Puppis)
      >
      > CP Puppis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris)
      >
      > Tania Borealis (Lambda Ursae Majoris)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > Moth Nebula (Sharpless 1-89 Cygni)
      >
      > Shih (Sigma Pegasi)
      >
      > Fum al Samakah (Beta Piscium)
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > LZ Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
      >
      > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
      >
      > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
      >
      > VW Hydri
      >
      > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Mu Arae
      >
      > *Thackeray's Planetary (IC 1266 Arae)

      doing what one has to do to survive or prosper (not really seeing
      things as they are--this is a nebula)

      > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >
      > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      Arabic = blessings from God

      > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > RS Ophiuchi
      >
      > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarius)
      >
      > Integral X-Ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Terzan 5 (Sagittarii; globular cluster containing the
      > pulsar Terzan 5ad [formally PSR J1748-2446ad], a
      > "millisecond pulsar" which is the fastest known
      > spinning pulsar at 716 times per second)
      >
      > Apollyon (Iota-1 Scorpii)
      >
      > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      >
      > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; Ptolemy's Cluster)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Groombridge 34 (GQ & GX Andromedae; a nearby double
      > star)
      >
      > *Kurdah (Xi Cephei)

      Arabic = the blaze

      > *IX Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

      IX is the Roman numeral nine; does this have something to do with
      things that come in nines (like the Supreme Court)?

      > *Acamar (Theta Eridani)

      Arabic = "the end of the river" (final destination, end of the
      journey, last call)

      > *Machina Electrica (Omega Fornacis; marks the obsolete
      > constellation Machina Electrica, the Electrical
      > Machine)

      Machina Electrica: "It is said to give a scientific spirit, a mind in
      advance of its time and peculiar or idealistic views." (Robson)

      Also: having to do with electrical or electronic machinery?

      > *Seif Borealis (Phi Persei)

      Arabic/Latin = northern sword (seif is Arabic for sword)

      > *NGC 326 (Piscium; galaxy, possibly with colliding
      > black holes, near 67 Piscium, midway between Phi
      > Piscium and Epsilon Andromedae)

      I'll have to look at this and several others as well to figure them out

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Cheeseburger Nebula (NGC 7026 Cygni)
      >
      > *Baby Dumbbell Nebula (Humason 1-2 Cygni)
      >
      > *The Horseshoe (Harrington STAR 28 Cygni; an asterism)
      >
      > Achernar (Alpha Eridani)
      >
      > *Jih (Kappa Pegasi)
      >

      > Juno
      >

      > Alchiba (Alpha Corvi)
      >
      > Algorab (Delta Corvi)
      >
      > *Minkar (Epsilon Corvi)
      >
      > The Stargate (Harrington STAR 20 Corvi; a small
      > asterism)
      >
      > *Octopus Nebula (Drilling 1 Velorum, aka ESO 215-04)
      >
      > *NGC 4697 (Virginis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > --->The Jaws (Harrington STAR 21 Virginis; a
      > small asterism)

      having to do with sharks (actual or figurative)

      > Vesta
      >

      > Rastaban (aka Alwaid; Beta Draconis)

      "It gives loss of property, violence, criminal inclinations, and
      accidents." (Robson)

      > *Kuma (Nu-1 Draconis)

      "at last" (eventually)

      > Lucida Normae (Gamma Normae)

      concern with ethics

      > RCW 103 (Normae)
      >
      > Helkath (Kappa Ophiuchi)

      Hebrew = smoothness

      > *NGC 6240 (Ophiuchi; two galaxies, each supermassive,
      > colliding)
      >
      >--> *Sin (Tau Scorpii)

      Chinese = the heart

      > Betria (Beta Trianguli Australe)