Habitable planet around star?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24 5:55 PM
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18293978/?GT1=9246

      "Scientists find most Earth-like planet yet

      Models predict planet should be either rocky or covered with oceans

      By Ker Than
      Staff Writer

      An Earth-like planet spotted outside our solar system is the first
      found that could support liquid water and harbor life, scientists
      announced today.

      Liquid water is a key ingredient for life as we know it. The newfound
      planet is located at the "Goldilocks" distance — not too close and
      not too far from its star to keep water on its surface from freezing
      or vaporizing away.

      And while astronomers are not yet able to look for signs of biology
      on the planet, the discovery is a milestone in planet detection and
      the search for extraterrestrial life, one with the potential to
      profoundly change our outlook on the universe.

      "The goal is to find life on a planet like the Earth around a star
      like the sun. This is a step in that direction," said study leader
      Stephane Udry of the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland. "Each time
      you go one step forward you are very happy."

      The new planet is about 50 percent bigger than Earth and about five
      times more massive. The new "super-Earth" is called Gliese 581 C,
      after its star, Gliese 581, a diminutive red dwarf star located 20.5
      light-years away that is about one-third as massive as the Sun."

      Gliese 581 is in Libra; I don't know the zodiacal coordinates just
      yet.

      5 Earth masses; I think that means if you weighed 100 pounds on
      Earth, you'd weigh 500 on Gliese 581 C...