Re: BBC E-mail: Dwarf stars emit powerful pulse

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22 12:41 PM

      > Mark Andrew Holmes saw this story on the BBC News website and
      thought you
      > should see it.
      >

      > ** Dwarf stars emit powerful pulse **
      > A class of failed star emits lighthouse-like beams of radio waves
      thousands of times brighter than any from the Sun.
      > < http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/6574433.stm >

      This faint M9 red dwarf star TVLM 513-46546 (call it Hallinan's Star,
      after the Irish astronomer who's been studying it, Greg Hallinan)
      flashes in radio about once every two hours.

      It's (I think) at 15h01m08.2 right ascension, declination +22 50' 02",

      http://ad.usno.navy.mil/wds/int4/int4_15.html

      (it's not far from the top of the page)

      which would be in Bootes, about halfway between Xi Bootis and 45
      Bootis, right next to the staff that the Herdsman is holding in his
      right hand, at 4 Scorpio 40.